Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cruise control speed limit system

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Obviously, the system in the OP's former BMW is different and that particular feature is not found on Audis. The description "Cruise control speed limit system" as found in your brochure is accurate - it limits the speed of the vehicle to that which is set. That it can be temporarily overridden by pressing on the accelerator or disabled by hitting the brake pedal doesn't change the fidelity of the description. The cruise control feature set is just different than than BMW, just like Audi's ACC prob has a different feature set than that BMW.

To a different point, I would not be comfortable with either a standard cruise control or ACC that prevented me from instantly overriding the speed with the accelerator, especially in an emergency maneuver situation. I'd bet Audi designed theirs accordingly.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
To a different point, I would not be comfortable with either a standard cruise control or ACC that prevented me from instantly overriding the speed with the accelerator, especially in an emergency maneuver situation. I'd bet Audi designed theirs accordingly.
+1. And why, if you had cruise going, would you have your foot on the gas pedal anyway? I see no reason why you'd be pushing on the gas in the first place.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously, the system in the OP's former BMW is different and that particular feature is not found on Audis. The description "Cruise control speed limit system" as found in your brochure is accurate - it limits the speed of the vehicle to that which is set. That it can be temporarily overridden by pressing on the accelerator or disabled by hitting the brake pedal doesn't change the fidelity of the description. The cruise control feature set is just different than than BMW, just like Audi's ACC prob has a different feature set than that BMW.

I'm pretty sure BMW and Audi have the same type of Cruise Control implementation, the accelerator supersedes the cruise Control settings... In fact, it may very well be a standard implementation with all cars.... I had a 2009 328 and aside from ACC features, it was the same
Old 09-11-2014, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by X3NEIZE
I'm pretty sure BMW and Audi have the same type of Cruise Control implementation, the accelerator supersedes the cruise Control settings... In fact, it may very well be a standard implementation with all cars.... I had a 2009 328 and aside from ACC features, it was the same
Just referencing what the OP posted re his former BMW.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just referencing what the OP posted re his former BMW.
I'm just agreeing with your observation.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The speed limiter on the BMW did indeed override, if you floored it then it would click into stand acceleration.

PJred, in the UK, the cruise control is broadly pointless, there is not many roads I use in the day time (and I use most ofd them!) that you can get further than a couple of miles before you have to apply brakes. Our roads are not like the many I have been on in the US, we are chocker block full!

Thats why I liked the speed limiter so much, you were still in control of the car. Cruise control, you are not in control and further more, where are you supposed to put your foot? This is always my problem with any cruise control. you need your foot in a position where you can hit the break pedal so really its only natural position when not on break is the accelerator, hence why I was excited by the prospect of speed limiting on the audi.

But hey ho, we have established that the words 'speed limit' was not necessary on the end of cruise control and it confused me!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by garethsnaim
The speed limiter on the BMW did indeed override, if you floored it then it would click into stand acceleration.

PJred, in the UK, the cruise control is broadly pointless, there is not many roads I use in the day time (and I use most ofd them!) that you can get further than a couple of miles before you have to apply brakes. Our roads are not like the many I have been on in the US, we are chocker block full!

Thats why I liked the speed limiter so much, you were still in control of the car. Cruise control, you are not in control and further more, where are you supposed to put your foot? This is always my problem with any cruise control. you need your foot in a position where you can hit the break pedal so really its only natural position when not on break is the accelerator, hence why I was excited by the prospect of speed limiting on the audi.

But hey ho, we have established that the words 'speed limit' was not necessary on the end of cruise control and it confused me!
Seeing that you are in the UK, quite agree that Cruise Control is of limited value here (I only use it when traveling through SPECS controlled areas), although I think ACC goes a fair way to addressing many of the issues and almost avoids the need to keep your foot hovering over the brake pedal. Still not sure what equipment list you are referring to as the UK brochure makes no mention of Speed Limit in their description of ACC. If it is from a website decoding the codes on the label in the boot then I suspect it is the victim of a literal translation from German to English causing confusion
Old 03-09-2016, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Your point was indeed simple and important. It is a stupid mistake not to have this.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Blake
Your point was indeed simple and important. It is a stupid mistake not to have this.
What point and what mistake? I still don't understand what the OP was asking. The cruise control basically works like very other system I've used except that some have "Adaptive Cruise Control" and some don't.

I don't have a clue what "Cruise Control Speed Limit" means in the context the OP asked about. Every car I have had, including my 2012 BMW, you can push the accelerator with the cruise set and the car would accelerate then drop back to the set speed.

I don't have a clue why you would need a feature that keeps it from accelerating past that. If you are incapable of keeping your foot off the accelerator when you don't want to speed up perhaps you should not be driving.

Last edited by jjsC6; 03-09-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by David Blake
Please read post #10.

So you are agreeing with the OP? I have never heard of a speed limiting cruise control.

Quick Reply: Cruise control speed limit system