Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Harsh ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget A6 comes with AUDI DRIVE SELECT.... )
Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bimmers2
Don't forget A6 comes with AUDI DRIVE SELECT.... )
Which in the USA has no effect on the ride.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it a tad harsh, with 20's , s-line suspension (20mm lower) + sports (another 10mm lower).

But then my wife doesn't mind as she came from a q7 that was lowered by 45mm , so that was fairly harsh too.

Road noise is definitely greater , but we chose the double glazing at the front, so that helps a bit.

Jet
Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Helmar
I'm strongly considering the A6 when I replace my Lexus next year.

I found the following at this site:

"The Audi's lack of agility would be understandable if it rode like a Lexus around town, but it's just the opposite. Rough highways are miserable, as the Audi crashes and hops over every crack and ripple in the pavement. It's hard to imagine there's an even more aggressively tuned RS6 on the horizon, as this example of the A6 couldn't ride much worse."

Is this true? Is the A6 ride that harsh?

HBH
I don't think the Audi should be compared with the Lexus/Mercedes to begin with. That said the 2012 Audi A6 is extremely smooth without compromising on agility. The Mercedes or the lexus may be more smoother but they are horrible to drive with absolutely Zero personality. Personally I think the A6 is the best AWD that is available in the market.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anandhan_subbiah
I don't think the Audi should be compared with the Lexus/Mercedes to begin with. That said the 2012 Audi A6 is extremely smooth without compromising on agility. The Mercedes or the lexus may be more smoother but they are horrible to drive with absolutely Zero personality. Personally I think the A6 is the best AWD that is available in the market.
Also I am not sure as to why you are looking at at 2008 model. Check out my website for the 2012 Audi A6 : http://anandhansubbiah.com/blog/2012...eviews-videos/
Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by anandhan_subbiah
... they are horrible to drive with absolutely Zero personality....
I appreciate all of the responses and look forward to a test drive so I can see for myself.

After 5 years driving my current LS600hL, I disagree with the quoted comment though, which are more common in the BMW forums.

If I were to regularly drive my Lexus on the track, or drive at unsafe speeds on mountain roads, or frequently enounter drastic emergency conditions, I might agree.

However, on all of the roads that I drive on, normal roads and highways, the ride in my Lexus is wonderful, very quiet, very smooth, and completely predictable. I did encounter an emergency condition a while ago and was able to maneuver through it with aplomb.

Certainly stiffer suspension allows faster cornering, but I don't care about that, especially if I have to put up with the stiff suspension all of the time.

Also, with the air suspension, I can change the ride from smooth, to firm, although I never do.

I've driven my Lexus across country, and found the ride completely enjoyable and engaging (when I WANTED to be engaged).

Hopefully, I'll find the A6 I test drive nearly as smooth and quiet. I'm ready to downsize from my Lexus LS.

HBH
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have owned an LS, many BMWs and I am currently driving an SLK and the new 2012 A6 so I think I am qualified to comment on the cars here!

The new A6 has a very smooth ride and it is currently the best compromise between ride comfort and sportiness in mid size sedan/saloon without being overtly sporty. the worst thing about it is the uncommunicative steering.

the LS is very smooth but surprisingly fun to drive for such a big car! It is very refined but at the same time rewarding when you are pushing the car.

Mercedes has its reputation on ride quality but apart from some sporty models (SLK, SL and AMG), they are uninvolving to drive. steering is numb.

I agree that Mercedes is no fun to drive (except some models) but the comment on the LS is totally unjustified !
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Helmar,
The A6 will not ride as smooth as the LS, but it is sportier than the LS. Its a difference class of car, the LS competes with the A8, not the A6. The A6 compete with the GS350, which I have owned in the pass. I traded in my 08 GS350 for my 08 A6 and the A6 was smoother than the GS and it handled better as well. The GS had runflats which didnt help. The 2012 A6 which I own now handles and rides much better than the 08 A6. If handle is not a priority for you, maybe a E350 is a better choice.
The steering on the A6 is not bad at all, its a bit light in parking lot speed, which I like, who wants to Wrestle with the steering going 5 MPH. The steering overall is very accurate and it holds a straight line very well. Once you hit highway speed, it tighten up fast. The steering feel overall is better than the LS.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Helmar
I appreciate all of the responses and look forward to a test drive so I can see for myself.

After 5 years driving my current LS600hL, I disagree with the quoted comment though, which are more common in the BMW forums.

If I were to regularly drive my Lexus on the track, or drive at unsafe speeds on mountain roads, or frequently enounter drastic emergency conditions, I might agree.

However, on all of the roads that I drive on, normal roads and highways, the ride in my Lexus is wonderful, very quiet, very smooth, and completely predictable. I did encounter an emergency condition a while ago and was able to maneuver through it with aplomb.

Certainly stiffer suspension allows faster cornering, but I don't care about that, especially if I have to put up with the stiff suspension all of the time.

Also, with the air suspension, I can change the ride from smooth, to firm, although I never do.

I've driven my Lexus across country, and found the ride completely enjoyable and engaging (when I WANTED to be engaged).

Hopefully, I'll find the A6 I test drive nearly as smooth and quiet. I'm ready to downsize from my Lexus LS.

HBH
have to disagree with you buddy. The A6 is miles apart when you compare it with the GS , I have never driven the LS but you should really compare it with the A8 which is another incredible car. The BMW's and the Audi's are popular for thier driver engagement and like I said you cannot really compare them with a mercedes or a lexus. To be honest BMW is slightly ahead on that aspect but not by much. I really wish the Audi's steering wheel could provide more feedback to the driver but again at higher speeds the steering does firm up.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

As the crude '60's saying goes, "different strokes for different folks".

[QUOTE=anandhan_subbiah... The BMW's and the Audi's are popular for thier driver engagement..[/QUOTE]

1. I love the ride and handling of my LS, and as I said earlier, I'm as engaged as I choose to be.

[QUOTE=anandhan_subbiah... compare it with the GS..[/QUOTE]

2. You can't equate a Lexus LS to a Lexus GS. Although both are manufactured by Lexus, they are vastly different in ride and handling charastistics.

[QUOTE=anandhan_subbiah... I have never driven the LS..[/QUOTE]

3. Never having driven an LS, you can't really comment on it's ride characteristics. I've driven an A8 (albiet several years ago) and found the LS quieter, and smoother, both factors of prime importance to me. I couldn't comment on it's handling characteristics, as I didn't push the car.

Interestingly, I test drove a Maserati Quattroporte a year ago and LOVED IT! Even though I really like the quiet of the Lexus, the testosterone infused roar of the Maserati under power was intoxicating. If they come out with an AWD version (I live in Maine), I might consider it.

HBH

Quick Reply: Harsh ride