Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Deceptive advertising?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deceptive advertising?

Many of us have undoubtedly seen the new Audi A6 commercial, where the guy drives up to his parent's house for the holidays, parks his Prestige and walks into the front door, as his parents sneak out the back and jump into his A6 and take off for a joyride in the snow. Cute. Now, disregarding the "How did they get in and start it without the key?" issue, this is outright false advertising.

The 2013 A6 Prestige, with 20" Sport Package, (as pictured) comes equipped with summer tires only. Of course, Quattro with these tires would grip the road under those mounds of cotton (as pictured) like a Gecko, but they're a death trap in snow.

Oops?
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to the producer/director(s) of the commercial and they said, and I quote "We specifically instructed the owner actor of the car to leave his key in the car, although at first we had thought of sneaking a spare key to the parent actors and furthermore, we had no idea it was going to snow the day we shot the commercial!"

I MEAN COME ON! SERIOUSLY........?

Last edited by Jatmobil; 12-10-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have no problem with key, but really, summer tires in the snow? If I didn't know better, I'd think those wheels were available with all-season tires, only to later find out I need to spend another couple of thousand for a winter package, or swap the summers for all-seasons. Not cool.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seriously? Iran is close to having nuclear weapons, Washington is about to drive us over a cliff and you're pointing out errors in an Audi commercial. What about all those winter car commercials where the streets are wet, snow is in the yards, and there's no sign of moisture on the shiny new cars? It a commercial for God's sake. Lets not start a class action suit against Audi because you can't order those wheels with all season tires.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No one mentioned class action lawsuit, nuclear weapons, or Iran. I merely find it disingenuous to demonstrate wheels available only with summer tires, in the snow.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like they said in my quote above, they had no idea it would snow that day!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AcuraUpToAudi
No one mentioned class action lawsuit, nuclear weapons, or Iran. I merely find it disingenuous to demonstrate wheels available only with summer tires, in the snow.
I think this is one of the areas where Audi missed the mark (there are precious few of those). Especially in climates where snow is possible there should be at least one option for All Season tires. That was originally there in 2012 with 18" wheels, but as I understand it, there is no longer any combination available with all season tires. I live in CO. When I compared the A6 to competing offers, I added $1500 to the cost of the Audi because I KNEW I would have to spend it within months of my initial purchase. Forget about the emotion of if, it changed the cost profile of the A6 in a disadvantageous way.

Having said that, for me, I don't find the commercial disingenuous - mostly because I believe that the target demographic for this car is well enough informed about the capabilities of "Summer tires" not to attempt driving in snow with them... and is also keenly aware of the fact that the car COMES with summer tires, and that they will have to be swapped out with at LEAST all seasons before the snow flies.

Now... about that corner of my garage that is occupied by a stack of tires...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Look, this commercial is not designed to be making a specific claim of any kind. It's just a somewhat amusing portrayal of an A6, no different from the hundreds of car commercials we see every day on TV - an ad in the form of entertainment.

If Audi had said in the ad that "this A6 will perform in deep snow as depicted equipped with summer performance tires mounted on 20" wheels", that would be a specific claim, which this ad is not. Same with the key - there was no claim that anyone can drive off in an A6 without one (although to be completely correct, I believe it can be done if the car was left running). Was the key left in the car? On the counter for the parents to grab? Does it really matter?

If the OP believes that this commercial should be taken to task for false advertising then he/she should also be upset with Audi that LED headlights will not actually eliminate vampires. Audi of late has chosen fun ways to advertise the car - I for one, enjoy ithem. As someone else pointed out, I agree that there are other more important things to be upset about than picking nits with these ads.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by last911
Seriously? Iran is close to having nuclear weapons, Washington is about to drive us over a cliff and you're pointing out errors in an Audi commercial. What about all those winter car commercials where the streets are wet, snow is in the yards, and there's no sign of moisture on the shiny new cars? It a commercial for God's sake. Lets not start a class action suit against Audi because you can't order those wheels with all season tires.
My Audi S6 and the world of Audi is my escape form this horrid reality. I don't know how else to say it.

....can we talk about another commercial error, please ? ;-)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If the OP believes that this commercial should be taken to task for false advertising then he/she should also be upset with Audi that LED headlights will not actually eliminate vampires.
Wait... what? The LED's dont kill vampires?? Surely they at least slow them down... RIGHT?

Quick Reply: Deceptive advertising?