Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Driver side buzzing/rattling

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side buzzing/rattling

Anyone else notice any buzzing/rattles coming from the driver side door? It only seems to present itself on less than ideal highways, but it sounds like a bumblebee is living inside my door panel. If any of you have heard it, were you able to get rid of it?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angrypenguin
Anyone else notice any buzzing/rattles coming from the driver side door? It only seems to present itself on less than ideal highways, but it sounds like a bumblebee is living inside my door panel. If any of you have heard it, were you able to get rid of it?
I have it too. I've tried pressing on the door panel and the seatbelt height adjuster. Like so many of these kinds of issues, it is VERY hard to locate exactly where the noise is coming from. I only have 450 miles on my car, so I am not too happy about this.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Every car I've owned had a noise here or there that I noticed. Everyone I told could not hear it or barely noticed the noise. Maybe it's just me, picky picky. Some were annoying and some you learn to live with. One especially annoying to me was under the dash of my TT. The dealer said he would chase the noise but would have to remove the whole dash which might actually cause more noise if disturbed. I was worried that when I went to sell it a prospective buyer might hear it and be turned off. I weight the pro's and con's and decided removing the dash was to drastic. Long story short, when I sold the car nobody heard or mentioned it and I got top dollar. Good luck and hopefully it a quick fix!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a horrible rattle under my dash. Turns out I had a screw/bolt that was crossthreaded under my dash. It was an easy fix, dealership took care of it quickly once I located it. However, when I first took it in, they were unable to locate it. It took me driving down the highway, and putting pressure on different areas of the driver side dash area, until I finally put my hand down and under the cover below the steering wheel and found the loose screw. Could not back it out or tighten it on my own with the tools I had, but the dealer was able to (recessed and difficult to access).
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I may have your answer...

I picked up my 2012 A6 Prestige just a little over a week ago and noticed the same "rattle". I can best describe it as an occasional "tick" sound, usually heard on lesser roads and when driving over reflectors, etc. in the road surface.

I found that if I took my left elbow and pressed (very lightly) against the door panel, right below the LED light strip in the door panel, the sound completely disappeared.

Soon after I noticed the same noise coming from the passenger door, although much less often.

I also found that you could "move" the LED light strip slightly by pressing on it, which made almost the same rattle noise.

I showed my dealer's service manager and he was able to reproduce the same noise on the LED light strip, even with the car stationary.

I did leave the car with them since I was short on time that day, but once I do, I'll let you know what they plan to do to fix it.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrypenguin
I have a very similar squeaking sound coming from the drivers door. If I put any pressure on the arm rest with my arm or leg leaning against it, the noise stops. I have had the dealer work on it two times now, and it is no better, maybe worse. I dont think they have ever even tried to hear the noise, rather one time they put insulation in the door, the second time they just took off the panel and reinstalled. It is definitely noticeable and is like nails on a chalkboard....need to figure out what is causing it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue. I gave it to the dealer to fix it. I will update this thread if they are able to find a root cause and if possible a solution.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JML - TX
I have a very similar squeaking sound coming from the drivers door. If I put any pressure on the arm rest with my arm or leg leaning against it, the noise stops. I have had the dealer work on it two times now, and it is no better, maybe worse. I dont think they have ever even tried to hear the noise, rather one time they put insulation in the door, the second time they just took off the panel and reinstalled. It is definitely noticeable and is like nails on a chalkboard....need to figure out what is causing it.
I tried pushing in on the arm rest, and that seems to stop the rattle. I too can move the LED lights. My '05 A6 with 90,000 miles has ZERO rattles, so this is most annoying. I will have dealer look at it soon.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

You guys were right, it was the LED strip under the door handle. The past couple times I've heard the buzzing, a gentle push up on the lights se to put it back into place and the buzzing stops. I'll have the dealer take a look next time I'm in, thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone get this fixed yet at their dealer? Mine seems to be getting worse.

Quick Reply: Driver side buzzing/rattling