Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Gear Oil

I am approaching 100k miles WOOHOO!!!

which mean I am planning on doing some maintenance

Plugs, SC belt etc. but the bigger question is transmission and diff oil, read a few other threads but still not clear on what we have on our vehicle (the 3.0T quattro specifically)

Correct me if I am wrong- There is a Torsen box (which is like the haldex) in the middle and the transmission. There is also a front and rear diff correct? which means 3 different fluid box to drain and fill

So the front and rear diff should be GL 75-90w? correct?

What about the Torsen box? does that need servicing?

What is the consensus on transmission fluid?

Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

According to my fluid specifications the transmission holds 4 quarts of ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid, while your doing the transmission the filter and pan gasket should be replaced. The transfer case holds .9 quarts of 75W-90 full synthetic gear oil. Front and rear differentials hold 1 quart of 75W-90 full synthetic gear oil. For the differentials Liqui Moly or BG would be a good choice for the gear oil. Not sure on the location of the Torsen box, my software calls it a transfer case. Let us know how changing the fluids go as I have yet to do it.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by payedmercenary
According to my fluid specifications the transmission holds 4 quarts of ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid, while your doing the transmission the filter and pan gasket should be replaced. The transfer case holds .9 quarts of 75W-90 full synthetic gear oil. Front and rear differentials hold 1 quart of 75W-90 full synthetic gear oil. For the differentials Liqui Moly or BG would be a good choice for the gear oil. Not sure on the location of the Torsen box, my software calls it a transfer case. Let us know how changing the fluids go as I have yet to do it.
thanks! yes is the transfer case (aka the Torsen box). In my old MK1 TT the haldex fluid is replaced every 20k miles. I have done some research on our Gen 6 (i think) Torsen box.....but havent found anything regarding serving them....obviously Audi thinks that is a "lifetime" oil (just like the tranny fluid)

Old 11-07-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I work at a European vehicle repair shop and the "lifetime" fluid scam has caused tons of differentials and transfer cases to grenade themselves. Mostly we see these issues on BMW's but we still see a fair amount of Audi's with these issues. We recommend servicing all the gear boxes every 60,000 miles. With our customers that do the services we haven't seen them have any issues.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I work at a European vehicle repair shop and the "lifetime" fluid scam has caused tons of differentials and transfer cases to grenade themselves. Mostly we see these issues on BMW's but we still see a fair amount of Audi's with these issues. We recommend servicing all the gear boxes every 60,000 miles. With our customers that do the services we haven't seen them have any issues.
Thanks for that input it is truly appreciated!!!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

agreed, any inputs on how or can the torsen fluid can be drained and replaced?