Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interior radar or phone mounts A7/S7/A6/S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior radar or phone mounts A7/S7/A6/S6

I'm taking delivery of a S7 in March, and trying to use all my anticipation as positive energy as planning out any installs/mods in advance. I already purchased the WeatherTech mats/liner, I have a tint shop (3M Crystalline) lined up, and I'm narrowing down a shop that does X-Pel Ultimate as well.

For the inside of the car, I hope to find a better cup holder solution; maybe one that clips onto the console, and holds a larger cup over the passenger footwell. Anyone find anything like that yet?

I just took delivery of a Valentine One with remote display & Savvy (I sold my old one, hard-wired into my Acura). Now I'm trying to figure out where I want to locate the remote display. I'll make the final decision once I'm able to actually drive my car and see what places are the easiest to see (and reach for the muting button). Right now, I'm thinking on (or cut into the trim) on one of the sides of the gauge cluster...maybe I could fit it behind the steering wheel, but I'm afraid it will be more difficult to reach the mute button. Anyone done anything similar? (see my lame marked-up stock A7 photo) In my old Acura, I had the remote display in the only spot it seemed to blend-in, but it was lower than I wanted it (see second photo).

Lastly, I want to add a place to mount my iPhone, (maybe left of the SD card slots?) with power running to it, to charge. Anyone seen any cool little docks that hide in the storage area in front of the shifter? I'm also wondering if I can get a custom shop to run a cable from the AMI port in the center console, to the iPhone, with a switch in the cable, so I can run the music off my phone, or alternatively, switch to the iPhone only being charged, while the AMI is connected to an iPod in the center console. In my 2005 Acura RL, I had a mount running to a converter box that turned my XM input into an iPod/iPhone input - it worked great (see photo). I don't need that in an Audi obviously, but I do want to have my phone out, and charging, rather than hidden in the center console, or laying in a cupholder. My main goal is being able to have the iPhone easy-to-access, always charging, without having to unplug whatever I have connected to the AMI port.

Randy
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding your iPhone, once it's connected to the mmi via BT, you have full access to your phone. (Missed calls, recent calls, phone book). There is an extra charge port in center console if you want to charge it. I'm not a big fan of any phone mount. Not to mention it mess up the beautiful interior line, and its a good rattle noise producer!