Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My two cents

I test drove both the 535xi and the A6 (3.0) lots of times before I made my decision. These are the strengths of both that I feel are important.
I went with the A6 and have no regrets. But I think both these cars are great and dont think you can go wrong with either.

Audi A6 advantages:
1. Much sportier, stylish exterior, LED lights look awesome!
2. Feels 'less bulky' and handling I feel is better than the BMW just because of that reason.
3. Also the A6 drivers view is better with great visibility all round and you feel 'more in control of the car' (maybe just a personal thing here).
4. Slightly less expensive that the 535xi
5. More technology, far more technology than the BMW
6. Just feels like a overall young car than the BMW (no offense meant to the 'older' folks).
7. Definitely and clearly faster than the BMW.

BMW 535xi advantages:
1. The BMW 4 year maintainence is covered, Audi charges around 850$ extra for a 'Audi Care plan'. Probably not a big one as the BMW is more expensive anyway.
2.The interior I feel is more 'classy and rich' with the BMW than the Audi. Audi has a beautiful interior too but the BMW interior feels really rich.
3. BMW SEATS ROCK!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Top Ten Reasons to Go With the Audi A6;

1. Performance
2. Looks
3. Value
4. Looks
5. No need to pay extra $$ to get the full performance (ref BMW speed limiter)
6. Looks
7. Don't have to deal with run flats
8. Everyone drives a BMW these days
9. Everyone's mother drives a BMW these days
10 Everyone's father drives a BMW these days
haha
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Top Ten Reasons to Go With the Audi A6;

1. Performance
2. Looks
3. Value
4. Looks
5. No need to pay extra $$ to get the full performance (ref BMW speed limiter)
6. Looks
7. Don't have to deal with run flats
8. Everyone drives a BMW these days
9. Everyone's mother drives a BMW these days
10 Everyone's father drives a BMW these days
LOL, good one. I personally just loved bimmers....until I drove the new A6. In my eyes, Audi has nailed it in this category. 3 series still beats A4 accordingly to me..but A6 beats 5 series. Style, technology, handling, comfort, looks...I get lot more compliments for my car than my friends who own the 5 series. Gotta say this though...some folks still feel that 5 series is richer in the eyes of people...just MB is...I have never been a brand guy. I go with what I feel good about. Funny thing is that my wife is more brand conscious but even loves Audi over BMW now.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Seriously, everyone is definitely entitled to an opinion. So WannaS6 may not want to buy an S6 now and should seriously look at a 550ix instead. Again, I have had 1 323i, 3 M3s, 1 525i, 1 M5 and 1 X5 and after 7 BMWs, I still think my last 3 Audi (A4, S5 and Q7) have been the best overall value to exterior/interior performance ratio in a luxury brand.

Which is why I decided to get an S6 (hopefully in this/next week).

No one brand is perfect in all aspects but Audi has a fair share of accolades as reported by many online and magazine reviews especially in the last 18 months, including the one where the S6 beat the F10 M5 fair and square.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2838237

I agree the 535i is not a push-over but ....

Wishing you the best when you trade in your A6 for the 535i
I agree wholeheartedly that everyone has an opinion, and like they say, they're like a$$holes, everyone has one

I really want to like my A6 more, I really do. I just don't get jazzed to get in it every day like I did with my 750. And the A6 is so much quicker than the 5 series, which I do appreciate. I just miss the interior and quietness of the BMW. An S6 is a different beast altogether and I'm sure the driveability factor is amazing on that thing. I think part of the issue for me is the aluminum body on the Audis, they're just too loud.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I test drove both as well. First off just so everybody is aware; there is a few thousand dollar price difference, BUT BMW negotiates and Audi does not. I got my $65K 535i for $57K. So for all intents and purposes they were the same price

Both are great cars, and I definitely give the Audi the edge in the engine category. The lag in the BMW was a problem on the early 2011 builds and is no longer an issue. One major disappointment for me was the audis interior. I had read a lot about audis amazing interiors. I wasn't impressed. Cheap feeling leather. Cheap doors. Small nav screen. And it seemed that the dealer only had black interiors. The BMW was much more upscale feeling. Real leather everywhere. Comfort seats are the best in the business. I ended up with an oyster interior which looks amazing with the black headliner

I also preferred bmw's angel eyes headlights over audis LEDs. Everybody is making LEDs now (even Kia) but when you see those angel eyes you know that's a BMW. Very distinctive. And they're standard.

Also I didn't need awd so I decided to go with the 535i. Plus the free maintenance. Both are great cars but the BMW definitely felt richer and more luxurious to me. You really feel it on the highway where it is rock solid
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

These are all fanboy posts and meaningless. I have owned a couple BMWs but now have an Audi. I will never buy anything but an Audi now. But that's just me

My buddy scoffs at Audi and is buying a 640 Gran. That's a great car too.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omaralt
I test drove both as well. First off just so everybody is aware; there is a few thousand dollar price difference, BUT BMW negotiates and Audi does not. I got my $65K 535i for $57K. So for all intents and purposes they were the same price

Both are great cars, and I definitely give the Audi the edge in the engine category. The lag in the BMW was a problem on the early 2011 builds and is no longer an issue. One major disappointment for me was the audis interior. I had read a lot about audis amazing interiors. I wasn't impressed. Cheap feeling leather. Cheap doors. Small nav screen. And it seemed that the dealer only had black interiors. The BMW was much more upscale feeling. Real leather everywhere. Comfort seats are the best in the business. I ended up with an oyster interior which looks amazing with the black headliner

I also preferred bmw's angel eyes headlights over audis LEDs. Everybody is making LEDs now (even Kia) but when you see those angel eyes you know that's a BMW. Very distinctive. And they're standard.

