Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cupholders

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaybanks9
What drives me nuts is the sunglasses holder
Yeah, failure of epic proportions. WTF fits in there properly I'll never know.

Also, be warned, DO NOT put insulated foam cups, they will break from the cup holder's claws. Luckily I only drink water...

Last edited by Metallic-Force; 08-14-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Yeah, failure of epic proportions. WTF fits in there properly I'll never know.
A reading glass? lol!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cup holders don't bother me since I don't drink much while in the car. If anything, bottled water and I usually put that in the door slot. As people mentioned, the subglass holder is so tiny... I can fit my 19 month old sunglasses if that. Both pairs of Prada sunglassss Re entirely too large for that small space and the cases barely fit in the arm rest compartment. :-(
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful also when putting styrofoam cups in the cupholders. For some reason, the springs they have put on them things are very strong, and the force they excert on the cup as you pull them out will rip the bottom off and you will make a fine mess!!

Germans SUCK at cupholder design.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by javicadena
Be careful also when putting styrofoam cups in the cupholders. For some reason, the springs they have put on them things are very strong, and the force they excert on the cup as you pull them out will rip the bottom off and you will make a fine mess!!

Germans SUCK at cupholder design.
Hmmm... hopefully you dont know that from experience.

I wondered about this... they seem very strong to me as well, and preventing having a cup being punctured is another reason why I went to the travel mug approach.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good thing we don't buy these cars for their cup holders. I for one am excited about getting more american cup holders in my C7. Thought I would share two stories to show it is not that bad in the C7

My C5 has 4 cup holders. None of which will hold a large bottle of antyhing. Two in the back which are flimsy and never used. One on the dash. You slide it out and the drink sits right up on the windsheild, so the cold beverage starts sweating right away and drips on your wood trim by the gear shifter. It blocks one vent as well when in use. The 4th is genious. It is in the armrest and you have to open the rest to get to it and use it. Talk about functionality. In fact now that I think about it, there are two in that armrest. Just great placement. The cup holder that made the most sense in my model was an option that mine does not have. It opened up on the center counsel and could be useful.

The worst one I ever had was my 02 BMW 530 sport. Epic fail. Two little disc like arms would extend out from under the climate control and radio of the center dash. Problem was two fold. It could only hold slim bottles as it would rub the dash otherwise. It blocked the climate control buttons 100% and most of the radio if I remember right. The worst was the part that held your bottle of water was so low that if you made a turn with any speed, that bottle was launched from the holder. Needless to say I didn't drink in my Bimmer.

So if the cup holders are the worst thing about the car, I guess that is a good problem to have. I will take these with a C7 over temp controled Chrysler cup holders any day.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I guess everything is relative. My B8 A4 console cup holders were next to useless. Only small cups would fit. The C7, while not perfect, are larger and seem to hold more containers.
Also, let's not forget the cooling vent in the glove box. For those who may have missed it, there's a small adjustable vent in the back that allows A/C cool air into the box. (Not sure if this is available in all A6 trims). I've used it on a hot day when on longer drives and it does help to keep a bottle of coke cold longer. Obviously, this would be useless for an open container but is a nice touch in the summer.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I typically have a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts every day on my way to work, and it doesn't fit. It's styrofoam, and I do worry about breakage. My short term solution has been to put a hard plastic cup in each cup holder and put whatever cup I'm drinking out of into the plastic cup. Thanks, glad it wasn't just me.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

yeah maybe Germans only drink red bull, since that is the only can that will fit and not get destroyed by the death grip of the cup holder claws. if only they spent more time on the suspension to grip that hard, we would be all doing 2G turns
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forget about the problem with large cups or with water bottles. Small coffee cups do not fit either because if you do force one past the jaws of steel springholders, then the armrest which protrudes too far forward tears the lid off of a small coffee cup.

Of course in previous years' A-6's, the arm rest was adjustable forward and back which could have solved the problem of the crappy cup holders, but the adjustable armerest went the way of the fog lights, folding side mirrors, quality seat material and quality floor mats as Audi has continued to cheap out on more and more "standard" equipment each new model year.

And to the fellow who recommended aftermarket cupholders, I would appreciate it if you could post a link to a brand that worked for you since the OEM ones in the A6 are useless as, ....well, you know.

Quick Reply: Cupholders