Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

hit pothole,got bubble, replaced tires. alignment needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit pothole,got bubble, replaced tires. alignment needed?

I don't feel anything wrong with the tires now. No pulling, no vibration.

However for the sake of preventative maintenance, should I go straight to a dealer or a really good shop for an alignment?

How is our car prone to misalignment after pothole encounter?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

How was your tire wear prior to the mishap? It takes a lot to knock these cars out of align.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
How was your tire wear prior to the mishap? It takes a lot to knock these cars out of align.
It was ok. I'll call the tire shop to confirm. I hit the pothole slow at 10mph.

That's good news!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by q5q7
It was ok. I'll call the tire shop to confirm. I hit the pothole slow at 10mph.
If everyone who has hit a pothole or bump at 10mph or more went in for a wheel alignment each time it happened, the guys doing wheel alignments would be mulch-millionaires
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
If everyone who has hit a pothole or bump at 10mph or more went in for a wheel alignment each time it happened, the guys doing wheel alignments would be mulch-millionaires
called shop and requested the owner to look at my old tires. He doesn't see abnormal wears, there were about 50% tread left. So I think I should be Ok. Thank you guys.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't feel anything wrong with the tires now. No pulling, no vibration.

However for the sake of preventative maintenance, should I go straight to a dealer or a really good shop for an alignment?

How is our car prone to misalignment after pothole encounter?
Check out my thread and corresponding pic...
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=pothole

I hit a major pothole than not only dented my wheel but cracked it as well..It was about 2 feet deep I would say. Luckily my tire didn't pop and only have minor bulging, may even be due to the lack of sidewall support for the tire.

Either way I was worried I would need a realignment and I didn't...
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Decim8r
Check out my thread and corresponding pic...
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=pothole

I hit a major pothole than not only dented my wheel but cracked it as well..It was about 2 feet deep I would say. Luckily my tire didn't pop and only have minor bulging, may even be due to the lack of sidewall support for the tire.

Either way I was worried I would need a realignment and I didn't...
your damage and impact speed seems much bigger than mine. I only got a mild bulge on my left front. How's your tread wear now? no vibration/pulling etc?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

your damage and impact speed seems much bigger than mine. I only got a mild bulge on my left front. How's your tread wear now? no vibration/pulling etc?
I don't have any issues, the mechanic that swapped out my rim said it balanced just fine on the road force machine.

It drives laser straight, no noticeable issues with the new rim on...

These cars are rock solid...
Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your remaining tires only have 50% of their tread left, and if you don't notice any pulling, etc., then I'd say absolutely do not spend money on an alignment now and just wait until you get new tires installed.

If you can't sleep at night worrying that something might be wrong, then take the car to some shop that gives free alignment checks and see what they say. WARNING: take a copy of your alignment specs with you to the shop to compare them with what the grease monkey says the specs should be, because invariably those guys put the car model into the computer wrong and come up with some wacky result.

Also, a lot of dealers have a "toe machine" in the driveway or service area that you just drive over to find out if your toe is off. I've found that most of the time if you go inside and ask nicely, they will be happy to let you drive over the toe machine plates and will generate a one-page printout for you.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spoon2000
If your remaining tires only have 50% of their tread left, and if you don't notice any pulling, etc., then I'd say absolutely do not spend money on an alignment now and just wait until you get new tires installed.

If you can't sleep at night worrying that something might be wrong, then take the car to some shop that gives free alignment checks and see what they say. WARNING: take a copy of your alignment specs with you to the shop to compare them with what the grease monkey says the specs should be, because invariably those guys put the car model into the computer wrong and come up with some wacky result.

Also, a lot of dealers have a "toe machine" in the driveway or service area that you just drive over to find out if your toe is off. I've found that most of the time if you go inside and ask nicely, they will be happy to let you drive over the toe machine plates and will generate a one-page printout for you.
good advice. The tires with 50% tread left have already been replaced with a new set because one of the old tires had a bubble on the sidewall.