Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Diesel Polution

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the hunger for crazy lawsuits in America begins...
http://blog.caranddriver.com/oh-lawd-firms-trip-over-one-another-filing-class-action-lawsuits-against-vw/
Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Give it time

This is a huge blow to VW/Audi - fines that could go up to $37,500 per vehicle or $18 Billion. As well as to those diesel lovers who argued they are benefiting the environment
Agree on huge hit to Audi as well as VW. Sales of Audis, both new and used, could take a dive and it won't just be diesels, but the whole brand.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjim
Agree on huge hit to Audi as well as VW. Sales of Audis, both new and used, could take a dive and it won't just be diesels, but the whole brand.
Not just VW, others will be appearing soon. Diesels will be in trouble in the USA but the EU are too embedded in diesel to change quickly.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjim
Originally Posted by DB22
Not just VW, others will be appearing soon. Diesels will be in trouble in the USA but the EU are too embedded in diesel to change quickly.
I think this is being vastly over-estimated. People are still buying GM products after being linked to the deaths of 117+. People still buy Toyota's even with faulty air bags that could fill your face with shrapnel. People still buy Chrysler/Jeeps with fuel tanks that can explode. People still buy Fords...the list keeps right on going.

Will Audi continue to have the 60th month of record sales? I doubt that. But, like all other brands, it will survive and given the quick acceptance/ownership of the problem (compared to Chrysler/GM/Toyota) come out positively on the back end. Minus a few million in the coffers.

Besides, it isn't like VW/Audi's cheating directly resulted in the death of a customer! Perspective here.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I liked this article on the VW 2.0 diesel issue. Of course, the author has the advantage of hindsight:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-mad...180606377.html
Old 09-25-2015, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NoahWeb

Besides, it isn't like VW/Audi's cheating directly resulted in the death of a customer! Perspective here.
At least, not an Audi customer. You will probably never know what the people were driving who died from these NOx belchers.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
At least, not an Audi customer. You will probably never know what the people were driving who died from these NOx belchers.
Do you know what effect your Chipwerke has on emissions?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audi40
Do you know what effect your Chipwerke has on emissions?
Yes, it emits more power
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The latest update I've heard is the following:

US A6 3.0L TDI owners have SCR system (adblue), there is no emissions issue with the SCR System. Don't believe the people saying "wait to see what happens with the 3.0L engine" unless they have specifics. Its likely they just dislike the diesel engines and are just spewing FUD.

Diesel is in the EPA crosshairs at this time and they are moving forward with some third party test houses to test other diesel engines from Audi and various other manufacturers. Emissions testing of diesel engines just got a big budget boost and within 1-2 months pretty much all diesels will have been tested.

The 2.0L is a completely different story. Because it only has EGR and with the additional workload brought by a software update will do make two obvious problems out of the gate: lower fuel economy and power.

The EGR also may be undersized for the duty with the software emissions fix. Think clogged/cracked veins due to the extra duty (not unlike cholesterol). I would guess the "fix" for the 2.0L will be two-fold, a software update to "fix emissions" and a redesigned EGR if/when there is a problem. The general consensus is two-fold: the EGR is undersized for this duty and there are some mechanical concerns related to a redesigned part. Further, I think 2.0L engine customers can expect an extension of their emissions warranty. I'd be hopeful VW would put a 120K warranty on it and put their money where their mouths are. I doubt much past 120K because of DPF concerns.

Of course this is an evolving story and things might change, but, if I owned the 2.0L engine, I'd be concerned about the longevity of the emissions components to say nothing for the fuel econ/performance hit that's coming.

I do believe that if you keep your car normally to ~100K miles, you've got nothing to worry about except a bit of inconvenience with the trips to the dealer you'll be making soon.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Resale value...
The VW scandal could cost you $5,000
http://fortune.com/2015/09/28/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-consumer-costs/

Quick Reply: Diesel Polution