Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Do i need firmware update ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I would call AOA and have them call a dealer. This would especially help before ur appt with a service manager.
Just called AOA, they took all of my information ( VIN and S/W version ) , after an hour i got a call back, and i am surprised what AOA said..

According to their Advisor, not all 2012 A6 prestig ( Or any A6 model) will have same software. They said , S/w version is diffrent for each A6 ( even same year/model )...

Does it make sense ?? But she said, if you notice any problem with your MMI , we can always put new version...

So, i did bit argue, that it doesnt make sense that even its the same hardware / same technology..and why would you put diff. s/w on that ( Like 2 similier computer with same hardware will have same s/w and drivers )
But She said, its Audi, we dont put same software...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by jigsb007
Thank you all for your suggestation...
I stopped by Audi dealer, but according to him there is no UPDATE !!
Find a FM radio station that also transmits in HD, store both in the presets and compare the audio quality. With your software HD should sound like mono and no bass. You should also mention that the MMI freezes frequently and the only way out was a reset (check the manual so that you know how to reset the MMI in case they ask). Both were reason enough for my dealer to install 0566.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Find a FM radio station that also transmits in HD, store both in the presets and compare the audio quality. With your software HD should sound like mono and no bass. You should also mention that the MMI freezes frequently and the only way out was a reset (check the manual so that you know how to reset the MMI in case they ask). Both were reason enough for my dealer to install 0566.
I'm taking my 2012 in to get looked at on Friday. My HD radio is terrible, I have resorted to the original FM stations. Just to recap, if I wanted to get the new firmware bring up these issues:

1) HD radio quality is bad
2) MMI freezing

Just want to increase my chances of actually getting the newer firmware when I bring it in. Also, the OP said they are charging him a $134 diagnostic fee, is that normal?!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Some dealers are just loathe to update software unless there's no other option to correct an issue. Apparently, they don't always get reimbursed for the labor by AOA under warranty repairs if they can't prove there was a problem requiring it. Not very customer service oriented in any case.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jigsb007
that it doesnt make sense that even its the same hardware / same technology..and why would you put diff. s/w on that ( Like 2 similier computer with same hardware will have same s/w and drivers )
Its makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. The fact that we, as owners, don't like it is irrelevant.
And the same is true of computers, you buy a computer from Dell one day and I buy one the next. In the mean time the video card vendor has upgraded the drivers, I get the new ones, you don't. Thats the way it works and the same is true of cars, when firmware is updated and hits the assembly line the next car in line gets the newer one.

Last edited by PJRed2008; 03-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Its makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. The fact that we, as owners, don't like it is irrelevant.
And the same is true of computers, you buy a computer from Dell one day and I buy one the next. In the mean time the video card vendor has upgraded the drivers, I get the new ones, you don't. Thats the way it works and the same is true of cars, when firmware is updated and hits the assembly line the next car in line gets the newer one.
The difference being that for any Dell I can download the new driver and upgrade my computer if I care but with my Audi I can't do that. Same for bugs, if I open a case with Microsoft I will get a case number and bugfix eventually. For my Audi I can beg the dealer and complaint to AoA as much as I want, they don't have any support/update mechanism in place unless and I won;t get the update unless I find a reason to force them.

Since 2010 I;'m reporting an issue with the MMI navigation where I'm unable to enter certain house numbers. It's a bug that they (Audi) fixed on the RNS-E in 2008 but for the MMI (any MMI) they don't care.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The computer analogy is valid when referencing hardware - it keeps evolving after you buy it and no one should expect a vendor to provide free upgrades. Software, however, is a different kettle of fish; virtually any computer or software vendor provides update support so long as the original hardware supports it.

Since the C7 system updates appear to be improvements or bug fixes, Audi should automatically provide the updates without a fuss when requested. The only exception would be if the MMI hardware version doesn't support the software. Since others with MY2012 C7s have had no issues with updating from earlier versions to, at the least, 0566, it would seem that the hardware supports it. At some point, later versions may not as C7 hardware features are added or changed.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Silver42
Guys.

My screen did the same thing - I did not know that there IS an issue - my service guy (who is the best ever..) noticed the screen and without me asking ordered a new screen mech / transport and put it in. the way it sounded there was an issue with it (old one...) and that a replacement fixed it. Ever since it moves like butter.

Scott
The screen and control unit are being replaced by my dealer so hopefully that will cure the rough close and get the latest MMI update in one shot. No fuss no muss with this exchange.

I have to wait till Monday though cause the part has to be shipped from NJ.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adhesiv
I have the same issue in my 2012, the screen vibrates rather violently shut. I have an appt on Wednesday at the dealer and will let you know what they say.
Originally Posted by Silver42
Guys.

My screen did the same thing - I did not know that there IS an issue - my service guy (who is the best ever..) noticed the screen and without me asking ordered a new screen mech / transport and put it in. the way it sounded there was an issue with it (old one...) and that a replacement fixed it. Ever since it moves like butter.

Scott
Originally Posted by adhesiv
The screen and control unit are being replaced by my dealer so hopefully that will cure the rough close and get the latest MMI update in one shot. No fuss no muss with this exchange.

I have to wait till Monday though cause the part has to be shipped from NJ.
I have had my screen bracket replaced already for the same issue. It was the gears responsible for pulling it in and out. This was last October/November...but it has started being jerky on the open/close again occasionally
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Software, however, is a different kettle of fish; virtually any computer or software vendor provides update support so long as the original hardware supports it.
Yes, with the full expectation that the computer owner will do the updating. If you took the same computer to a service center do you think they'd install the new software for free? They're in business to make money, just like a car dealer's service department.

Also, if you install new software on your computer, you do so at your own risk; I've seen many PC's reformatted due to owner error.

Quick Reply: Do i need firmware update ?