Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

HUD and Automatic Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by younger64
I wasn't able to find similar examples in the forums or through a google search. Am I missing something here?
I live in Germany and month ago had such problem with HUD when I was driving. Outside temperature was more than 30 degrees and it was direct sunlight to HUD. Projection slow disappeared and after some time recovered. I understood that the reason was a high temperature, It was only once and I did nothing.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer has been quite reasonable, and I will continue to work with them on this one, but sounds like they have run out of ideas, so I may call Audi Canada tomorrow. The car is only 4 months old, so I am a bit worried about what this issue says about future reliability.
Direct sunlight and heat will kill electronics and electronic displays. I have no idea why so many people here think dealer service departments always lie and cover up and can't believe something obvious, there always has to be an agenda going on.

That being said, if you continue to park into the sun, get a sunshade and you won't have the problem.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though I have not had the problem described in this thread I must say that my car has tint on all windows including the windshield. The few times it has been exposed to direct sunlight for several hours I do not believe the interior temperature was much more than 110 - 120 deg. F. That is just my seat of the pants estimate. The window tint does block a fair amount of IR as well as UV. That said not everyone has all their windows tinted. It would seem to me that an over temp condition is certainly what may be causing your HUD to shutdown but the real question is why is it happening in your car. You might have the dealership check the behavior of some A6's on his lot, if they have the HUD, to see if they also exhibit the condition after sitting out in the direct sunlight. even though they may have measured an extreme temp inside your car what is the HUD experiencing for a temp, they are not necessarily the same. As you have mentioned this issue you have is not common among owners of the A6 or A7 so I would keeping pushing them to determine why the HUD is seeing an over temp condition.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Direct sunlight and heat will kill electronics and electronic displays. I have no idea why so many people here think dealer service departments always lie and cover up and can't believe something obvious, there always has to be an agenda going on.

That being said, if you continue to park into the sun, get a sunshade and you won't have the problem.
I'm sorry if I gave an unfavourable impression of the dealer. That wasn't my intent. I don't believe the dealer service department is being dishonest in any way. They have treated me with nothing but respect. I just do not agree with their diagnosis that the car has no problem. It is so dramatic that today it happened in partial cloud with an outside temperature of 22.5 C (73 F).

As for a sunshade, does it seem reasonable that one is required to ensure a car performs as advertised? There is no mention of this issue in the literature or the manual.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
You might have the dealership check the behavior of some A6's on his lot, if they have the HUD, to see if they also exhibit the condition after sitting out in the direct sunlight.
Thanks for the constructive comment and great idea. I did see an A6 with a HUD in the showroom when I was there. I will suggest that to the dealer.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Video of the issue

I talked to Audi Canada today, and also took a video of the problem, just to make sure there was no confusion as to its details. I sent the video to Audi Canada and the dealer. Already the dealer has responded that they will be pursuing it further. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the video of the issue. I hope this might help anyone else who has the same problem.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm sorry if I gave an unfavourable impression of the dealer.
As for a sunshade, does it seem reasonable that one is required to ensure a car performs as advertised? There is no mention of this issue in the literature or the manual.
Comment wasn't directed at you.

So, you expect the manual to say if you leave the car pointed into the sun the inside will get hot? Maybe they can add that to the 70 pages devoted to hooking up seatbelts.

Whatever.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm seeing some personal shots starting to fire up here. Let's keep it civil, guys.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in Texas, never had a problem. This is clearly an issue with the equipment, seems that the light sensor is mis wired or is faulty. Did you take the car to a very dark area after and see if HUD functioned but dim?

Last edited by Metallic-Force; 08-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Light Sensor

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Did you take the car to a very dark area after and see if HUD functioned but dim?
Great idea. I did try to see if there was any sign of the HUD display when I had the issue today and I couldn't see any, but if it was faint enough I might not be able to see it unless the car was inside. So far I haven't been in a position where I was near indoor parking when it happened. I will park outside on the weekend and then bring into the garage once the HUD disapears. On the work order notes the dealer did indicate that the HUD functioned but was dim. Your idea of a light sensor that fails when warm sounds pretty plausible to me at this point.

Quick Reply: HUD and Automatic Headlight Problem