Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Difference in LED DRL on new A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference in LED DRL on new A6

Has anyone discerned the difference between the led drl's on the premium and premium plus 2010 Audi A6 - and those used on every other model Audi? (Not certain about the configuration on the Presitge). Rather than being composed of several discrete led's (as on the A5, A4, A7, A8), it appears to be one continuous ribbon - almost alike a neon light. I'm not cray about this look - interested in comments!

Many thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoops! I meant 2012 a6!!

Originally Posted by LIY
Has anyone discerned the difference between the led drl's on the premium and premium plus 2010 Audi A6 - and those used on every other model Audi? (Not certain about the configuration on the Presitge). Rather than being composed of several discrete led's (as on the A5, A4, A7, A8), it appears to be one continuous ribbon - almost alike a neon light. I'm not cray about this look - interested in comments!

Many thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LIY

Many thanks!
I have a '12 A6 Prestige, with full LED's and it also has the "ribbon" lights that mentioned. The ribbon lights act as daytime running lights. I'm indifferent about them, and I'm not sure if they're daytime running lights on cars with the led option. They're different for sure lol.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I noticed the difference and I love the look of the LED DRL strip. The cool thing about it is that - unlike a flourescent tube - the LED strip is directional. The brightness is dazzling when you look at them head on, but more muted from other angles. This makes perfect sense for daytime running lights. Definitely unique!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I'm not mistaken they also serves as a multifunction light. One for the DRL, then it turns amber when you engage the turn signal. That way you don't have that unsightly look of having only one DRL on when your turn signal is on. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Blackz06
If I'm not mistaken they also serves as a multifunction light. One for the DRL, then it turns amber when you engage the turn signal. That way you don't have that unsightly look of having only one DRL on when your turn signal is on. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that.
Only for those that have the "Full LED" headlights. I have the regular prem-plus headlights with the LED DRL, but I have normal incandescent turn signals. The DRL turns off when I signal, and I hate that.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LIY

Many thanks!
It's still multiple LEDs but appears to be a continous ribbon. Just a different look. I like this look vs my previous 2010 s4 since every company out there now makes their cars with dot like led drls, so audi is distinguishing themselves a little with this new look.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BConly
Only for those that have the "Full LED" headlights. I have the regular prem-plus headlights with the LED DRL, but I have normal incandescent turn signals. The DRL turns off when I signal, and I hate that.
There's a VAGCOM code that will keep the car from "winking" when the turn signal being used.

**Hoping someone in the NoVA area is willing to share their VAGCOM...I'm willing to pay lol**
Old 09-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BConly
I also have the regular premium plus headlights, and was wondering if they come with integrated fog light and/or cornering light functions (like the full LED version does). I don't think they do, but want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something (e.g., is there a switch or something I need to press to activate them?)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The full LEDs don't have fog lights, there is an "all weather light" that sits in the middle of the light unit just below the DRL strip. That serves as the cornering light (automatic) depending on speed and is also switched to help in rain, fog, whatever according to the manual. I haven't had mine in any adverse weather yet so am curios what they will do in rain and fog. There is almost no frontal projection, these suckers appear to go straight out to the sides. Don't see how that will help in fog...

Quick Reply: Difference in LED DRL on new A6