Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Google Send To Car feature restored to new online Maps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have used:
PC with Classic
PC with new Google maps.
IPhone with MMI connect app

My IPad is a no go. It cannot find the MMI Connect app and Safari knowingly will not connect to MyAudi.

Has anyone used an Ipad?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by TJKs '02 2.7T
I just tried using the "Maps" app on my Google Nexus and my Galaxy S3. Can't seem to figure out how to send to my car. Sad to think that a Google device wouldn't work while the Apple device would. Hopefully I am just missing something.

No MMI Connect in Google Play store either. I did find an App called "Send To Car" that brings the functionality to Android. Will try this later today to see if it is in my car.
Send To Car is only available if you use the desktop version of Google Maps. For some reason, Google doesn't think this is a useful feature for the mobile versions of Google Maps (mobile website or native apps). I guess they think you should be using your phone for turn-by-turn navigation if you are on the go instead of sending the destination to your car.

As for the MMI Connect app, the Android version currently is not officially available for download in the USA. No idea why, but several people have reported that they can't download it. I don't have an Android phone, but I understand there are services that let you pretend to be in a different country, so you can do the initial download of the app. Once it's on your phone it will continue to update.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
I have used:
PC with Classic
PC with new Google maps.
IPhone with MMI connect app

My IPad is a no go. It cannot find the MMI Connect app and Safari knowingly will not connect to MyAudi.

Has anyone used an Ipad?
All fixed, I had to Google the app, the store could not find it.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJKs '02 2.7T
I did find an App called "Send To Car" that brings the functionality to Android. Will try this later today to see if it is in my car.
As noted above, Send To Car works very well.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not affiliated at all with the app... I'm using "send to car" on Android successfully and it's really easy. Search address on phone, tap address and share to the send to car app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar
Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so I still have not been able to figure this out. Can someone help me please? I have watched the video and I just do not have the options that it mentions.
I am using win7 with IE 11 and to bring up google maps, I usually just go to google and hit the app button (looks like a rubiks cube) and choose maps.
I have hit everything on the screen and I don't see any "send to car" function anywhere, nor have I ever seen anything that would tell google a username/password for my car or which one it is...

Can someone please explain what I have missed?
I have gotten the android "send to car" app to work without any issues, but I have never figured out how to do it from my desktop.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Go here and add your car's information. After that the Send to Car link should show up when you search for destinations. https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
Old 05-30-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Go here and add your car's information. After that the Send to Car link should show up when you search for destinations. https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
Thank You! That worked!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now I am confused. I have the Send to Car in Google Maps, my car associated (used the 8 digit PIN from myAudi), selected the address in Google Maps, clicked on send to car and it says at the top of the screen "Your destination has been sent.". Seems like all is working.

Go to the car, Destination, Online places and nothing in the directory. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My home PC was sending to car just fine with a PIN established last December. Now I have the apps on an Iphone and an Ipad + my work PC. When I configured the last 3 devices it gave me a new PIN and I put it in my car after having done the Directory reset. Now the last 3 devices work fine but my home PC does not, it says send to car but it never shows up.

My understanding is that the Google interface has your name (typically E Mail address) and a password. This allows the data to be sent to the Audi server.
When you access the Audi server from your car it sees the transmission data that includes a VIN and a PIN.

If my understanding is correct then I am not sure why my previously working home PC now does not work. The PC does not use the PIN, it only gives you the PIN to be used in your car.

Any ideas please?

Quick Reply: Google Send To Car feature restored to new online Maps?