Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I also had a problem with this. Went to get my airconditioner filters changed due to foul smells and the car showed min level of oil. I asked them why this was the case and the told it was due to the turbocharger. They claim turbo charges burn much more oil. Is that really true for engines these days?
You mean supercharger? I'm not sure about that, but I don't think it's true for turbos though, since they practically use the back pressure to push the car, meaning it uses the "wasted" air from the engine, this is why everyone uses is it, its quite efficient. However, oil consumption is quite high for CVT engines, they need earlier and more frequent services.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

CVT is not an engine technology; it's a transmission technology. The transmission has no effect on engine oil consumption.
As far as supercharged vs. turbocharged, from the engine's perspective both supply air at higher pressure than naturally aspirated engines. Turbos compress the air via a turbine spun by exhaust gases, superchargers via a belt hooked up to a compressor. The engine sees higher volume of air for a given engine size, thus increasing both power and stress on the engine. Both the turbo and the supercharger are external to the engine itself.

I'm not sure I buy the theory that turbos burn more oil than N/A engines if properly designed; I've had NA cars that burnt a lot of oil (1Qt/ 1500 mi) and supercharged engines that burnt absolutely no oil in a 5K replacement interval.

In any case, best to ask the dealer what they consider normal. Most brands will not do anything for a car that burns less than 1qt/1000 miles or so, unless there's an oil leak that is visible.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
CVT is not an engine technology; it's a transmission technology. The transmission has no effect on engine oil consumption.
I feel stupid for thinking so, but I know I read somewhere that the CVT A6 requires more frequent oil services than the 3.0T. Maybe transmission oil?

I went to my dealer, turns out it was in fact low on oil. They put a qrt and sent me on my way, free of charge.

Funny thing is, they have the oil behind the service podium outside, seems everyone is coming to them for it.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
I feel stupid for thinking so, but I know I read somewhere that the CVT A6 requires more frequent oil services than the 3.0T. Maybe transmission oil?

I went to my dealer, turns out it was in fact low on oil. They put a qrt and sent me on my way, free of charge.

Funny thing is, they have the oil behind the service podium outside, seems everyone is coming to them for it.
Turbocharger, not supercharger. Difficult to type on my iPhone. My car isn't US specs and I have a 8 speed, not CVT. burning more oil didn't make any sense to me, but I wasn't sure so I posted here about it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

My girlfriend's A6 is at 8k miles and the oil level is below the min line. Car was serviced at 5k miles. Her commute is usually 70-80 miles round trip per day in stop and go traffic. My guess is the traffic contributed to the oil consumption. Dealer says the A6 is still in break in period and with the type of driving, its probably normal and its would be ok to add 1/2 qt of oil in.

Seems kinda early to add oil, but hey, better safe than sorry.

Question, was told Castro or Pennzoil 5w-40 fully synth oil was ok to add, any recommendations besides those two?

ps. my A6 is going strong with oil levels full on the MMI.

Last edited by dht34; 12-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems 5w-40 isn't readily available in the auto part stores. Manual does say 5w30 or 0w40 can be substituted.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dht34
Seems 5w-40 isn't readily available in the auto part stores. Manual does say 5w30 or 0w40 can be substituted.
Make sure the oil is 502.00 certified; there are a couple brands that make oil specifically certified for Audi Long Life.
I bought my oil at o'reilly's (used to be Kragen auto parts). Most auto parts stores will carry at least one oil that will be certified, but most gas stations and stores like wal-mart or target do not carry these. You'll have to look at the label to find if they are 502.00; most of the employees I asked had no idea about the certification, or whether they sold the oil. The one I bought is Mobil.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dht34
My girlfriend's A6 is at 8k miles and the oil level is below the min line. Car was serviced at 5k miles. Her commute is usually 70-80 miles round trip per day in stop and go traffic. My guess is the traffic contributed to the oil consumption. Dealer says the A6 is still in break in period and with the type of driving, its probably normal and its would be ok to add 1/2 qt of oil in.

Seems kinda early to add oil, but hey, better safe than sorry.

Question, was told Castro or Pennzoil 5w-40 fully synth oil was ok to add, any recommendations besides those two?

ps. my A6 is going strong with oil levels full on the MMI.
Originally Posted by mikem33
Make sure the oil is 502.00 certified; there are a couple brands that make oil specifically certified for Audi Long Life.
I bought my oil at o'reilly's (used to be Kragen auto parts). Most auto parts stores will carry at least one oil that will be certified, but most gas stations and stores like wal-mart or target do not carry these. You'll have to look at the label to find if they are 502.00; most of the employees I asked had no idea about the certification, or whether they sold the oil. The one I bought is Mobil.
Don't the approved Oil vendors also show some sort of VW approved message on the bottle?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Our oil level light came on at just under 4000 miles. I put in a quart of Castrol Edge (formerly Castrol Syntec) Full Synthetic 5W-30.

Just noticed on the bottle that Castol is owned by BP. Boo.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I had very similar experience. My 2012 3.0 seems to be drinking a quart every 3500-4500 miles.

Originally Posted by spoon2000
Our oil level light came on at just under 4000 miles. I put in a quart of Castrol Edge (formerly Castrol Syntec) Full Synthetic 5W-30.

Just noticed on the bottle that Castol is owned by BP. Boo.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption