Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

HUD and RF

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD and RF

My condo complex just changed their security company and now we use RF cards instead of remote gate openers. The windshields on cars with HUDs are thicker and does not allow the RF signal to communicate. Has anyone else come across this problem? Are there any solutions for this besides opening window to dangle the card as I pass the gate sensor? It is really annoying especially on rainy days/nights and with the recent cold weather. Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
My condo complex just changed their security company and now we use RF cards instead of remote gate openers. The windshields on cars with HUDs are thicker and does not allow the RF signal to communicate. Has anyone else come across this problem? Are there any solutions for this besides opening window to dangle the card as I pass the gate sensor? It is really annoying especially on rainy days/nights and with the recent cold weather. Thanks
You might call the security company and explain your issue. Perhaps they have a stronger transmitter they can provide?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Try holding the card at the top of the windshield. The HUD windshield is tapered and is thinnest at the top. My EZ pass had instructions to install it there.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you. I tried holding it at the top and no luck. The think is, EZ pass, we call is hi-pass (same thing), uses a power source to boost the signal. But te standard RF card doesn't have a power source to boost the signal. The security company had many complaints with the same case from the people who owned BMWs and Audi with HUDs.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I was in the dealers lot looking at the A6's and A7's. I was looking at the side mirrors and wondering if you could put your RFID card in there. I was also looking to see if it could be put behind the grill. Then I looked the car over and came up with what might be a better idea.

Tape the card to the inside of the sunroof glass. The glass might be thinner.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I was in the dealers lot looking at the A6's and A7's. I was looking at the side mirrors and wondering if you could put your RFID card in there. I was also looking to see if it could be put behind the grill. Then I looked the car over and came up with what might be a better idea.

Tape the card to the inside of the sunroof glass. The glass might be thinner.
Great idea for inside the sunroof shade. I tried and it didn't work. I don't think I'll put it in the side mirror, wouldn't how to do that. Another problem, if the card is hidden, I would get a huge @ss do not park here sticker on the windshield at condo complex. That is really difficult to remove and second time violators are towed...

Myself and at least 200 BMW owners are trying to get the condo complex to change the RF cards to vehicle license plate recognition system at the gates and the security company can use hand held scanners for checking later in the garage parking lots. Problem is that there aren't enough people with the problem. The complex has 6,780 units and only around 300 people this problem.