Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 A6 3.0 prestige, but was very close to purchasing the 535. Here is the big reason you don't want the 535, "Battery Discharge". Just do a google search or search on Bimmerfest. I was fortunate enough to visit a dealer who admitted to battery issues, when I popped the hood of a new 2013 535, there was a aftermarket battery charger bolted inside, which was sold by the dealer with the car. The service tech said if you don't drive 12.8 miles daily (exact numbers he used) you need to charge the battery a few days a week, or battery will fail, "Battery Discharge" message. Also if parked for a week or two, may not start unless plugged in. The problem is the alternator, called a clutched alternator or Efficient Dynamics (bmw name) which does not continuously keep battery topped off like audi. It only charges when braking or coasting or when Batt drops to like 70%, this increases mpg but kills batteries. Awful design, but don't expect most dealers to disclose this. $500 for new battery.

Another 535 negative like others said, run flats, no spare tire, tire sidewall bubbles, bent rims.

Plus for the 535, I think exterior is more cohesive, especially front, but my A6 has grown on me, more muscular looking.

The 535 Multi contour seats are the best in the business, A6 prestige are ok, but not great.

A6 has a superior interior and tech, NO buyers remorse.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WannaS6

To put it simply, I want to trade in my A6 now for a 535xi.

BUT- it does NOT drive like a BMW, it just doesn't. It's quick as hell, which is nice. But the interior does not come close to measuring up to the BMW. The leather is significantly cheaper feeling, and because the car is aluminum, it feels like a Honda when you close the doors. And it's not nearly as quiet inside while on the highway as a BMW.
I disagree with your assessment, however, you are entitled to your opinions.

I am assuming that you test drove the A6 before purchasing? Why did you buy one if you didn't like the interior, leather, or handling?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WannaS6
Here's my take, for what it's worth. As a caveat, I am a BMW guy. I just am. I've had 10 bimmers over the last 15 years, everything from a 320i to my recent 750i. I've loved them all, and hated them for reasons I can't go into as well. I've also had a 2005 A6 and currently I have a 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige.

To put it simply, I want to trade in my A6 now for a 535xi. I do like the looks of the A6 from the exterior, very sharp car. And I have the 19" sport wheels and it looks even better. I blacked out the rings on the front and rear and debadged the rest, as I do with every car. Again, the car looks great and a little mean as well. Very aggressive.

BUT- it does NOT drive like a BMW, it just doesn't. It's quick as hell, which is nice. But the interior does not come close to measuring up to the BMW. The leather is significantly cheaper feeling, and because the car is aluminum, it feels like a Honda when you close the doors. And it's not nearly as quiet inside while on the highway as a BMW. The MMI and nav etc are fantastic in the Audi, I give them that. But again, for driveability, if that's what you're looking for, you have to go BMW. The BMW handles much better. I agree that it is not as quick off the line. Audi wins on that one.

But for overall feel for the drive, it isn't as good. And the interior just feels cheap overall. The cabin in the BMW is just so comfortable. My friend just got the 535xi, sports package with the M package and it is the perfect car. I wish I could like the A6 more but I can't. I do not get excited to drive it every time i get in it like i did my BMW.

Best of luck. Either way, you're getting a nice car, it just depends on what is more important to you.

Oh, and the seats, the seats, the seats, BMW all the way. I can't stand the seat in my Audi.
I fail to understand why you bought the A6 ? Anyway everyone has a right to explore and reconsider , so not a big deal ...hehe!!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
I disagree with your assessment, however, you are entitled to your opinions.

I am assuming that you test drove the A6 before purchasing? Why did you buy one if you didn't like the interior, leather, or handling?
+1.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Seriously, everyone is definitely entitled to an opinion. So WannaS6 may not want to buy an S6 now and should seriously look at a 550ix instead. Again, I have had 1 323i, 3 M3s, 1 525i, 1 M5 and 1 X5 and after 7 BMWs, I still think my last 3 Audi (A4, S5 and Q7) have been the best overall value to exterior/interior performance ratio in a luxury brand.

Which is why I decided to get an S6 (hopefully in this/next week).

No one brand is perfect in all aspects but Audi has a fair share of accolades as reported by many online and magazine reviews especially in the last 18 months, including the one where the S6 beat the F10 M5 fair and square.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2838237

I agree the 535i is not a push-over but ....

Wishing you the best when you trade in your A6 for the 535i
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2009 535i & 1 year old 2012 A6, when I test drove the new F10 (535i) to replace my 535i(E60) I was looking for equivalent or better handling. A6 satisfied what I was looking for as far as sporty & solid handling. Compared to A6 I found 535i (new & mine) quieter on high way, brakes feel is better. Steering feel since it is hydraulic on 2009 (535i) gives better road feedback, 535i X drive has hydraulic but not as sharp as old 535i. On the other hand I'm impressed also by A6 reliability as one can see on this forum, minor issues but no failure patterns. The only way to decide is to see which one suits the needs & what you prefer. Both are winners & in ideal world they are beautiful cars to own & be proud of.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stoulana
The only way to decide is to see which one suits the needs & what you prefer. Both are winners & in ideal world they are beautiful cars to own & be proud of.
+1
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
+1
+2
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Top Ten Reasons to Go With the Audi A6;

1. Performance
2. Looks
3. Value
4. Looks
5. No need to pay extra $$ to get the full performance (ref BMW speed limiter)
6. Looks
7. Don't have to deal with run flats
8. Everyone drives a BMW these days
9. Everyone's mother drives a BMW these days
10 Everyone's father drives a BMW these days
Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Top Ten Reasons to Go With the Audi A6;

1. Performance
2. Looks
3. Value
4. Looks
5. No need to pay extra $$ to get the full performance (ref BMW speed limiter)
6. Looks
7. Don't have to deal with run flats
8. Everyone drives a BMW these days
9. Everyone's mother drives a BMW these days
10 Everyone's father drives a BMW these days
Good one

+3

Quick Reply: Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?