Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Full LED worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Estimated Prophet
Are the LED headlights covered under the vehicle 4 year warranty? I am considering an A6 and have thought about splurging for the LED's but the thought of a several thousand dollar repair on the off chance one would fail might make me settle for the HID's. I know regular bulbs aren't covered for the full length of the warranty for many manufacturers but the LED headlights are in a different league than a conventional bulb.
Originally Posted by Blackz06
Not completely sure if they will cover an LED that just happens to go out due to lifespan of the LED. I'd be rather amazed that one could drive with the headlights on long enough to have one go out in under 4 years. But they will cover the LED if there is a faulty part in it just as any other part of the car.

If you do get the extended warranty offered by Audi just keep in mind the LED's will not be covered by most plans. The only one that will cover the LED's, IIRC, is the platinum coverage.
My buddy has a Q5 with the eyebrow LED lights. One of them went out a year and a half into his ownership, and they covered it under warranty.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackz06
Not completely sure if they will cover an LED that just happens to go out due to lifespan of the LED. I'd be rather amazed that one could drive with the headlights on long enough to have one go out in under 4 years. But they will cover the LED if there is a faulty part in it just as any other part of the car.
Not sure how a dealer could determine if an LED went out due to the "lifespan" or a defect. As there is an expectation these should last at least as long as the warranty, it's hoped that Audi would cover them as in the case of the previous post. Does anyone have their warranty book handy? It should specify if LEDs or lighting in general are specifically excluded.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure how a dealer could determine if an LED went out due to the "lifespan" or a defect. As there is an expectation these should last at least as long as the warranty, it's hoped that Audi would cover them as in the case of the previous post. Does anyone have their warranty book handy? It should specify if LEDs or lighting in general are specifically excluded.
I'll try and find the forum post, but my buddy said that it was something discussed in the Q5 forums
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karch22
Hello all. Just ordered my '12 A6 3.0 Prestige, and decided to add the Full LED package. Just wondering who has them and if they like them. It looks like also inside lights are LED too. Any positive or negatives?

Thoughts are appreciated and I am looking forward to joining the Audi community!
I have the LED package with my 2012 and think they are totally worth it on visibility performance. Beyond that, they and all the LED lights in the C7 line are a much lower drain on the battery. I can't say that it makes any noted difference, but suspect that less pull on the electrical system is a good thing.

The interior lights take a little getting used to as they are a little harsher when you look at the lamps, but the interior lighting cast is very cool. Thanks to the LED it is also very adjustible. There is an MMI interface to adjust your car's interior lighting equivalent to a rheostat or dimmers in home lighting systems.

At this point, anything non LED seems very obsolete.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your opinion. Everything I have read points to this being a great option to have. Now is just the waiting game for 3 months!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by the local Audi dealer Friday to look at the A6 and specifically asked the SA about the warranty coverage on the LED headlights. She said they were covered under the 4 year warranty. Normally, I take anything a car salesperson says with a huge grain of salt but she was probably the the most well informed, knowledgeable automotive sales person I have ever encountered in my many years of new car shopping. So I would tend to believe it more than I normally would if it would have been your average, run of the mill car salesman.