Also I didn't need awd so I decided to go with the 535i. Plus the free maintenance. Both are great cars but the BMW definitely felt richer and more luxurious to me. You really feel it on the highway where it is rock solid
Grabbing a bag of popcorn, and settling in for the show...

Since you decided to drop by with a bunch of imperative statements, Ill just add my $0.02. Just so ya know, I also looked at both... as well as the Lexus GS350. All three are incredible cars. Im a German car guy, so BMW and Audi went into the fray as my cars of choice.

I test drove both as well. First off just so everybody is aware; there is a few thousand dollar price difference, BUT BMW negotiates and Audi does not.
I call Bull*** on this one. Depends on the model and options chosen to be sure, but in July 2012, a comparably equipped 535xi and Audi A6 were net a few thousand difference, unless you call 7K a few thousand. In July 2012, BMW was willing to negotiate 3K off the sticker price. Perhaps BMW is more motivated today because Audi has taken a hunk out of their hide??

One major disappointment for me was the audis interior. I had read a lot about audis amazing interiors. I wasn't impressed. Cheap feeling leather. Cheap doors. Small nav screen. And it seemed that the dealer only had black interiors.
Guess you hold a different opinion that the Audi fans here (not surprising), but also much of the press. Your assertions are your opinion, not statements of fact. I will not criticize the BMW interior, it was outstanding. So is the Audi. So is the Lexus. As far as Im concerned, the seats set the benchmark in this class. But for my money, I liked the quality and look of the Audi interior better.

Good on ya... glad you like the headlights on the car you bought. And you look like every other BMW on the road. Comparing the Audi to a Kia is nothing short of silly tho.

Also I didn't need awd so I decided to go with the 535i. Plus the free maintenance. Both are great cars but the BMW definitely felt richer and more luxurious to me.
I suspect most of the people here start with AWD (Quattro) at the top of the requirements list. I know I did. There is no such thing as "free" maintenance. Its just priced into the car. I bought the Audi Care, so my price comparisons all included the $800. Apples to apples.

Seriously, enjoy your car. Its a great one. But one has to wonder if you work for BMW or someone in your family works for BMW to come onto an Audi enthusiast site with that as your first post. Do you have a vested interest in BMW?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I certainly dont agree with much of it. There are a lot of pros and cons between many quality competitors in this space. I for one love the competition. Its good for all of us... better cars every year.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Grabbing a bag of popcorn, and settling in for the show...

Since you decided to drop by with a bunch of imperative statements, Ill just add my $0.02. Just so ya know, I also looked at both... as well as the Lexus GS350. All three are incredible cars. Im a German car guy, so BMW and Audi went into the fray as my cars of choice.

i did as well. Drove all three. Joined all three forums. All three are great cars

I call Bull*** on this one. Depends on the model and options chosen to be sure, but in July 2012, a comparably equipped 535xi and Audi A6 were net a few thousand difference, unless you call 7K a few thousand. In July 2012, BMW was willing to negotiate 3K off the sticker price. Perhaps BMW is more motivated today because Audi has taken a hunk out of their hide??

if you go to bimmerfest many board sponsors are willing to sell for invoice +$500. When I bought they had $3500 in option credits. So I got it for $3000 under invoice. Very common stuff

Guess you hold a different opinion that the Audi fans here (not surprising), but also much of the press. Your assertions are your opinion, not statements of fact. I will not criticize the BMW interior, it was outstanding. So is the Audi. So is the Lexus. As far as Im concerned, the seats set the benchmark in this class. But for my money, I liked the quality and look of the Audi interior better.

they all had nice interiors. The audis just felt the cheapest to me. Look at the pics in this post. Illustrates what I'm talking about.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=4

Good on ya... glad you like the headlights on the car you bought. And you look like every other BMW on the road. Comparing the Audi to a Kia is nothing short of silly tho.

not comparing it to a Kia. Just saying that everybody is doing the led light thing

I suspect most of the people here start with AWD (Quattro) at the top of the requirements list. I know I did. There is no such thing as "free" maintenance. Its just priced into the car. I bought the Audi Care, so my price comparisons all included the $800. Apples to apples.

if awd is a must for you that shouldn't cancel out the gs BMW or Audi. All have awd

Seriously, enjoy your car. Its a great one. But one has to wonder if you work for BMW or someone in your family works for BMW to come onto an Audi enthusiast site with that as your first post. Do you have a vested interest in BMW?

i honestly have no affiliation to any company. I love cars and love to drive different brands. I switch every three years or so

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I certainly dont agree with much of it. There are a lot of pros and cons between many quality competitors in this space. I for one love the competition. Its good for all of us... better cars every year.
At the end of the day they're all great and you can't go wrong with either
Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

On that, we clearly agree! One of my very good friends bought a 535xi about a month before I picked up my A6. He has been a long standing BMW customer (most recently a 3 series). Fantastic car.

I suppose my prior car (an A4) influenced me heavily. I loved it. It is what hooked me on the "German" feel. But candidly, I have not owned a lot of cars (A total of three since I graduated from University of Cincinnati in '83) including my current A6. There are people on this forum that have owned a whole collection of Audi's and BMWs - fun to hear the stories and long term comparisons.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. People at Car & Driver, who drive many cars over the years, have their own opinions too!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=2013+10

Somehow I don't see the F10 on that list??

Enjoy this video:

I enjoy driving my C7 everyday!

Quick Reply: Folks who chose A6 3.0T over 535xi, can you please share experiences?