Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excess oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

MIN indicates 'add a quart'.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
MIN indicates 'add a quart'.
Thanks, thought so, then a true dip-stick will indicate if there is even more then a quart burned where as the MMI warning goes off when a quart down and you cannot get a reading beyond that on the electronic MMI electronic dip-stick since it does not show up after the warning oil can symbol appears. Having an oil burning problem, I want a good old fashion stick-it-in the motor dip stick to get a an actual reading rather than an electronic reading that might have a chance of error, even if it is only a slight chance.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
I have the dipstick in place now for about a month. The dealer did not know of any reason why it could not remain in the dipstick tube.
The crankcase is a sealed system as long as there are no leaks there is nothing wrong with keeping in the dipstick. If you end up getting faults for a lean condition I would check the o-ring to see if it is still sealing.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Taktix1
2012 A6, had it for 11 months now. Has 9500 miles on it and did the 5k service. The car says I'm not due for another service until 15k miles and my oil guage is at about 50% right now. Seems normal to me so far (knock on wood).
I spoke too soon guys. The low oil has hit me. I'm at 19k miles and did the 15k service. Was told to add 1 qt of oil this morning. So it's been 4k miles since I've needed oil. Tech topped it off and sent me along. I'll wait to see if I get this message again before pushing for something to be done. He told me this was "normal."
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had part one of oil consumption test done and crank case vent valve replaced at 18K miles. The dealer told me to monitor the oil level. 4K miles later I get another "add 1 qt oil" warning. I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I do not believe this is normal, even if the dealer says so.

Has anyone had this problem fully fixed? What work was done and how much convincing did it take?

My car is C7 2012 A6 3.0 TFSI.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
4K miles later I get another "add 1 qt oil" warning. I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I do not believe this is normal, even if the dealer says so.
Unfortunately, 1 quart in 4,000 miles fits well into the "normal consumption" range, as determined by Audi. I doubt you're going to get anywhere with them.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I made appt for next Tuesday, 4/15. They tried saying it's normal, but I politely said it's not my first German car and I believe such oil consumption is excessive.

It's not the inconvenience of adding 1 qt every 4000 miles, but the fear that the root cause can lead to a major engine problem once the warranty is over. I am planning to keep the car till 95K-100K miles. That's what I fear - them passing on the cost of engine defect to me.

Are my worries unfounded? Has anyone successfully argued with them on that issue and had it resolved?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

After the part 1 test they replaced some valve and oil consumption dropped from every 2,000 miles per quart to every 4,000 miles per quart. So, today I had a part 2 of oil consumption test done by a local Audi dealer. They confirmed that a quart is used per 4,000 miles and said it's normal. I voiced my opposition and concern and said that my previous car, a BMW, with 15,000 oil change intervals didn't need oil in between, but they still stood firm and said such oil use is normal. I asked where does the oil go and they said the oil enters the cylinders and gets burned off and that's normal.

Not sure what my next step is, aside of stocking up on oil bottles. Has anyone successfully argued with dealer on this issue and won? Would calling AoA help or a waste of time?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2012 A6 3.0 Prestige

I have just reached 27000 on my 2012. I use NO oil. After leaving the dealer at 24500, the electronic dipstick said max - today? still max. I went from 15000 to 24500 and a year of driving - the level went from max to like a 16th of an inch below.

that's it. Not sure why you guys are chowing oil....but this is a non-issue for me.

anyway - fyi.

Scott
Old 04-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

4k is completely normal for a quart. Some BMW TT V8s will use a quart every 2k, and I've gotten the "new" Hemi to go through a quart in about a thousand.

It depends how hard you drive. The harder you drive, the more oil it will use, both through the PCV and through the breather hose. Take the bypass elbow off your blower and you'll find it. It will REEK of oil when you remove that. I can't wait to get my hands on a spare blower from a 3.0T. I bet the intake plenum/manifold, intercooler cores and possibly the rotors will be coated in either oil or burnt on oil residue.

Quick Reply: Excess oil consumption