Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Disable screen up/down motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by joseaudi
I agree. Upset over such a meaningless thing
Reminds me of my grandmother's sofa - she always had it covered in sticky, uncomfortable plastic so the cloth surface wouldn't wear out. I once told her she should have bought a wood bench. (She was not amused).

I would be willing to bet that there are thousands of parts in my A6 that move far more often than my MMI screen. For me, if I was worried that one of them will break at some point from recommended use, I would have bought a bicycle. (Or at least a car without a retractable screen).
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Certainly you have the right to be annoyed, but I could suggest a limited solution. Let the screen stay up and then it does not pop up and down when you touch seat pre-sets, put the car in reverse, etc. To be quite honest, I felt the same way initially but have learned to (forced myself to) live with it being up all the time.
Just curious - How do you force the screen to stay up all the time?

Last edited by Maverick61; 06-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
How do you force the screen to stay up all the time?
Mine comes up automatically every time I start the engine, so I thought everyone's did. It only goes down if I hit the screen up/down button or when the engine is turned off and the doors opened and then closed like when I am leaving the car.
I do know that if the screen is still showing the rear view (like if I back up then stop and sit for a while) I can override by touching whatever function I want (radio, NAV, etc.) on the MMI controls.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine comes up automatically every time I start the engine, so I thought everyone's did. It only goes down if I hit the screen up/down button or when the engine is turned off and the doors opened and then closed like when I am leaving the car.
Ahhh, I thought based on what you wrote you were somehow stopping the screen from going down when you exit the car.

I don't mind it going up and down, but it would be nice on occasion to have the option to leave it up when you exit the car for a quick stop
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Reminds me of my grandmother's sofa - she always had it covered in sticky, uncomfortable plastic so the cloth surface wouldn't wear out. I once told her she should have bought a wood bench. (She was not amused).
My mother also had the plastic covers for the fancy fringed lamp shades. All that crap only came off if relatives from her side of the family were visiting.
To be fair, though, those were the days when you bought a living room set and it lasted for 30 years, so maybe it was worth protecting. Today things are different: some people replace sofas and club chairs every time they paint - not me, just say'in.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Ahhh, I thought based on what you wrote you were somehow stopping the screen from going down when you exit the car.

I don't mind it going up and down, but it would be nice on occasion to have the option to leave it up when you exit the car for a quick stop
Off topic: don't you agree the black headliner is amazing? The light "puke" grey Auid has as its default headliner color is such a turn-off. The fact that the pillars get the black really transforms the interior feel - and it is free!
Love the Garnet Red!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Off topic: don't you agree the black headliner is amazing? The light "puke" grey Auid has as its default headliner color is such a turn-off. The fact that the pillars get the black really transforms the interior feel - and it is free!
Love the Garnet Red!
Indeed !!! The black headliner is great! For me, with the black interior it just pulls everything together and goes great with the Garnet Red
Old 06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

This may not be feasible, but if the issue is the whine, then the pop-up screen in the A8 is soundless (eerily so). Perhaps the soundless A8 screen motor can be used on an A6?

HBH
Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
I agree. Upset over such a meaningless thing
If you think that I am upset over the screen going up and down, then I must have done a very poor job of expressing myself (or possibly that you did a poor job of reading what I wrote).

Now, for the record, Normally I do leave it up. However I do often find that when I have company, I like to put it down (It's nice to not have to have a large prominent screen showing a giant map all the time). Instead the understated elegance of the Audi dash can become prominent.

But unfortunately, that is not possible as the screen will choose to pop up from time to time.

So there you have it. Not upset, just that never ending male desire to control ones environment.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Oscar2
However I do often find that when I have company, I like to put it down (It's nice to not have to have a large prominent screen showing a giant map all the time). Instead the understated elegance of the Audi dash can become prominent.
But unfortunately, that is not possible as the screen will choose to pop up from time to time.
Good point about "company" in the car. Kinda like visiting people who never turn off their giant TV even during a meal - gotta leave, sorry!
I am a single hermit; I rarely have passengers (twice a year?) so I did not think of that.

Quick Reply: Disable screen up/down motor