Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Deciding on A6, A7 and A8

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on A6, A7 and A8

I have the new car bug and cant shake it so I think its time. Right now I have a 04 A8L and love the room and been spoiled for the last 5 1/2 years.

My problem is, I dont think I need the room but I want it. Im 6'4 and wondering the room in the A6( and A7(same chassis right?). Can any of you taller guys give some input with folks in the back seat and the room you have in the front?

I like the A6 overall. The front of the A7 looks great but rear looks kind of funny and turning me off of the car.

I have an appt to test drive the 2012 A7 on Monday at non audi dealer thats close by. Cant find a A6 close by(with in 20 mins drive).

I know I will be completely satisfied with the A8 but trying to save a 20k if I know I will be content with the A6 or A7.

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 2012 A6 for 2 years, before that a 2007 S6, and before that, a 2005 A6. I am 6'8". I always buy Audis due to the fact that I fit in them, and I love their products. In my A6, I had to move the seat up to allow people to sit behind me. BUT, I was able to drive it comfortably, so long as it was not a long voyage. Rarely do I have 4 people in my car, but often have 3. The last option was for someone to sit behind me.

I traded to an S4, which I find just as comfortable as an A6 for my driving. I think at 6'4", unless you constantly have people behind you, you should be just fine.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikesd1980

I have an appt to test drive the 2012 A7 on Monday at non audi dealer thats close by. Cant find a A6 close by(with in 20 mins drive).

I know I will be completely satisfied with the A8 but trying to save a 20k if I know I will be content with the A6 or A7.

Thanks for your input!
Let us know on Monday after you actually drive the car.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same problem.. I was choosing between A6 and A7. I don't have a problem as you (I'm 6') but I was looking at overall car as both as a value and performance/comfort.

A7 has really nice styling in the front. The back is debatable (it may grow on you, or it may not - it didn't for me) but A6 has quite a bit of advantages over A7 and IS cheaper.

Here's why I went with A6

1) It's performing better. A6 and A7 are identical cars as far as powertrain and everything else goes.. The difference is really in chasis. A7 is also heavier.

2) Cut off back makes A7 uncomfortable for some people in the back (my friend hit their head in the back). It's a big car but comfort has been really killed by having less space in the back. So for the sake of new design they sacrificed space.. not something I exactly appreciate.

3) Price is $10k more for A7 similarly equipped and I really can't justify that for just the body styling. Right now, A7 deals will be harder to make or dealers will haggle because it's a hot new car. I just don't think it's worth the premium in price.

I think A8 is a great car but

1) It's really expensive and the A6 is closer to A8 now in interior then every before. For my personally I wouldn't buy an A8 now at all. I'd rather go for S6 than A8.

2) When I sat in A6 I was mesmerized.. the new design, interior, technology simply blew me away.. THEN, I sat in A8. It felt like the SAME car (slightly bigger but not much). This really sold me on A6 because in essence they all felt the same inside but A6 was cheapest and I didn't really sacrifice anything quite the contrary compared to A7 I actually gained in performance and space.

A6 all the way I say.. that's my humble opinion.. I'm sure some others might disagree.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you are posting in an A6 forum my guess is you will get biased suggestions, I think the 3 models are amazing, personally I love the A7 is just a sexy car and you don't see that many, which I like.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nfinity

I think A8 is a great car but

1) It's really expensive and the A6 is closer to A8 now in interior then every before. For my personally I wouldn't buy an A8 now at all. I'd rather go for S6 than A8.

2) When I sat in A6 I was mesmerized.. the new design, interior, technology simply blew me away.. THEN, I sat in A8. It felt like the SAME car (slightly bigger but not much). This really sold me on A6 because in essence they all felt the same inside but A6 was cheapest and I didn't really sacrifice anything quite the contrary compared to A7 I actually gained in performance and space.

A6 all the way I say.. that's my humble opinion.. I'm sure some others might disagree.
My thoughts exactly. Just patiently waiting for Monday to test drive and probably make a decision this week. I am buying from a dealer, just didnt want to spend all day testing driving all 3 cars.

Originally Posted by feralc
Well if you are posting in an A6 forum my guess is you will get biased suggestions, I think the 3 models are amazing, personally I love the A7 is just a sexy car and you don't see that many, which I like.
I didnt want to start 2 threads in both sections and I know A7 and A6 guys be on both sides and thought I wouldnt really get a bias opinion
Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
I have the new car bug .... I dont think I need the room .... with folks in the back seat ... the A7 looks kind of funny and turning me off ... but trying to save a 20k ... I will be content with the A6.

Thanks for your input!
You don't need my input - read between the lines.

I like the A7 because I think it looks better, I'm short and don't have any friends to fill the rear seat.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A8 all the way. To me there is no comparison between the A8 and the A6. AS good as the A6 is, the A8 is clearly in a class above.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sanjay0864
A8 all the way. To me there is no comparison between the A8 and the A6. AS good as the A6 is, the A8 is clearly in a class above.
+1
Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sanjay0864
That's because the A8 is.... literally a class above.

You can't realistically compare the two cars.

It's the same thing as trying to compare a 5 series with a 7 series, they are two totally different cars with two totally different audiences.

Quick Reply: Deciding on A6, A7 and A8