Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electrics, brakes and steering died travelling at 70mph now waiting for replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unfortunately experienced something similar with my previous C6. I had only owned it a couple of weeks when it went haywire on me. Like you described, every imaginable warning light and fault came up and the car would shut down. Fortunately, the first time it happened in a parking garage. The next time I was traveling on the freeway went it happened and scared the you now what out of me. My dealer said they had never seen anything like it and over 40 fault codes came up, but each time they could not find the culprit. Even had a master tech from Audi corporate fly out with no luck. I finally submitted a lemon law claim and got Audi involved, and now I drive a brand new C7.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
chaff: was you car that failed a C7 model?
Yep my car was a C7. 4 months old and 5k on the clock
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tucker74
I unfortunately experienced something similar with my previous C6. I had only owned it a couple of weeks when it went haywire on me. Like you described, every imaginable warning light and fault came up and the car would shut down. Fortunately, the first time it happened in a parking garage. The next time I was traveling on the freeway went it happened and scared the you now what out of me. My dealer said they had never seen anything like it and over 40 fault codes came up, but each time they could not find the culprit. Even had a master tech from Audi corporate fly out with no luck. I finally submitted a lemon law claim and got Audi involved, and now I drive a brand new C7.
Well that pretty much sums out what I went through. I guess when you put mostly electronics and programming into the fold things can go wrong. I'm an aeronautical engineer and I know how easy it is for systems to confuse each other just because of a few lines of misplaced code.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW now this is disturbing!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
Sure is.

A friend of mine in Germany owned a 5-series year ago, and it turn itself off at a certain location on his way home, happened several times.

We were working for an engineering company at the time and took some equipment out to measure for any sort of EMC (Electromagnetic compatibility) issues at the location, but weren't able to find anything. Since the car was pre-owned (1 year old), the dealer refused to do much work without him paying for service (no 4 year warranty in Germany for most cars). He ended up replacing most of the wiring and an ECU or two in the car ...

My current VW Passat has a curve where the ESP kicks in every time, even though there is no slippage - it's reproducible at the same location over and over again ... not a big deal, it just brakes the passer side rear wheel for 1-2 seconds, but the first time it happened I got a little jumpy ...

Scary stuff ...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
Sure is.

My current VW Passat has a curve where the ESP kicks in every time, even though there is no slippage - it's reproducible at the same location over and over again ... not a big deal, it just brakes the passer side rear wheel for 1-2 seconds, but the first time it happened I got a little jumpy ...

Scary stuff ...
I have the same thing happening right now on my A-6. At the exact same spot going down this hill with a slight curve in it, the ESP light comes on and I feel the rear right brake grab for a second. The road is dry and smooth. Happens everyday same spot.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
Agreed. Glad no one was injured and that a new car is on the way.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaff
Yep my car was a C7. 4 months old and 5k on the clock
That's very scary...I literally just passed 5K. I'll have to pay some extra attention to its operation.

Glad you and your passengers are all ok.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others said, Glad you are safe... thats a seriously dangerous situation

Unfortunately, THIS is why I was hesitant to order my C7... I've had 6 Acura's, and NOTHING went wrong with any of them! I rely very heavily on my cars

Its not the a factor of the build, its the quality control with German Cars... Japanese cars go under such strict QC processes... and they test the hell out of everything, before they release it

All the "electronics" in the C7 scare me.... i just feel like any car with that much technology, is bound to have failures.

At least they bought it back from you...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this one.

The "electric" in the steering is assist only. It's not going lock it up, you'll just lose the assist. I had a Q7 TDi that I lost my power steering on and I was able to drive 30 miles to the service center with absolutely no assist at all. The Q7 weights about 1500 pounds more and I'm sure is harder to drive with out power steering assist than an A6. The Q7 had a hydraulic line damaged by road debris and all the fluid drained almost immediately.

I just went out in my garage and sat in my A6 and the brake pedal moved fairly easily with the engine completely off. By the way the brakes are vacuum assisted not electric. When the vacuum reservoir loses vacuum you lose assit. Even with no vacuum the brake pedal still moves you just have to push it harder.

Maybe the OP is just extremely weak?

Quick Reply: Electrics, brakes and steering died travelling at 70mph now waiting for replacement.