Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How much should new wheels and tires cost? - 2016 Audi A6 3.0 TDI in Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am always a bit surprised to hear these comments as I have the TDI Prestige S-Line with the shorter stiffer springs and 19" wheels and I don't find the ride harsh at all. Do you have the 20" wheels?

Used wheels are the most frequently traded used part commodity in the car world! You can find sets of used wheels anywhere for way under $1000 per set. Especially the smaller diameter wheels.

I have bought two sets of OEM Audi wheels for $500 each off the 5x112 wheels group on Facebook.

Searchtempest.com will scour all the Craigslist sites in your area (or wherever you specify).

car-part.com is another great source.

Ebay will also have tons of options for used OEM wheels.

The dealer charges factory list prices for OEM parts - that's why they cost so much.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OE wheels are a myth. None of the major car makers make their own wheels, no more than they make their own paint or light bulbs or tires or speakers. Often times you will actually see the same wheels on different car makes with the only difference being the center cap that sports the car's logo. The reason the wheels are so expensive from the dealership is because they figure most people will be buying one wheel to replace a damaged one so they price them just high enough that it will be cheaper to buy one replacement than replace all four with a new aftermarket set. They rarely count on anyone buying a set of four.

High quality aftermarket wheels can be as good or better than those supplied by the car manufacturer, just do a little homework and find what you like the looks of. Many aftermarket wheels look exactly like the OE ones because they are the same. I believe Ronal makes most wheels for Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

Last edited by nhdoc; 05-07-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nhdoc
OE wheels are a myth. None of the major car makers make their own wheels, no more than they make their own paint or light bulbs or tires or speakers. Often times you will actually see the same wheels on different car makes with the only difference being the center cap that sports the car's logo. The reason the wheels are so expensive from the dealership is because they figure most people will be buying one wheel to replace a damaged one so they price them just high enough that it will be cheaper to buy one replacement than replace all four with a new aftermarket set. They rarely count on anyone buying a set of four.

High quality aftermarket wheels can be as good or better than those supplied by the car manufacturer, just do a little homework and find what you like the looks of. Many aftermarket wheels look exactly like the OE ones because they are the same. I believe Ronal makes most wheels for Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
First, original equipment does not mean the car company produced the item. It means the original equipment fitted to the car. As you indicated car companies almost always make the body, usually the engine and sometimes the transmission. Almost everything else ( with rare exceptions ) is supplied by original equipment suppliers. Original equipment wheels are often superior to aftermarket wheels and are often forged resulting in a somewhat stronger and a bit heavier wheel. Tire Rack and others offer wheel and tire packages that can be a good value. Most often, the wheels are low pressure cast or pressure cast and not forged. Depending on the design cast wheels can be a bit lighter but can crack more easily.

The same supplier of any part can make one quality for one car manufacturer and a different quality for another, depending on how much they want to pay. So, one cannot assume that a supplier always produces the same quality. The same supplier makes the excellent seats found in a Porsche and the awful seats normally found in a Corvette.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 159 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
First, original equipment does not mean the car company produced the item. It means the original equipment fitted to the car. As you indicated car companies almost always make the body, usually the engine and sometimes the transmission. Almost everything else ( with rare exceptions ) is supplied by original equipment suppliers. Original equipment wheels are often superior to aftermarket wheels and are often forged resulting in a somewhat stronger and a bit heavier wheel. Tire Rack and others offer wheel and tire packages that can be a good value. Most often, the wheels are low pressure cast or pressure cast and not forged. Depending on the design cast wheels can be a bit lighter but can crack more easily.

The same supplier of any part can make one quality for one car manufacturer and a different quality for another, depending on how much they want to pay. So, one cannot assume that a supplier always produces the same quality. The same supplier makes the excellent seats found in a Porsche and the awful seats normally found in a Corvette.
+1 exceedingly well stated. When I sourced my winter wheels I opted for a set of lightly used OEM 18s as I wanted OEM quality and to preserve the OEM appearance of the car. There is something else that the OP should consider and that is resale value/issues. Trading in or privately selling a car that has aftermarket wheels might prove a bit problematic/impact the value if the buyer is anything like me and prefers the OEM look. To me there is just something about seeing a fairly new A6 with aftermarket wheels that makes me start to wonder. No offense meant to anyone with aftermarket wheels just saying that aftermarket wheels may have some unintended consequences. OP if goes aftermarket should hang onto the OEM wheels for resale purposes IMHO.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-07-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
OP if goes aftermarket should hang onto the OEM wheels for resale purposes IMHO.
+1!
Old 02-19-2023, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 electrical problems beware

Originally Posted by rxbruner
As you see in my other thread, I'm looking to give my A6 a softer ride. I think I want the 18 inch wheels with Continental tires. I can easily see how much the tires cost.

I was at the dealer yesterday (EGR getting replaced today under warranty). I asked what the price range would be for new wheels and tires. He said "oh about $4000-$5000". Is that really the cost? I figure I'm going to pay $250 per tire.

I see wheels on tirerack for $200-$400 per wheel.

Where are they coming up with the $4000-$5000 price tag? Is there something else I need to buy besides the wheel/rim and the tires? Is there some large amount of work it takes to put these on?

Where do you suggest shopping for wheels/rims? Are there brands that are highly recommended? I'm going with black because my car has the black option.

Thanks for helping me out. I'm not a car guy.
.. so I’m not sure how long ago you bought your Audi a6 but I have never seen so many problems with these cars in MYLIFE ! They seem to have electrical problems all the time as I see the same complaints by so many people.. and they told my brother a new set of tires would cost 2500,that’s just the tires alone.. his other Audi is also very costly to fix and all I see is Audis are cars I would never buy myself and NEVER recommend anyone buy. AUDI DEALERSHIPS I CANT FIGURE OUT WHY AUDI THEMSELVES CANT EVEN FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CARS WHEN YOU TAKE THEM IN TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE.. if Audi can’t even figure out what’s going on with their own cars when you take them in to get looked at wich ive seen several same stories, BE CAUTIOUS BUYING AUDIS AND IF YOU HAVENT BOUGHT ONE YET DO NOT BUY AUDIS THEY ARE A HEADACHE ALL AROUND
Old 02-19-2023, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aren’t warranties suppose to cover tires or rims if the car is less than a year old?

Originally Posted by gigistarr
.. so I’m not sure how long ago you bought your Audi a6 but I have never seen so many problems with these cars in MYLIFE ! They seem to have electrical problems all the time as I see the same complaints by so many people.. and they told my brother a new set of tires would cost 2500,that’s just the tires alone.. his other Audi is also very costly to fix and all I see is Audis are cars I would never buy myself and NEVER recommend anyone buy. AUDI DEALERSHIPS I CANT FIGURE OUT WHY AUDI THEMSELVES CANT EVEN FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CARS WHEN YOU TAKE THEM IN TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE.. if Audi can’t even figure out what’s going on with their own cars when you take them in to get looked at wich ive seen several same stories, BE CAUTIOUS BUYING AUDIS AND IF YOU HAVENT BOUGHT ONE YET DO NOT BUY AUDIS THEY ARE A HEADACHE ALL !!!!..AROUND
i
Old 02-19-2023, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gigistarr
.. so I’m not sure how long ago you bought your Audi a6 but
@gigistarr Please do not step on other people's posts. The original poster is looking for information about wheels. You're whining about a car you don't even own. Please go away.