Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I love my A6 but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove an A4 loaner and I can relate what OP means. It is not about power but it is generally easier to toss the car around. Even my A6 with S Line sport package can't compare. And when I test drove the S4 the rear sport diff brings handling to another level.

That said, I would still pick the A6. For once my wife needs the Night Vision not available in A4, and the A6 features are at a different level.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a few folks said, I guess we all have different definitions of "fun"

I have driven an A4 that our company has on a few work trips. It did not compare to my Volvo S60R in terms of fun quotient drivability, power, being able to toss it in the corners, etc.

Now I still have the S60R - will sell it at some point, just have not gotten around to it but the A6 blows it away in terms of fun to me. And I loved the s60R. Held on for over 125K miles because I could never find a car I liked better . . til the A6

Why - the effortless power, stability and handling of the A6. yes, you may not be able to toss it in the corner and have it behave exactly like a smaller car, but given its size, it handles brilliantly. Just yesterday I was out in my S60R, made a wrong turn, got stuck on a highway where I could not turn around and had to go 12 miles to the next exit. So I an driving like a bat out of hell to try and make up time as I was late and all the time, I am thinking damn, wish I took the A6 today as the S60R feels no where as confident as the A6 on the road (and I have had the S60R on the track). The power and stability at high speeds is crazy with the A6. And I have pushed my S60R hard in the past, but in doing so yesterday the difference between the two really struck me.

So for me, the fun quotient easily falls on the A6 over the A4 and even my beloved S60R

But if your main criteria is the ability to toss the car in the corners, I could see how you could have a different conclusion
Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
...in my opinion it is not as "fun" to drive as my A4.
...and in the same regards a BMW 5 series is not as "fun" as a 3 series, a Mercedes E is not as much "fun" as a C (all other things being relatively equal).
Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

As NVThis said - I went from a 2012 A6 to a 2013 S4. They basically are modified the same way - Ohlins coilovers, Stasis Chip, AWE Exhaust, Intake.

They are two completely different vehicles - I dearly miss the luxury of the A6. But the sheer on the edge, terrifying performance of the modified S4 outweighs the luxury benefits of the A6 for my personal desires.

I had my A6 on the track many times and it was very fun, but the S4 makes the palms sweat so much more. The sport diff in the S4 is like the hand of God in a tight, high speed turn.

They are both amazing platforms and neither is "better" than the other. It's about preferences and I, personally am much happier in a manual transmission S4. At the same time, I can see that a large proportion of drivers would prefer the A6.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Helmar
To me, this is a non sequitur. As soon as it's available, I plan on installing the Stasis ECU on my 2014 A6.
Well you'll really be slipping a few notches down the fun factor pole then
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Three months ago I traded in my 2012 S4 for the 2013 A6 3.0 Prestige with 20" sport. There is simply no comparison between the two in performance driving - the S4 is more fun, has more power, and is easier to control. However, 90% of my miles driven do not allow for performance driving and having the 6-spd in the S4 was starting to wear on me. Overall, the total driving experience of the A6 is better with comfort, technology, and luxury but it still is not as fun as the S4. I also find myself still having a hard time getting used to the brakes on the A6. They seem too soft and often times I feel like I am stomping on the brakes and coming close to colliding with the car in front of me even though my driving behavior is less aggressive now.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TB1000
Three months ago I traded in my 2012 S4 for the 2013 A6 3.0 Prestige with 20" sport. There is simply no comparison between the two in performance driving - the S4 is more fun, has more power, and is easier to control. However, 90% of my miles driven do not allow for performance driving and having the 6-spd in the S4 was starting to wear on me. Overall, the total driving experience of the A6 is better with comfort, technology, and luxury but it still is not as fun as the S4. I also find myself still having a hard time getting used to the brakes on the A6. They seem too soft and often times I feel like I am stomping on the brakes and coming close to colliding with the car in front of me even though my driving behavior is less aggressive now.
I think the point most are making it's really about compromise and priorities with any car, "fun" being one of several priorities. I also miss the "tossability" of a smaller car, and openly long for the new 981 Cayman (former 986 owner), but then I drive my A6 car for an hour in traffic, haul my two kids to various practices, take my wife out for a nice dinner... and thoroughly appreciate its traits - tech, luxury, and overall performance, that no other car has.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And the OP mentioned an A4. The S4 is a different animal altogether
Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tucker74
I think the point most are making it's really about compromise and priorities with any car, "fun" being one of several priorities. I also miss the "tossability" of a smaller car, and openly long for the new 981 Cayman (former 986 owner), but then I drive my A6 car for an hour in traffic, haul my two kids to various practices, take my wife out for a nice dinner... and thoroughly appreciate its traits - tech, luxury, and overall performance, that no other car has.
I'm with you on this. I have a 986, and I drive it back to back against the A6, and they are totally different animals. It's all about size, weight and character. The A6 is a luxury car, and while it's a good handling car, it's not a sports car -- the 986 particularly so, as it's so raw. I have no aspirations in the A6 to drive hard (and given urban traffic, it's difficult to find those opportunities), whereas the 986 loves nothing more than an open road. There's no isolation, no luxury, and no room in the back seat of the 986, whereas the A6 gives all of those.

The S4 would be a car that I'd want if I only had one car, as it's a compromise between the two.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I don't think you read my post closely. As stated I am perfectly happy with my A6 and wouldn't go back to the A4. It is a luxury vehicle, it looks pretty and has nice bells and whistles. It glides around effortlessly at whatever speed is asked of it. I was just commenting that for sheer driving fun the A4 wins out. Its not all about 0-60.

The A6 is a bit more of a "grown-up" car and as I have two kid seats in the back I guess that is just fine.
I know exactly how you feel- I came from a Bmw 335i and wanted a bit more room and the A4 was about the same size so when a friend let me drive his new A6 I was smitten by the luxury, smoothness and style. I bought a new 2012 Prestige 3.0 and was very excited. But as I lived with it longer I noticed that the size/weight of it made it less fun to just throw around/park in normal city driving. On a long trip up the coast or on the frwy. it was top notch but day to day driving in the neighborhood left me wanting for the smaller, easier to manage car. I also felt it was a bit too "grown up" for me and I was trying to make it work. You won't believe it but I just put it up for sale (see classifieds here ) with 7600 mi./10 month old. I just leased a new Volt that does not have the same quality or space but is more fun to drive around the city- mini tesla type instant 275lbs of torque in sport mode and fun to steer- very solid, never thought GM could do this. The fact that I don't buy gas and can drive alone in the carpool lane is just an added bonus. If anyone has driven total electric power with some torque- this is the future and you will never want an ICE car again. They just need to build a smaller Telsa in the $50,000 range.

Quick Reply: I love my A6 but...