Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

HELP with sim card

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with sim card

Hello, i am trying to get this sim card to work with a hot spot portable box, it must be possible, since i am a hotspot via sprint owner, i dont mind switching, but i want to be able to take the hotspot with me so i dont have to pay for two services, can i get the car to use/see my sprint hotspot which is already active, or can i activate the car and use and att and or tmobile hotspot device and take it with me when not in the car? thank you for any and all help
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

The MMI will not tether to any device, the only option is to use a t-mobile (3G) or ATT (2G only) sim in the MMI and have a t-mobile or ATT hotspot devices that works with the same sim and that you can use when not in the car. I have a ATT USB modem that I take the sim card out when not in use and put it in my MMI for Google maps.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
The MMI will not tether to any device, the only option is to use a t-mobile (3G) or ATT (2G only) sim in the MMI and have a t-mobile or ATT hotspot devices that works with the same sim and that you can use when not in the car. I have a ATT USB modem that I take the sim card out when not in use and put it in my MMI for Google maps.
i actually went to my local t mobile and we put my card into a hot spot and it didnt work?? any reason? is there a certain model? or has to be older unit? or am i better off with a 2g att? if so, am i limited to only 2g or 3g with my hotspot when not in the car? thank you for any and all help
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think the Audi t-mobile SIM will work in any normal t-mobile hotspot because it only supports the Audi APN m2m.t-mobile.com while t-mobile hotspots should be using epc.tmobile.com or fast.tmobile.com.

t-mobile SIMs should work in the MMI though if the MMI is configured for epc.tmobile.com or fast.tmobile.com.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2849240

If you have a t-mobile SIM and a t-mobile 4G/LTE hotspot then you should get 4G/LTE with the hotspot and 3G with the MMI.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATT 2G? Yuck. I get why they picked t-mobile, but would have been nice for 4G and also a ATT 3G/HPSA option as well. I suspect ATT has far better coverage than t-mobile.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They picked t-mobile because the MMI hardware supports the frequencies used in most parts of the world and that t-mobile uses in the US. No reason why they couldn't have developed a MMI that supports the US AT&T frequencies, it was just cheaper for Audi...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the Audi t-mobile SIM will work in any normal t-mobile hotspot because it only supports the Audi APN m2m.t-mobile.com while t-mobile hotspots should be using epc.tmobile.com or fast.t-mobile.com.

t-mobile SIMs should work in the MMI though if the MMI is configured for epc.tmobile.com or fast.t-mobile.com.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2849240

If you have a t-mobile SIM and a t-mobile 4G/LTE hotspot then you should get 4G/LTE with the hotspot and 3G with the MMI.
Are you sure the tmobile sim will work with LTE's APN fast.t-mobile.com in the MMI? I know the regular tmobile SIM card will work in the MMI with either m2m and epc, but I do not know about fast

Last edited by feralc; 11-22-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not sure, all I'm pretty sure about is that the Audi SIM doesn't work in a device that is hard coded to use epc or fast.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure, all I'm pretty sure about is that the Audi SIM doesn't work in a device that is hard coded to use epc or fast.
True, Audi connect SIM card only works with m2m.t-mobile.com
I am curious if a regular T mobile SIM card will work with fast.t-mobile.com in the MMI (it does work with either epc and m2m) AND if the speed will be faster.

Last edited by feralc; 11-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
True, Audi connect SIM card only works with m2m.t-mobile.com
I am curious if a regular T mobile SIM card will work with fast.tmobile.com in the MMI (it does wotk with either epc and m2m) AND if the speed will be faster.
Since the hardware in the Audi is limited to 3G, I'm not sure how it could be faster.

Quick Reply: HELP with sim card