Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Funky door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Funky door lock issue

First time experiencing this...
After parking the car and locking the doors as usual with the door handle button (I have advanced key), after a minute or so, I realized I had forgotten something. After walking back to the car, as I tried to open the driver door by pulling on the handle, it wouldn't unlock. I then tried the remote key fob - same thing; no unlock. The other three doors worked fine with the handle and the key fob. After a couple of hours, I returned to the car and the driver door lock was working normally once again. I'm thinking the computer system lost it's mind and after the car went into sleep mode, it self-cleared the problem.

Has anyone run into this issue?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First time experiencing this...
After parking the car and locking the doors as usual with the door handle button (I have advanced key), after a minute or so, I realized I had forgotten something. After walking back to the car, as I tried to open the driver door by pulling on the handle, it wouldn't unlock. I then tried the remote key fob - same thing; no unlock. The other three doors worked fine with the handle and the key fob. After a couple of hours, I returned to the car and the driver door lock was working normally once again. I'm thinking the computer system lost it's mind and after the car went into sleep mode, it self-cleared the problem.

Has anyone run into this issue?
Very interesting. I know the doors are designed to not register an unlock by touching or pulling on the handle after the car is locked for a short time. This is because some people lock their car, then pull the handle to make sure the car is locked. Obviously with cars like this you get a lot of acoustic confirmation the door is locked, but old habits die hard.
This is the only thing I could think of that could be happening. I do believe it is only supposed to do this for a few seconds after you lock the door though, not hours.

Were you messing with MMI or something with just electrical on? As the car will slowly start disengaging stuff that's on when the car is turned off to save the battery from getting drained. Just trying to think of something the car could be doing that is working correctly before getting really worried. All in all though, may have just been a one off quirk. It is Monday after all, maybe your car was just tired...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometime when a person waxes a AUDI,they put to much wax on,and not enough wax off,so ck the button maybe wax build up?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by directorguy7
Very interesting. I know the doors are designed to not register an unlock by touching or pulling on the handle after the car is locked for a short time. This is because some people lock their car, then pull the handle to make sure the car is locked. Obviously with cars like this you get a lot of acoustic confirmation the door is locked, but old habits die hard.
This is the only thing I could think of that could be happening. I do believe it is only supposed to do this for a few seconds after you lock the door though, not hours.

Were you messing with MMI or something with just electrical on? As the car will slowly start disengaging stuff that's on when the car is turned off to save the battery from getting drained. Just trying to think of something the car could be doing that is working correctly before getting really worried. All in all though, may have just been a one off quirk. It is Monday after all, maybe your car was just tired...
The manual states that if the car is "asleep", the first pull of the handle should wake the car up and the second pull unlocks the door. It was only a minute later so systems sleep not a factor. Also, key fob didn't work either, so I suspect the door handle/button was not the issue. And no, I wasn't doing anything with the MMI prior to locking the car.
A mystery. If it does it again, it's back to service. I'm getting too old to climb over the console from the passenger side. (Did that once when some idiot parked too close to the driver's side to open the door).