Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Metallic-Force, does your state have a used car lemon law?
Texas has a lemon law but I don't think I need it.

Fricken morons from the Chevy dealership filled the car with unleaded gas, made the car go haywire... I tried to get rid of it as much as possible and I filled it with premium. This is all NO thanks to Cavender Audi who kept my car all day and didn't touch it and didn't give me a loaner, they didn't even bother to call me, I had to go there and take my car.

Low oil warning popped up, it's telling me to fill it with a quart and take it to a dealership. Since they are closed on Sunday, anyone recommend a car shop? i'm in San Antonio. Oh and I love this car.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Regular unleaded would not have caused this problem. The Audi's engine management system will compensate for lower octane gas. While generally not recommended for long term use, regular gas would not hurt the engine.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Texas has a lemon law but I don't think I need it.

Fricken morons from the Chevy dealership filled the car with unleaded gas, made the car go haywire... I tried to get rid of it as much as possible and I filled it with premium. This is all NO thanks to Cavender Audi who kept my car all day and didn't touch it and didn't give me a loaner, they didn't even bother to call me, I had to go there and take my car.

Low oil warning popped up, it's telling me to fill it with a quart and take it to a dealership. Since they are closed on Sunday, anyone recommend a car shop? i'm in San Antonio. Oh and I love this car.
I hate to say it, low oil warning, CEL and EPC warning is a sign of oil getting into the combusion chamber, I sure hope I am wrong. Check your exhaust, is it white or does it have a darker color to it. If I were you, I would start looking into the Texas used car lemon law.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-26-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hate to say it, low oil warning, CEL and EPC warning is a sign of oil getting into the combusion chamber, I sure hope I am wrong. Check your exhaust, is it white or does it have a darker color to it. If I were you, I would start looking into the Texas used car lemon law.
I appreciate everyone's help here, thank you.

Oh you're kidding me, but that makes perfect sense, I thought I saw the oil level at max just in the morning, but then I thought the system didn't get a read out until later or something. The EPC is gone but the engine light is on, the car seems to be driving fine.
I'll check the exhausts later today. but I go to school and I let go of my older car, I still need transportation, how dangerous is it to be driving this car at highway speeds for a few days until the dealership gives me a real appointment and a loaner?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Unfortunately, I am not kidding, I have experience with this first hand. The car would sputter intermittently and the EPC and CEL would go on. I am not saying this is the case with your car, but it’s a possibility. I would keep an eye on your oil level as well as the exhaust. The proper way to check the oil is, while the engine is warm, park on level ground. Shut off the engine for 5 minute and turn on the accessory mode, then check the oil level.
It is not dangerous to drive the car if you are burning oil, but keep in mind that the sputter may return and leave you stranded.
Have to check the maintenance record for your car yet. Did the prior owner have any record of low oil, CEL, EPC or sputtering?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately, I am not kidding, I have experience with this first hand. The car would sputter intermittently and the EPC and CEL would go on. I am not saying this is the case with your car, but it’s a possibility. I would keep an eye on your oil level as well as the exhaust. The proper way to check the oil is, while the engine is warm, park on level ground. Shut off the engine for 5 minute and turn on the accessory mode, then check the oil level.
It is not dangerous to drive the car if you are burning oil, but keep in mind that the sputter may return and leave you stranded.
Have to check the maintenance record for your car yet. Did the prior owner have any record of low oil, CEL, EPC or sputtering?
The car already gave me a low oil warning, I had to top it of with a quart. You seem to be spot on with this problem. I smell the burnt oil, it's quite noticeable. The car maintenance records only had the first oil change which was after 5k miles and nothing else. Which is making me think that the dealership didn't know about this when I bought it, because it's so obvious, but the owners did. Funny thing is, the first owners left all their information here, I feel like calling them and asking them what's up lol.

Thanks for your help, is this problem difficult to fix? I know I'm covered, but I just don't want the hassle of buyinganother car. I've been looking for a new car for six months.

A quarter of they oil is already downed from the new quart.
I'm heading tomorrow morning to the dealership to try my luck with someone I know.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would suggust looking into the specifics of the Texas used car lemon law and file a complaint with Audi USA. Usually, the 1st thing they will try is the cylinder head, if that doesnt work, they need to change the block. After that, I would think you will not want the car anymore Both of these parts will come from Germany and will have long wait. This problem will usually just keep getting worst, you might as well deal with it now. Try to find a dealer that will give you a loaner car while yours is in the shop.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would suggust looking into the specifics of the Texas used car lemon law and file a complaint with Audi USA. Usually, the 1st thing they will try is the cylinder head, if that doesnt work, they need to change the block. After that, I would think you will not want the car anymore Both of these parts will come from Germany and will have long wait. This problem will usually just keep getting worst, you might as well deal with it now. Try to find a dealer that will give you a loaner car while yours is in the shop.
WELL this is ridiculous, I showed up at the Audi dealership and now the A6 is telling me to reduce the oil and the engine light shut off. I dropped it off anyway and they gave me a 2011 A4 P+, I dealt with someone else this time and they were fantastic.

I don't know what to hope for, but I know Texas Law states the car has to be brand new, but my friend was able to get his used (2nd owner) 335 bought back by BMW and got an M3.However, this took him quite a long time and alot of headaches. So I'm hoping for the best here. I already miss it
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hopefully, your oil level sensor is broken and your A6 is not burning oil, but that doesnt expalin the sputtering and the dark exhaust gas. You should buy a dipstick, it will save you a lot of headaches. Its a shame that Texas doesnt have a used car lemon law. I would call the general manager of Audi dealer when you bought the car from and ask for a refund or another car.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully, your oil level sensor is broken and your A6 is not burning oil, but that doesnt expalin the sputtering and the dark exhaust gas. You should buy a dipstick, it will save you a lot of headaches. Its a shame that Texas doesnt have a used car lemon law. I would call the general manager of Audi dealer when you bought the car from and ask for a refund or another car.
Well I got it back today (Same day, 5 hours later) and they said it's a software glitch with the sensor. They upgraded the software, removed the oil. Checked all the codes, they were all gone. The smell was caused by me because I added a quart of oil. The EPC and sputtering is caused by the low gas quality the other dealership put in. Car is running fantastic! Yay!

Also to note, I didn't pay anything.

I'll finally post pictures the car on a clear day.

Quick Reply: EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!