Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Does your A6 come with 12V socket covers in back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does your A6 come with 12V socket covers in back seat?

Very unsophisticated to have 2 holes in the compartment.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by qqq1970
When not being used in my '13 Prestige, the back seat 12v sockets are hidden away behind a drop down compartment in the rear console.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same here but it is unsatisfying to see two holes when you open the console. S8 has the plugs. When prompted dealer response was why bother when it is hidden from sight when not in use.

I guess cost cutting has come down to nickels and dimes.

It doesn't speak well to luxury brand like Audi. Oh well, I should have realized Mercedes, BMW and Audi have become what I'd call "affordable luxury" brands as opposed to "luxury" brands. They figure the four ring icon is probably worth ten grands and so they can skimp elsewhere and you will put up with it.

So how much is the plug? $10. Alright I'll get two.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't come with lighter elements. When I questioned the dealer they stated that these were for 12v charging devices hence why no elements ! Eventually they sent the A8 dummy plugs which fit but the door won't close with them in it !!! Go figure. They actually refer to them as 12v power outlets in the brochures, hence why no lighters (then why the ashtrays)

This is my first Audi and I have seen much cost cutting in the brand compared to my other vehicles but you are right...this is ridiculous

PS....the dealer wants $24 each for the cigarette lighter elements

Last edited by Slant83; 06-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Same here but it is unsatisfying to see two holes when you open the console. S8 has the plugs. When prompted dealer response was why bother when it is hidden from sight when not in use.

I guess cost cutting has come down to nickels and dimes.

It doesn't speak well to luxury brand like Audi. Oh well, I should have realized Mercedes, BMW and Audi have become what I'd call "affordable luxury" brands as opposed to "luxury" brands. They figure the four ring icon is probably worth ten grands and so they can skimp elsewhere and you will put up with it.

So how much is the plug? $10. Alright I'll get two.
No offense but I'm confused. So if it can't be seen when not in use, and if it's open and in use anyway, why the need to cover the ports?

It all adds up. Costs go up for almost everything else and usually quite a bit more than the 1% or so than Audi and others of their ilk raise the prices each year. Something has to give or they have to charge more and we all know what happens if prices go up too far; sales drop and eventually, maybe out of business.

To each his own, I guess. On my grumble list of missing features, this one doesn't even make my rolodex. Now if we want to talk cupholders.....uh, wait, never mind. That horse has been beaten to death already.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No offense but I'm confused. So if it can't be seen when not in use, and if it's open and in use anyway, why the need to cover the ports?

It all adds up. Costs go up for almost everything else and usually quite a bit more than the 1% or so than Audi and others of their ilk raise the prices each year. Something has to give or they have to charge more and we all know what happens if prices go up too far; sales drop and eventually, maybe out of business.

To each his own, I guess. On my grumble list of missing features, this one doesn't even make my rolodex. Now if we want to talk cupholders.....uh, wait, never mind. That horse has been beaten to death already.

I am with you on this. It is covered when not in use.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi Korea provides the covers and lighters. I would have assumed they all came with covers and lighters. I was also delighted to find the 12V power outlet in the trunk. Means I don't have to fold the rear seats to vacuum the trunk.

Maybe the lower cost for Cars in general in the US forces manufactures to remove/delete some unnecessary parts?

Last edited by Inyoury; 06-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You are right and that's dealer's response, but then Audi includes the covers for S8...

When I saw the holes, I thought I was buying a Ford...
Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You are right and that's dealer's response, but then Audi includes the covers for S8...

When I saw the holes, I thought I was buying a Ford...
eBay Motors has many power outlet choices. Sort by "Price + Shipping: lowest" and go shopping. There is a nice Land Rover cap for $12.95.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-...+outlet+covers
Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Be careful on random plug purchases. My Audi dealer sent me the Audi branded plugs from the parts counter for free with the knurled dial sides and although it fit in the outlet holes, I wasn't able to close the outlet door with them in it. Useless. They advised me to purchase the lighter elements at $24.00 each. AS IF......

I'll live with the Ford style empty outlets

Quick Reply: Does your A6 come with 12V socket covers in back seat?