Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excessive Oil Consumption

So about a little over a month ago the A6 said it needed oil added. Some was added at the time. It is saying again as of today to add more oil. The oil was changed at around 5,000 miles when the car said take it in for service. Since then over 6,000 miles have been put on but no service message had popped up.

Anyone else having to put oil in over such a small period of time? I would expect that probably around 2,500 miles have been put on since the oil was added.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
So about a little over a month ago the A6 said it needed oil added. Some was added at the time. It is saying again as of today to add more oil. The oil was changed at around 5,000 miles when the car said take it in for service. Since then over 6,000 miles have been put on but no service message had popped up.

Anyone else having to put oil in over such a small period of time? I would expect that probably around 2,500 miles have been put on since the oil was added.
No oil usage issue with my car. Just had the 15K service performed and if memory serves me well the oil level was barely below the full indication thru the MMI.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No oil issues here either, 11k + miles.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a thread before I purchased A6 at:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...il+consumption

So far about 3k miles & no issues, according to owners manual some oil consumption is expected I honestly do not agree with that if multiple members reported no consumption on their A6. Normally if this continues they can do oil leakage test but I would report it, with my dealer (Canada) they will add oil free (quart when it is a low level). Let us know.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car was missing a 1/4 of the bar in the MMI at 7000 KM and I drive my car very spiritedly and our weather reach 115 most of the time (apr-sep) and occasionally hits 120 so it is extreme weather
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should make a complain at the dealer because IMO i think one month is too fast to burn a quart of oil
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's most likely a faulty sensor, go take it service, they'll replace the sensor an drain the extra oil.

Happened to me, make sure you don't add anymore oil until you see the dealership.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
It's most likely a faulty sensor, go take it service, they'll replace the sensor an drain the extra oil.

Happened to me, make sure you don't add anymore oil until you see the dealership.
I would follow this Metallic-Force's advice....do not add more oil as too much oil is very bad and can damage the engine seals. Take it to your dealer...
Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts

As I understand it Audi claim anything up to 1 litre of oil consumption per 1000 miles is acceptable. Consumption between individual cars seems to vary considerably (with some claiming how the car is driven over the first 1000 miles having a critical effect) You don't say how much you have added after 2500 miles but if it 1 litre (or quart as they are close) or less then I do not think your dealer is going to admit excessive oil consumption.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

5k after my first oil change and the level shows half...will take it to the dealer......any comments on how many had the same issues?

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption