Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?

[Apologies.. my first post in AudiWorld so please bear with me]

I am deciding between the 535xi and the A6 3.0T. I drove the 535xi earlier in the week - quick, firm stable ride.
The A6 i drove today. It is very quick, and handled well. Comparable options also make it about 5k lower than the 535. I initially was all set for the 535xi but reading the reviews and today's test drive make me pause.
Others who switched to A6 3.0T OR in the other direction.. can you share some of your decision points?

Thanks! - Deepster.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was also thinking about the 535xi- but the A^ won me over. The 5 series big plus is it's comfort seats- they are the best in the business and I wish Audi would make something similar as an option and its brakes. But that's it- the A6 is better in all the other important areas. #1 was the engine/transmission response. The bimmer is just slow from stop lights even in every day driving. The tip-in lag is really annoying to me from a 300hp+ vehicle. The ride is more harsh in comfort mode with 20" wheels as well. I also like the Audi style, it is classy and sporty (but you must get the Prestige model to make the biggest impact- the other mosels are a bit too conservative in my taste. You also see way too many 5 series and the A6 stands out in the crowd. They are both great cars.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I looked into the 535xi and drove them back to back many times. They both are nice cars but I don't know if the 535xi was 7k more nicer.
The 5 feels big and the seats are really comfortable esp with the thigh extenders for long trips. I'm not too crazy with the iDrive system. I feel it's a bit complicated to use. I dislike the fact that BMW are using runflats with no spare in the trunk. The drive is comfortable and numb (maybe because the car felt big?). And the one I drove had severe turbo lag. Rumors that they had software update since?
I love the styling on the A6. The LED driving lights are so cool! The MMI is so much easier to use and this is coming from a long time Lexus owner. A6 drives very nimble and its a big car. Even with the prestige package, a6 is still less than a 535xi.
I remember someone here went from a c7 to a f10. I don't remember his reason. They both are nice cars and you can't go wrong with either. You will get more people here telling you to go with a c7 a6! I know I truly enjoy mine with no regret!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you try the "Search this Forum" you will find quite a lot of discussion comparing the two... When I bought mine (Back in July), I came down to the 535xi, and Lexus GS350. IMHO, all three are outstanding cars, but for my needs, I liked the A6 the best, and interestingly it was the most price competitive - not something you find every day. The A6 and 535xi are both exceptional cars, with pros and cons, but I think the decision is very subjective in the final analysis. It really depends on what you value the most.

I had a thread back then - it does have some good discussion in it, you are welcome to have a look... https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ght=535+GS+350
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deepster5150

I am deciding between the 535xi and the A6 3.0T. .
Both are excellent automobiles.

The 535xi may be more expensive, however, you should probably be able to get a larger discount on the BMW versus Audi. Additionally, the BMW will probably have higher residuals and lower payments if you are considering leasing.

The 535xi does not have turbo lag - it has a throttle tip in issue that many people do not like. Read some comments on bimmerfest for a complete review and opinions.

The 535xi drives and handles very well - the criticisms on handling are usually based on the fact that the 5 series now feels more like the larger 7 series, and not as nimble as the prior E60 series 535.

The one big advantage to the 535xi are the awesome optional comfort seats - the best in the business. Disadvantages include the run flat tires.

The A6 excels at a lot of things - including the excellent 3.0 supercharged engine and transmission. Don't get the larger wheels and sport package if you are expecting a "comfort" type cruiser. Test drive both and sport and not sport and find out what suits you best. Some folks love the pop-up navigation - others don't like it.

Good luck with your decision. Both cars are great.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was considering both the 535i and A6 3.0 prior to deciding on the A6. Additionally, I previously owned a 335i, so I am very familiar with that particular BMW motor. I certainly liked the 535 when I test drove it and it was high on my list, but in the end, the A6 won primarily because of the superiority of its engine performance. The A6 is meaningfully quicker that the 535, though handling may be a bit worse. I also prefer the interior features of the Audi.

I suspect you would be happy with either car, but before deciding on the BMW, make sure you can live with the maddening throttle lag (as previously mentioned on this thread and others) and the terrible standard run flats. Also, it may not matter to you, but where I live (NorCal) I see 5-10 535s on the road for every 1 A6.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

3 things jumped out at me. The interior of an Audi is best in class. Both my wife and I have had 7 BMWs for 11 years 15 years ago and in looking at a BMW today just does not do anything for me. The 525ix will cost a little more partly because of the no-cost maintenance program - great if you clock a lot of miles on the car. if I recall, the ride and braking might edge out an A6.

With that said, both cars are great and it boils down to individual preferences and one's perception of each brand.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Quattro vs. "x". I've never driven an x-based bimmer but from what I heard, it doesn't hold a candle to Audi's quattro.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Folks
This is GREAT feedback! Truly appreciate this.
My takeaway was the nibleness of the A6 as compared to the 535xi. Nice interior too.
I have read a lot about the BMW contour seats. So i am going to check them out (have back problems). I need to check the drive again to see if it matches the A6 experience.
Thx again!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my take, for what it's worth. As a caveat, I am a BMW guy. I just am. I've had 10 bimmers over the last 15 years, everything from a 320i to my recent 750i. I've loved them all, and hated them for reasons I can't go into as well. I've also had a 2005 A6 and currently I have a 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige.

To put it simply, I want to trade in my A6 now for a 535xi. I do like the looks of the A6 from the exterior, very sharp car. And I have the 19" sport wheels and it looks even better. I blacked out the rings on the front and rear and debadged the rest, as I do with every car. Again, the car looks great and a little mean as well. Very aggressive.

BUT- it does NOT drive like a BMW, it just doesn't. It's quick as hell, which is nice. But the interior does not come close to measuring up to the BMW. The leather is significantly cheaper feeling, and because the car is aluminum, it feels like a Honda when you close the doors. And it's not nearly as quiet inside while on the highway as a BMW. The MMI and nav etc are fantastic in the Audi, I give them that. But again, for driveability, if that's what you're looking for, you have to go BMW. The BMW handles much better. I agree that it is not as quick off the line. Audi wins on that one.

But for overall feel for the drive, it isn't as good. And the interior just feels cheap overall. The cabin in the BMW is just so comfortable. My friend just got the 535xi, sports package with the M package and it is the perfect car. I wish I could like the A6 more but I can't. I do not get excited to drive it every time i get in it like i did my BMW.

Best of luck. Either way, you're getting a nice car, it just depends on what is more important to you.

Oh, and the seats, the seats, the seats, BMW all the way. I can't stand the seat in my Audi.

Quick Reply: Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?