Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

engine difference between S6, S8, and Bentley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine difference between S6, S8, and Bentley?

They are all 4-liter V-8 twin-turbocharger engines, but with quite different horsepower ratings.

Are they mechanically different, or has the S6 engine been de-tuned at the computer?

If the latter, does that imply that tuners like Stasis will be able to eliminate the de-tuning and get the same output the S8 and Bentley have?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What may stop me from getting an s6 is that there are major concerns the dsg in the s6 can handle any additional power. Chipping it may not be possible. I believe that is why the s8 has an 8 speed non-dsg tranny... Due to the additional power.
If that's the case, a chipped 3.0t can come close to hanging with the s6 which may not be chippable. assuming the tuners ever figure out how to chip a 2012+ car.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
What may stop me from getting an s6 is that there are major concerns the dsg in the s6 can handle any additional power. Chipping it may not be possible. I believe that is why the s8 has an 8 speed non-dsg tranny... Due to the additional power.
That is complete speculation, albeit by enthusiasts. As far as I can tell, no one has the specs on the specific DSG in the S6, so no one should really be able to make such an assertion.

I would be amazed if any car manufacturer, let alone Audi, would install a major drivetrain component with no performance margin.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

If that's the case, a chipped 3.0t can come close to hanging with the s6 which may not be chippable. assuming the tuners ever figure out how to chip a 2012+ car.
Is that really true?!

Would my 3.0 ever come close to 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by cagambler
They are all 4-liter V-8 twin-turbocharger engines, but with quite different horsepower ratings.

Are they mechanically different, or has the S6 engine been de-tuned at the computer?

If the latter, does that imply that tuners like Stasis will be able to eliminate the de-tuning and get the same output the S8 and Bentley have?
I believe they share a common block and ancillaries (not sure of the heads are the same) but are tuned to deliver quite different characteristics to reflect their target customers. Also remember that before too long there will be an RS6 coming (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sc...utpunch-bmw-m5) which will have an engine with a much higher power output, even higher than the 520bhp seen in the S8, so Audi has had to spec the S6 accordingly. As others have suggested the spec of the gearbox in the S6 may be the limiting factor in tuning it significantly. It may also need additional cooling

Last edited by John Simcox; 09-17-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't realise it wasn't the standard 8 speed auto transmission.

I'd imagine key areas are upgraded for the higher spec models, bearings, gearbox, cooling etc etc.

The S6 has already been remapped here in europe to ~510PS/540 (B&B/Abt). I'm sure MTM will do something similar, but these guys will always cost a bit more because they are the trailblazers.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jetinder

The S6 has already been remapped here in europe to ~510PS/540 (B&B/Abt). I'm sure MTM will do something similar, but these guys will always cost a bit more because they are the trailblazers.
I never believe in ABT claims, and this is from my experience. Heck, the stock S7 power curve shown in their website is not even correct.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantEli
That is complete speculation, albeit by enthusiasts. As far as I can tell, no one has the specs on the specific DSG in the S6, so no one should really be able to make such an assertion.

I would be amazed if any car manufacturer, let alone Audi, would install a major drivetrain component with no performance margin.
First of all, speculating is fun :-). But in all seriousness, why would Audi put the 8-speed in the s8 if the dsg could handle the power... I don't have any data to back it up, and I think it's clear we are speculating at this point. We won't know for several months.

I believe a chipped 3.0t will do 0-60 in 4.3-4.5. Thats close enough to the stock s6 that if it never becomes possible to chip the s6, there is not enough difference for me to make the leap.... That's from a purely performance angle. The dsg is a very cool tranny and there are some other really nice features to consider.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In a mass production environment products must be designed with margin to minimize failures. Audi often seems to be extra conservative when it comes to turbos, transmissions, and engine blocks. If you push the design beyond what Audi has specified, you will likely shorten the life of the product/component, but I'd argue that Audi expects their products to last a long time.

The adage "You gotta pay to play" certainly applies. If you want to make more power, do expect to have to replace/maintain certain things more often .
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

First of all, speculating is fun :-). But in all seriousness, why would Audi put the 8-speed in the s8 if the dsg could handle the power... I don't have any data to back it up, and I think it's clear we are speculating at this point. We won't know for several months.

I believe a chipped 3.0t will do 0-60 in 4.3-4.5. Thats close enough to the stock s6 that if it never becomes possible to chip the s6, there is not enough difference for me to make the leap.... That's from a purely performance angle. The dsg is a very cool tranny and there are some other really nice features to consider.
Is there a specific chip we're talking about for the C7?

Quick Reply: engine difference between S6, S8, and Bentley?