Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a drive today my car just told me to add a quart of oil and a light illuminated on the dash. I had the first oil change done about 5,000 miles ago....I haven't contacted my dealer to see what they say yet, though.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the car anymore as my (ex)wife took it with her, but from what she said the service department told her they thought the oil sensor was being sensitive that it didn't appear to be low enough when the performed the oil change.

Not sure how true that is...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S6 currently still shows full oil after about 1,300 miles (and a couple of launch control starts :-))
Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which engine do you have? The 2.0 has had problems with high oil consumption in the past but I haven't heard of the issue recently. Google is your friend.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys, my car is at 22k, I just got a low oil warning and that I should add a maximum of 1qrt before driving...

I had ALL my services done on their time... so I'm thinking the last one was at 20k?

Do you guys recommend adding oil before driving it again? or wait till Monday to take it to the dealership.

I'll at least drive another 50 miles Sunday.

I think adding oil and then the dealer telling me it was a faulty sensor (AGAIN!) and adding the oil was a bad idea shouldn't be my fault? because the car told me so?

I'm very unlucky it seems....
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Take a pic of the warning with the ODOMETER reading so that u can show it to the dealer as proof..Even better will be a small video of this including the VIN so that u have solid proof!!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Hey guys, my car is at 22k, I just got a low oil warning and that I should add a maximum of 1qrt before driving...

I had ALL my services done on their time... so I'm thinking the last one was at 20k?

Do you guys recommend adding oil before driving it again? or wait till Monday to take it to the dealership.

I'll at least drive another 50 miles Sunday.

I think adding oil and then the dealer telling me it was a faulty sensor (AGAIN!) and adding the oil was a bad idea shouldn't be my fault? because the car told me so?

I'm very unlucky it seems....
Shouldn't your last service have been at 15000 miles? US 3.0T cars have the first service at 5000, the second one at 15000, and the third one at 25000.

Since you had a previous issue with a bad sensor, you may want to go to the dealer first. Did you get the dipstick (Audi part #06E115611H) mentioned in the other thread to check the oil level manually? I need to get one for my car as well.

I had the first service done at 5000 and my car said to add a quart of oil at around 12000 miles. I took it to the dealer because I wasn't sure if I could trust the sensor (based off of your thread). They added half a liter and left the rest in my trunk (they had these cool little cases that velcro to the side of the trunk that include two paper funnels, absorbent cloth, wipes to clean your hands, and of course a liter of oil).

I took some pics of the oil kit and where the dipstick cover is for reference...
Attached Images      

Last edited by darcivic00si; 11-04-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by darcivic00si
Shouldn't your last service have been at 15000 miles? US 3.0T cars have the first service at 5000, the second one at 15000, and the third one at 25000.

Since you had a previous issue with a bad sensor, you may want to go to the dealer first. Did you get the dipstick (Audi part #06E115611H) mentioned in the other thread to check the oil level manually? I need to get one for my car as well.

I had the first service done at 5000 and my car said to add a quart of oil at around 12000 miles. I took it to the dealer because I wasn't sure if I could trust the sensor (based off of your thread). They added half a liter and left the rest in my trunk (they had these cool little cases that velcro to the side of the trunk that include two paper funnels, absorbent cloth, wipes to clean your hands, and of course a liter of oil).

I took some pics of the oil kit and where the dipstick cover is for reference...
15K service sounds about right, it's just that my car has been in so much crap I forgot when I had it done.

No I didn't get the dipstick, but I think the sensor might be accurate this time. Becausr only a few days ago I was showing a friend all the features this monolith has, I ran into the oil gauge on the MMI and it was on low. However, I believe that's the same way it happened the first time. So back to Square one.

I'd like to ask them for that kit, did you have to pay for anything?

I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for this service if in fact, I did need oil.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
15K service sounds about right, it's just that my car has been in so much crap I forgot when I had it done.

No I didn't get the dipstick, but I think the sensor might be accurate this time. Becausr only a few days ago I was showing a friend all the features this monolith has, I ran into the oil gauge on the MMI and it was on low. However, I believe that's the same way it happened the first time. So back to Square one.

I'd like to ask them for that kit, did you have to pay for anything?

I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for this service if in fact, I did need oil.
I scheduled that service for the low oil warning light and, at the same time, to reset my airbag light because I removed my MMI and radio unit to get EU maps, radio, and rSAP flashed by NaviService in Poland. The airbag warning light illuminated when I put it back together because the passenger airbag warning light had been disconnected.

They charged me £40 labor to reset the airbag light and £16.67 for the oil kit. VAT here is pretty expensive @20%, so my total was £68 which is about $108.

I also bought an extra oil kit just in case...that's why I have two of them in the pictures.

My dealership has excellent service! So, I don't mind paying the premium price for their work. They take care of me and I feel welcome every time I go there! It is Bury St Edmunds Audi, in case anyone cares, lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also had a problem with this. Went to get my airconditioner filters changed due to foul smells and the car showed min level of oil. I asked them why this was the case and the told it was due to the turbocharger. They claim turbo charges burn much more oil. Is that really true for engines these days?

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption