Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Full LED worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Full LED worth it?

Hello all. Just ordered my '12 A6 3.0 Prestige, and decided to add the Full LED package. Just wondering who has them and if they like them. It looks like also inside lights are LED too. Any positive or negatives?

Thoughts are appreciated and I am looking forward to joining the Audi community!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Inside LED lights come standard on the Prestige.... The Full LED option, is just the headlights...

I love mine... Make the car very unique... looks great at night, but nothing "earth shattering".... seems just as bright as a good pair of HIDs... maybe a little brighter
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

karch22: as a fellow new member (since December)...Welcome!

As far as the interior LED lighting, at1183 nailed it.

On the LED headlights, here are the positives as I see it:
1) No Blinking. This is when you enable the turn signal. On whatever side you are using, the LED DRL strip, will turn off until the turn signal is disabled.

2) Visibility: I think it is about the same as the Xenons

3) Looks: as at1183 said, it gives the car a unique look. Also, being a SciFi fan, I think it gives the car a "Cylon" look (from Battlestar Gallactica)

As far as any negatives, none come to mind as of yet. My only worry is about replacement costs, how much would it be outside of the warranty?

Taking all that in, would make the same choice again? I would say yes.

Last edited by manishaudi; 04-03-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like manishaudi said, the LED setup does not turn off the LED DRL when you are signaling, it turns the white LED DRL into a blinking amber strip. I dont like how the non-LED turns off the LED DRL on one side when signaling.

Other advantage of LED headlights are, whiter light output. Longer life than HID, LED also doesnt lose its intensity and color as it age, and finally LED use less power.

Are all that worth the price, that depends on how important those factors are to you personally. Dont forget, its not just the cost of the $1400 for the LED option, you need to add the cost of the HID lights which is deleted, the final cost is about $2400 for the LED headlights.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the prompt responses. Will check on warranty, but from what I have seen, they are similar to the A7 and A8, but with a different pattern. I agree, anything Cylon-like cannot be all bad!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Dont forget, its not just the cost of the $1400 for the LED option, you need to add the cost of the HID lights which is deleted, the final cost is about $2400 for the LED headlights.
My quote was only for code "PX2 LED headlights without range adjustment" gor $1400 add on. No other cost for HID involved on my quote...is that correct?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by karch22
My quote was only for code "PX2 LED headlights without range adjustment" gor $1400 add on. No other cost for HID involved on my quote...is that correct?
yup, it was the same on mine.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karch22
Yes, that is correct. Gman is just talking about the bigger picture...since you get the HIDS when you get the Prestige.

You can look at the different sport/wheel packages the same way...
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Dont forget, its not just the cost of the $1400 for the LED option, you need to add the cost of the HID lights which is deleted, the final cost is about $2400 for the LED headlights.
Sorry, can't agree with you. This would be true if you could buy the car without headlights, and you obviously can't. As the HIDs are part of the Prestige package you still aren't paying directly for them, and I would argue even that wouldn't be $1K.

Options are out of pocket cost, in this case $1400. Using your logic, as you can only get the LEDs with Prestige, you would have to add that cost as well. That is like chasing rabbits in your sleep.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
yup, it was the same on mine.
Not to change the subject, but your car is almost exactly what I ordered (I didn't do the side assist, but have the cold weather). I love the 20" rims! How do you like it so far?

I also noticed a credit of $350 for no CD player anymore on the prestige package (unless B&O was added. which I did not).

Quick Reply: Full LED worth it?