Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!

Hey Guys, I purchased a used 2012 A6 Prestige, I received it today and everything seemed fine for a few hours until my car started sputtering and the EPC light came on. Luckily I was passing by the Audi dealership, I gave them a call, while the service center was closed, they still took me in and took a quick look. Seems to be a misfire with one of the cylinders so the car shut it down, could be the coils or something.
My car is still there, they drove me back home and I'll be talking to them tomorrow. I'm a little embarrassed to admit to my friends and family that I have a problem with the car, because I literally just received it.

Anyone else experience this? I'm a afraid I bought a lemon!

Last edited by Metallic-Force; 02-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Hey Guys, I purchased a used 2012 A6 Prestige, I received it today and everything seemed fine for a few hours until my car started sputtering and the EPC light came on. Luckily I was passing by the Audi dealership, I gave them a call, while the service center was closed, they still took me in and took a quick look. Seems to be a misfire with one of the cylinders so the car shut it down, could be the coils or something.
My car is still there, they drove me back home and I'll be talking to them tomorrow. I'm a little embarrassed to admit to my friends and family that I have a problem with the car, because I literally just received it.

Anyone else experience this? I'm a afraid I bought a lemon!
How many miles does it have on it? If it's less than 5000$ (if Audicare was not purchased) then everything should be covered, at least. Did you check the Carfax on it? Why would somebody be selling a 2012 car that just came out. That usually happens rarely from what I would think... A. somebody hit the lottery. B. Somebody got in an accident... But I'm sure you got a good deal, so that's all that matters. Just let Audi handle it, I'm sure they will have it back to new in no time...
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by organizedchaos
How many miles does it have on it? If it's less than 5000$ (if Audicare was not purchased) then everything should be covered, at least. Did you check the Carfax on it? Why would somebody be selling a 2012 car that just came out. That usually happens rarely from what I would think... A. somebody hit the lottery. B. Somebody got in an accident... But I'm sure you got a good deal, so that's all that matters. Just let Audi handle it, I'm sure they will have it back to new in no time...
Audicare has nothing whatsoever to do with the warranty
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by organizedchaos
Why would somebody be selling a 2012 car that just came out.
They could have lost their job.

There was a black 2012 A6 for sale in Rochester NY a few weeks back.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you have a coil problem or oil is getting into the combustion chamber, in your case, I would hope for the bad coil. Keep us posted please.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

The car was traded in for two cars, it's a family that felt they'd rather have to chevys rather than one Audi.

The car is in pristine condition, no accidents, had it checked by my friend.

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sounds like you have a coil problem or oil is getting into the combustion chamber, in your case, I would hope for the bad coil. Keep us posted please.
They said that it might be a coil problem. I didn't understand it. I'll keep you guys posted. They said they'll give me a call in the afternoon and so far there are no loaners available.

Last edited by Metallic-Force; 02-25-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by no cell
Audicare has nothing whatsoever to do with the warranty
Yes, thank you. I stand corrected. Sorry, I'm still new to Audi. I know I signed up for Audicare, though! The warranty should cover it... And that's included for the first 4 years...
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If it's any comfort, I bought a lighlty used (7,000 miles) C6 last fall thay had troubles from day one. Long story short, I'm now driving a new C7 thankd to Audi. They stepped up in mu case and if yours is found to have some catastrophic fault, will hopefully for you.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about A6 problem, I know how it feels, I'm sure they will figure it out and while it sucks better to clear up any issue now than later. I'm new to Audi too & pls let us know what they find. I know there is normally a check at 8K kms (in Canada) to replace oil at least in your case oil change + other check should have been done, anyway pls share the dealer findings.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Metallic-Force, does your state have a used car lemon law?

Quick Reply: EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!