Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Heads up Display-Polarized Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up Display-Polarized Sunglasses?

My understanding is the heads up display is essentially useless if you have polarized sunglasses. If that is true my understanding is that BMW's version works with them but Audi's does not. Seems to be a pretty dumb decision to not account for that since most sunglasses are now polarized. Based on that I scrapped the Innovation package as that was the feature that really caught my eye, the night vision is just a gimmick but having the essentials on a heads up display was a good idea but if it turns out that its really only good in the dark if you wear sunglasses during the day that seems like a major drop the ball moment on a $80k car.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
My understanding is the heads up display is essentially useless if you have polarized sunglasses. If that is true my understanding is that BMW's version works with them but Audi's does not. Seems to be a pretty dumb decision to not account for that since most sunglasses are now polarized. Based on that I scrapped the Innovation package as that was the feature that really caught my eye, the night vision is just a gimmick but having the essentials on a heads up display was a good idea but if it turns out that its really only good in the dark if you wear sunglasses during the day that seems like a major drop the ball moment on a $80k car.
I can see it but it is very dim. Almost not able to see it in the right light, but the polarized lenses do effect it compared to unpolarized
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
I think you should try before judging. I use the night vision daily. Not a gimmic in any sense of the imagination. If you'd like, I'll show you the roads I drive on, no lighting... Night vision comes quite handy.

I just gave away my Revo sunglasses to my brother (Amazing polarization and quality) because of the Heads up display. The HUD comes in handy enough that I never look down at the speedometer.

Ways to counter act the polarization is to make the HUD as high as possible and try to sit lower if possible. I found a sweet spot that my raybands now just change the color of the HUD rather than kill it. The Revos were too good though, never was able to counter act them.

Brightness of the HUD is also adjustable.

I really think you should reconsider.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the HUD; my solution was to get a pair of good, non-polarized glasses. It does take a bit of time to get used to seeing glare while driving (the whole point of polarized lanses, after all...). I wish Audi had addressed the polarized issue, but it was something I was willing to work around of.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikem33
I like the HUD; my solution was to get a pair of good, non-polarized glasses. It does take a bit of time to get used to seeing glare while driving (the whole point of polarized lanses, after all...). I wish Audi had addressed the polarized issue, but it was something I was willing to work around of.
Is it possible to through a sheet of plastic over the HUD display to counteract the polarization?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 387 Likes on 348 Posts

Serengeti offers a "drivers" series of un-polarized glasses. I bought them and found they do help a bit viewing the dashboard displays, etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always preferred non-polarized driving lenses anyways, due to the distortions seen in windshields, etc. The new Transitions Vantage lenses may be an option as well...polarized outside and non-polarized inside. I am not sure what percentage of sunlight will reach them driving...I will be getting mine in a few weeks.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had to pull out my old revo sunglasses to see if the polarized glass make it difficult with the heads up display. It does make it a but blurry but if you sit low like someone previously mentioned it helps.

I asked my brother about his new BMW F30 with the HUD. He also has the same problem but if he tries to slouch down he can't see the bottom half of his display at all. The BWM HUD has a terrible viewing angle compared to the Audi C7.

So it seems they also haven't really addressed this issue either.

I would recommend Prada sunglasses that is dark on top and fades nicely to a more clear lense on the bottom. They are really great for driving. Going through tunnels and dusk transaction is really great. No need to pull te glasses down to the tip of your nose and look up like a grandpa.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My polarized oakleys mess with th HUD but my non polarized oaks are now my daily wearer
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybanks9
I can see it but it is very dim. Almost not able to see it in the right light, but the polarized lenses do effect it compared to unpolarized
Can't speak for my C7 (or for HUD) but with my C6 I had to return my polarised sunglasses tot he shop as it was impossible to see the navigation screen or dash display with them on. Audi (and others) polarise the display screens so they can still be seen in bright sunlight

Quick Reply: Heads up Display-Polarized Sunglasses?