Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it all worked out! Post pics when you can
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Fricken morons from the Chevy dealership filled the car with unleaded gas, made the car go haywire... I tried to get rid of it as much as possible and I filled it with premium."

At sea level or as close as we are here in Houston or San Antonio, premium "should" not be necessary and like others in the post said, the ecu should compensate for it......However, my 530 once I put regular in it the CEL came on after a few miles. I drove it like that for a few days and then added premium and octane booster and the light went away! So in theory, yes the engine should compensate but sometimes it may be just too much differece between stated RON on the fuel and real RON.

Hope problems go away.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javicadena
"Fricken morons from the Chevy dealership filled the car with unleaded gas, made the car go haywire... I tried to get rid of it as much as possible and I filled it with premium."

At sea level or as close as we are here in Houston or San Antonio, premium "should" not be necessary and like others in the post said, the ecu should compensate for it......However, my 530 once I put regular in it the CEL came on after a few miles. I drove it like that for a few days and then added premium and octane booster and the light went away! So in theory, yes the engine should compensate but sometimes it may be just too much differece between stated RON on the fuel and real RON.

Hope problems go away.
I honestly just don't want to risk it, because the whole stuttering problem left right after I filled it up with premium, it's not something I wana test either.

I actually shot a couple of videos showing the Night vision, HUD, Side assist, but they're not as great as I hoped. But it got me thinking if I should start a video thread rather than just a picture thread? We are living in 2012...
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by javicadena

Hope problems go away.
Low octane may cause knocking or maybe even a CEL, but sputter? I dont think so, unless the gas is contaminated with water maybe.
This is classic Audi text book troubleshooting, try the easiest fix first. Drain the gas tank and refill it, its a long shoot, but its the cheapest.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to see it worked out well in the end...and hopefully it remains all well from here.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Glad to see it worked out well in the end...and hopefully it remains all well from here.
Thanks, i'm afraid that it might not be the end, I smelled gas earlier today when I floored it, my sunroof was open, I thought it was the area, but I feel it's coming from my car. I'm gana try to recreate the problem before I head out to Audi tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Thanks, i'm afraid that it might not be the end, I smelled gas earlier today when I floored it, my sunroof was open, I thought it was the area, but I feel it's coming from my car. I'm gana try to recreate the problem before I head out to Audi tomorrow.
Shoot. Could it be that you spilled some oil while pouring it and that's what causing this smell? Is there a way to wash that and see if that helps. Just thinking loud...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Shoot. Could it be that you spilled some oil while pouring it and that's what causing this smell? Is there a way to wash that and see if that helps. Just thinking loud...
Yeah, I'm thinking when last time I filled it up, a few drops hit the area around it and then went inside the gutter system they have for leaks.

I spoke with the technician that worked on my car the first time and he said if there was anything wrong with the car, you'd hear about it(engine light and codes) I might be also just smelling the terrible Texan highway congestion air.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Thanks, i'm afraid that it might not be the end, I smelled gas earlier today when I floored it...
The A6 has direct injection which means that it uses a higher fuel pressure (~85 PSI) than regular fuel injection (45 PSI).

There might be a small leak in the engine compartment and fumes are coming in the cowl. They usually leak out of the fuel pressure regulators or where the steel fuel lines attach to the rubber lines. Check out those areas for gas stains. They might not have fully tightened fittings after flushing out the old gas.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I too am now a member of the EPC club. It 2:00 AM Easter morning and I just got home after a terrible night along the side of the road. My wife went out for the night and then I got a call and she said that the EPC and engine lights had come on and the car was running erratically. I had to call Audi road side service and wait an hour for them to come and tow the car away. They have to store the car at some service yard until Monday when the dealer open before I find out what is up. It's only has 6500 miles on it and it's pretty aggravating to have a new and expensive car **** the bed on you. Man I miss the Merc!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: EPC & Engine Light ON! 9k miles!