Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

External Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Temperature

I'm noticing my external temperature measurements (in the instrument cluster) are always higher than the actual temperature outside. Often it can be as much as 10F higher than the actual temperature than my iPhone tells me. Last night it was rather obvious with it telling me that it was some 80F while outside was clearly not that warm lol.

Anyone else having problems like this? Just wondering if this is a design issue (e.g. poor location of temp sensor) or if its possibly a faulty/miscalibrated external temp sensor.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight_mare
I'm noticing my external temperature measurements (in the instrument cluster) are always higher than the actual temperature outside. Often it can be as much as 10F higher than the actual temperature than my iPhone tells me. Last night it was rather obvious with it telling me that it was some 80F while outside was clearly not that warm lol.

Anyone else having problems like this? Just wondering if this is a design issue (e.g. poor location of temp sensor) or if its possibly a faulty/miscalibrated external temp sensor.
I think it is the location of the sensor, near the bottom of the front grille and closer to the ground which is absorbing heat all day...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I think it is the location of the sensor, near the bottom of the front grille and closer to the ground which is absorbing heat all day...
The iPhone gives you twc. The Audi actually has a sensor. Plenty of times my iPhone says there is a thunderstorm when it's warm and sunny. The hourly forecast today was rain 40% chance and it never sprinkled. Maybe it's your phone that is wrong.

The temp in the car does seem to need a few minutes on real hot days to get a real reading though. I find it to be fairly accurate after about 5 minutes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jaybanks9
The iPhone gives you twc. The Audi actually has a sensor. Plenty of times my iPhone says there is a thunderstorm when it's warm and sunny. The hourly forecast today was rain 40% chance and it never sprinkled. Maybe it's your phone that is wrong.

The temp in the car does seem to need a few minutes on real hot days to get a real reading though. I find it to be fairly accurate after about 5 minutes
Yeah I was thinking the same thing over and over again that the temp sensor just needs to soak. However, I've driven for hours and still the reading tends to be 5-10 degrees to hot.

In the morning out of my garage it tends to be pretty good. But once its been outdoors, it tends to always be too high. I realize that the iPhone temp is reported temp from a local station, but it tends to be rather close in my area. Not to mention I can see digital temp measurements from signs and from my home, and regardless My Audi measured temp is always too high.

I think I'll have to have them look at this when I take it in for my 5k service.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Knight_mare
Yeah I was thinking the same thing over and over again that the temp sensor just needs to soak. However, I've driven for hours and still the reading tends to be 5-10 degrees to hot.

In the morning out of my garage it tends to be pretty good. But once its been outdoors, it tends to always be too high. I realize that the iPhone temp is reported temp from a local station, but it tends to be rather close in my area. Not to mention I can see digital temp measurements from signs and from my home, and regardless My Audi measured temp is always too high.

I think I'll have to have them look at this when I take it in for my 5k service.
I get what you're saying. I'm not sure what it is unless it's just the road surface and other vehicles making the reading high.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In Phoenix, my sensor is right on unfortunately. My record indication is 118 deg F.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by toneman82
In Phoenix, my sensor is right on unfortunately. My record indication is 118 deg F.
I have you beat: when I lived in Scottsdale a few years back I went into downtown Phoenix with my BMW 3 series and registered 123!