Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Google Earth Navigation Maps

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am pretty sure you dont get Google Earth after the subscription expires and the graphics is much too large of a file for any SD card or the Juke box. Google Earth is a cool toy at first but I hardly use it now.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by organizedchaos
I'm sorry, I must have not asked the question clearly. What I meant was, after the AudiConnect trial expires, (and assuming I'm not using any alternative means of internet connectivity such as TrueSim) will the Google Maps Navigation views still be there? Or does it switch back to the native navigation maps. For example, suppose I have driven in my neighborhood and viewed it on Google Earth Nav view, does that get stored and come up later, even if I'm not connected to the internet via AudiConnect? Is there anyway to download the (Google Earth view) maps on an SD card prior to the Audiconnect trial expiring? I still have pretty much a 6 months trial, but I'm sure it goes by quick, that's why I'm wondering. Did anybody who let their subscription trial expire comment on this? Do you still get Google Earth views?
Whatever Google Earth view was downloaded prior to your subscription expiring, it's kept on cache. So you would continue to see Google Earth overlays for places you've driven over.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
Whatever Google Earth view was downloaded prior to your subscription expiring, it's kept on cache. So you would continue to see Google Earth overlays for places you've driven over.
time to drive everywhere then! lol
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xradman
I have tested this by disconnecting the data connection, and yes, the Google Earth data is stored and continues to appear. Of course, it won't update any changes to the google earth maps or display new areas you may drive in after the data service expires. I have occasionally found the Google Earth images helpful when trying to find an address by zooming in and looking at the image, and the online destinations info is helpful; but, for me, not worth $30 a month.