Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Disable screen up/down motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable screen up/down motor

It would be very handy to be able to prevent the screen from going up and down all the time. When put away, it just pops right back up if you put it into reverse, adjust the seats, ...

Therefore I want to put a switch to disable the up/down motion of the motor. Basically I would just interrupt the circuit that feeds the motor power. That way if its up, it stays up. If its down. It stays down.

Does anyone have access to the schematics or wiring diagrams for the A6(C7)?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Or Alternatively:

Has anyone found a solution to (or is bothered by) the constant up/downs of the display screen?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

When I put my MMI screen down and out of sight using the button to the left of the air vents it stays down. I can go into reverse and it doesn't pop up to show the the image from the rear view camera. Likewise, I can adjust the seats and it stays hidden away. It has been like that since I picked the car up so I assumed that was a default setting. I really have no idea why you have the problem you decribe or what you can do about it. Sorry.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine also always pops up when I put it in reverse even after pressing the button but will slide down again once I switch to drive.

I thought this was default and can't be overridden even by using a VAG-COM?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zandym
Mine also always pops up when I put it in reverse even after pressing the button but will slide down again once I switch to drive.

I thought this was default and can't be overridden even by using a VAG-COM?
My plan is to put a physical switch on the motor's power line (there is no way the motor can operate if it doesn't get power). That way I can choose to leave it up, or leave it down, or let it operate normally.

Before ripping open the dash on my brand new A6 however, I had hoped to either get a hold of a schematic, or wiring diagram (or known alternative solution).
Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscar2
Before ripping open the dash on my brand new A6 however, I had hoped to either get a hold of a schematic, or wiring diagram (or known alternative solution).
I haven't seen any schematics posted about any of the C7 electrical systems. There are some A8 posts about replacing the nav screen gears. You might get some guidance about getting to and working with the screen from them.

It has to be a DC motor and Audi reverses the polarity of the two wires to facilitate the open and close functions. There should be a limit switch at both ends of travel to open the circuit unless it is timed or it measures the amperage load.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be very handy to be able to prevent the screen from going up and down all the time. When put away, it just pops right back up if you put it into reverse, adjust the seats, ...

Therefore I want to put a switch to disable the up/down motion of the motor. Basically I would just interrupt the circuit that feeds the motor power. That way if its up, it stays up. If its down. It stays down.

Does anyone have access to the schematics or wiring diagrams for the A6(C7)?
What bothers you about it? Especially with reverse its absolutely necessary
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
What bothers you about it? Especially with reverse its absolutely necessary
I don't like it moving up and down unnecessarily. I feel like it will wear out after a while. But even if it doesn't, it still would bother me just as if say the windows were going up and down unnecessarily (or the engine shut off and turned on all the time ).

With regards to "reverse being absolutely necessary". That's an example where I would rather have a say so in whether that makes it pop up. Also if I press a seat pre-set button, that makes the screen pop up to tell me all about what it is that button does.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't like it moving up and down unnecessarily. I feel like it will wear out after a while. But even if it doesn't, it still would bother me just as if say the windows were going up and down unnecessarily (or the engine shut off and turned on all the time ).

With regards to "reverse being absolutely necessary". That's an example where I would rather have a say so in whether that makes it pop up. Also if I press a seat pre-set button, that makes the screen pop up to tell me all about what it is that button does.
Certainly you have the right to be annoyed, but I could suggest a limited solution. Let the screen stay up and then it does not pop up and down when you touch seat pre-sets, put the car in reverse, etc. To be quite honest, I felt the same way initially but have learned to (forced myself to) live with it being up all the time. You need the MMI screen for Navigation, for the radio, for the phone, so why not leave it up all the time. I decided to think of it as a fixed, built-in screen that has the ability to be hidden once in a while. I am one of those “old school” guys who generally feel there is too much of the driving experience being taken over by the robots, so I do understand your concern. Give it a try: let it come up and stay up.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Certainly you have the right to be annoyed, but I could suggest a limited solution. Let the screen stay up and then it does not pop up and down when you touch seat pre-sets, put the car in reverse, etc. To be quite honest, I felt the same way initially but have learned to (forced myself to) live with it being up all the time. You need the MMI screen for Navigation, for the radio, for the phone, so why not leave it up all the time. I decided to think of it as a fixed, built-in screen that has the ability to be hidden once in a while. I am one of those “old school” guys who generally feel there is too much of the driving experience being taken over by the robots, so I do understand your concern. Give it a try: let it come up and stay up.
I agree. Upset over such a meaningless thing

Quick Reply: Disable screen up/down motor