Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Glad I got my A6 instead of waiting for the new E-350!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Holy Sh!#*****!! I thought they screwed the pooch with the new SL design.... but damn!!!

There must be lead contamination in the water in Stuttgart.
That car if Fugly, "Bob's your uncle" as the Brit's say
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
hey, I am one of the oldest posters on this site - I take offense! I don't want that thing in my garage! lol
bob - Not sure how old you are but I may have you beat (64 going on 35); age is like a fine wine - wiser and cooler . However, being a member of the old fart club, I too disagree; I would not want that thing in my possession. And just when I thought only BMW could screw up a German luxury brand design.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Gotcha! 70 great years here (well, at least two or three of them were OK)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Gotcha! 70 great years here (well, at least two or three of them were OK)
Yes you did, but I'm not too far behind you. .Who says old guys like us can't be car nuts and would be happy with living room couches on wheels?

Any A6 owners around here older than us?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My first Audi was a new 1978 Audi 5000 (5-cylinder engine, 3-speed AT). That car was such a lemon that I swore off Audi's until my 2006 A4. Now I like them again.
I did really like the 1978 (although I wish my wife had not insisted on the AT) but everything broke. In the first 9 months they: replaced the AT; replaced the entire front suspension; replaced the brakes; replaced the rear shocks; and oh - yes, replaced the engine!! All recalls under warranty. I complained one time to the service manager (he was the husband of a secretary in my office) and he said that quality was standing behind your car and fixing it. I replied that quality was making a car that didn’t need to be basically rebuilt by the dealer in its first year. He hated that.
Later the woman in my office (after the guy died of a heart attack) told me that he had said to her after that encounter “What a ***** that Bob is...” I loved it.
Then, when I complained about road noise one time they sprayed heavy black tar-like undercoating all over (without telling me or asking me). The weep holes at the bottom of the doors were sprayed over and there were blotches of the stuff on the two front seats. I bitched and they "fixed it" including cleaning the front seat with kerosene so the nap on the velour was completely gone, the color bleached from beige to near-white and the interior of the car smelled like kerosene. So, they got new seat covers from the factory and had them installed – but they were a darker almost-brown color and never matched the rears.
I traded the car in on a leftover but new 1967 AMC/Rambler Rebel – a stripped model with a huge V-8 and no AC. That car had zero mechanical issues and I blew the competition away for a few years in several SCCA and other rally’s and parking lot gymkhanas after installing an aftermarket rear sway bar and HD shocks. Needless to say the newer Audi’s I have had recently are much better, but the sting of that 1978 5000 (lovely to look at though) put me off on the brand for years.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be fun to see the demographics of who is buying the A6. I would bet that the center of the bell curve is somewhere well north of 40.

I found the following 2010 analysis that breaks it down at a brand level. The average age for Audi is 49, and I'm certain that the A4 is the biggest selling car in units. I would bet the average age for the A4 is in the late 20's or early 30s, so the A6 may well be in the late 50s or early 60s.

What is the age that is considered "old man"? All I know is that is a moving number, and it gets bigger with each passing year.

Reference is Business Week: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8023174411.htm
Cadillac

Average Age of Owner: 62
Median Income: $129,656
4-Year College Degree: 21.90%
BMW

Average Age of Owner: 49
Median Income: $1698,289
4-Year College Degree: 29.07%
Lexus

Average Age of Owner: 56
Median Income: $141,745
4-Year College Degree: 26.45%
Mercedes-Benz

Average Age of Owner: 53
Median Income: $174,558
4-Year College Degree: 27.74%
Audi

Average Age of Owner: 49
Median Income: $183,601
4-Year College Degree: 31.66%
Lincoln

Average Age of Owner: 62
Median Income: $113,782
4-Year College Degree: 25.47%
Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

MileHIghJC wrote: "What is the age that is considered "old man"?

For me it depends on how I feel when I wake up each morning, but generally speaking I think anything north of 55 is old. Mind you, saying one is old is not sayiong one is half dead or feeble as some infer/imply. Some of the younger folks (30'S OR 40'S) that I deal with say "Don't put yourself down like that" when I say I am the oldest in the group. I am not in any way putting myself down when I admit to being senior, but their comment tells me a lot about their feelings regarding older folks.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

For me it depends on how I feel when I wake up each morning, but generally speaking I think anything north of 55 is old. Mind you, saying one is old is not sayiong one is half dead or feeble as some infer/imply. Some of the younger folks (30'S OR 40'S) that I deal with say "Don't put yourself down like that" when I say I am the oldest in the group. I am not in any way putting myself down when I admit to being senior, but their comment tells me a lot about their feelings regarding older folks.
I agree! Its cliche, but I firmly believe that you are as old as you think you are. Its why I constantly refer to myself as being 22 (its not just a transient joke, I say it ALL the time, as much to convince me as anyone else). In my professional life, I often am one of the oldest guys in the room, and the guy with the most years of service (will be 30 years in June). But I am still an adrenalin junkie - I like to ski fast, drive well, etc. It is nice however to be at a point in life where I can see the end of the college tuition bills for 4 kids (< 4 years away), but still have enough loose change to enjoy a fine craft beer or a single malt scotch once in a while.

70 and driving a fine car like the A6? You are not old. Not even close, but you do have good taste!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
70 and driving a fine car like the A6? You are not old. Not even close, but you do have good taste!
How about Audi giving us seniors 5% off with our AARP cards?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
It is nice however to be at a point in life where I can see the end of the college tuition bills for 4 kids (< 4 years away), but still have enough loose change to enjoy a fine craft beer or a single malt scotch once in a while.
Ah, the simple pleasures of life. Totally agree.

Quick Reply: Glad I got my A6 instead of waiting for the new E-350!