Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Has anyone picked up a 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 2.0T Frontrak CVT Quick Review

Well...the verdict is in...its not as bad as I feared...

To set the stage for a fair comparison, we currently have a 2010 A4 2.0 Frontrak with the CVT transmission and had worried about what this nearly identical powertrain would feel like in a larger (heavier) car. It feels remarkably similar to our A4 in both its good and bad qualities. The GOOD: plenty of power for most uses, especially as a commuter car and the promise of even better mileage than the lighter A4 (33 vs. 30 on the highway). The BAD: That same unnatural feel of the CVT transmission in most driving situations. This effect is most noticed from 0 mph if you hit the gas hard. There is a weird pause while the car seems to be thinking of the best way to turn the power on. Our A4 does this, the new A6 does this too. I've learned to modify how to drive our current car to minimize this experience and it makes it at least manageable in these situations. To be fair, the sport package equipped car helps (with its sport suspension tuning, better steering wheel, better seats, and paddle shifters) on the A4 and this should be no different in the A6. In the A4, Sport Package totally transforms the CVT/Frontrak experience from my experience. As soon as our dealer gets an A6 with the sport package we will verify this as well but we are pretty happy to order one at this point hoping it is. The non-sport A6 we drove tonight was pretty nice and at the significantly lower price point we are pretty excited about it.

In the end, it may not be the car for everyone, but for us, it fits the bill of having an amazingly nice car at for its pricepoint (and satisfactorily high level of efficiency) anyone could hope for. The new A6 is awesome! We look forward to ours arriving in the next couple of months!

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great write up! I was considering one but ended up with a 3.0. Sounds like you guys found your car, be sure to keep us updated.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A paddle shifter in a CVT is like having ventilated seats in the North Pole
Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Newie to Audi and this forum Came from BMW. Picked up a 2012 A6 2.0 CVT silver metalic w/ black int 5 days ago. Bought it sight unseen as there were no 2.0 A6s in stock in NorCal to test drive. I figure it wouldn't be too bad since its 400 lbs lighter than an a4 avant and that drove just fine. Had the stigma of a 4cycl in a big car and read all the horror stories about the CVT but planning to only keep it for 3-4 yrs which is within the mfg warranty. Wife loves the A6 avant and we're hoping it come stateside when were ready to let this one go. Went with this car first and foremost the good safety ratings it received, MPG of the 2.0T, and fell in love with Audi interior especially this A6. Didn't need the power as I have the BMW and a GTR on order for that. First impression is the 2.0 is not a problem with daily driving and commuting. The low end torque solved that problem. So far the CVT has been fine. Haven't really noticed the rubberband feel but also haven't mashed the throttle either. Fit and finish is superb. Steering and handling is a bit too numb for my taste but the dynamic mode makes it a lot better. Considering going to 19" or 20"s from the prestige model if I can find some. Overall, have been pretty happy with it for our purposes. Just saw the 2012 528 is 260hp, rwd, and 8 sp trans so theres going to be some competition in this segment granted its 5K more out the gate. Hope this cars turn out to be a nice niche for Audi and the reliability of the trans holds up. Cheers...
Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just picked one up a few days ago. First impression is the steering and handling a little numb vs. my BMW. Power is enough for my commuting purposes. CVT has been fine, it shifts like butta and getting used to not feeling the shift points. It does have preset if you go manual shift mode which feels just like a gear trannny. Haven't driven it super aggressively as its in the break in period. Fit and finish is great. And fits the mid size sedan and 40-50k nicely. We'll see about the CVT reliability. Cheers...

Originally Posted by angrypenguin
Just out of curiosity, has anyone picked up the 2.0T CVT version of the A6? I know there's been a lot of debate here on whether it's "right" to put a 4 cyl turbo, but to me I think it fits the market perfectly for people who want the luxury, tech, and size of the A6 but don't need the extra HP. Also, it fills the perfect 43-49k hole for those who want something more than an A4/C class/3 series but don't have quite enough to move up to the 55k range.

I'm curious as to some "real world" driving experiences with the 2.0T.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We just ordered one as well: 2.0L, Quartz Gray/Nougat Brown/Natural Ash Trim, Prem +, Audi Assist, 18" Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Black Headliner...amazingly beautiful car for just over $51,000 out the door (incld tax, DMV, etc...). It is for the wife but I am looking forward to it being in the garage as well!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Visual76
Just saw the 2012 528 is 260hp, rwd, and 8 sp trans so theres going to be some competition in this segment granted its 5K more out the gate.
The US version of the BMW 528i 4cyl twin turbo has only 240HP, the same as the 2011 6 cyl, but the torque is 260 ft/lb. The 0-60 time is very impressive at 6.2 sec according to BMW.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have been deliberating and deliberating about purchasing the 2.0 - and the CVT has just about killed it for me. Since I really don't want to spend in the mid50s and don't really need 4-wheel drive where I live and would like to get better than 26-28 MPG - the 3.0 is becoming less of an option. I told my wife that we would wait this out and see if Audi changes the transmission in the 2.0 for 2013. Meanwhile, I (and perhaps many others) might have another option: the completely revised 2012 BMW 328i will be released in a month - and it's getting great reviews with its 2.0 turbo and 8-speed transmission - it's grown about three or four inches and basically you get a not fully grown 528 for low 40s. It's a little smaller than what I would want - but I am definitely going to strongly consider it.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey everybody I'm new here. I have a 2001 A4 1.8t with a blown motor if there's anyone looking for that style body contact me for more details.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I still have interest in the 2.0 but still fearful of the CVT transmission. For those who may have just purchased one or those who have been driving one for awhile: could you give me your driving impressions and whether if you had it to do over again if you would still purchase the 2.0 or upgrade to the 3.0?

For those that are longtime Audi owners: is my fear of buying the 2.0 with the CVT justified or have past problems been corrected? I plan on keeping the car for six to eight years and have heard horror stories of this transmission causing a myriad of problems after longterm use.