Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

iPhone 5 Video / DVD Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
Yep, clearly it's the adapter. Obviously Lightning can output video, since it does output to HDMI.

We have a few hopes:
1 - Audi Lighting Grommet
2 - Apple Lightning 30 pin Adapter with Video
3 - Audi HDMI Grommet
Technically all are possible. It's just a matter of if Apple or Audi want to market it, or allow someone else to do it.

Basically based on "current" hardware Lighting is digital and Audi's AMI is mostly analog.

You can convert the Lighting output to Analog A/V and even inject the power for charging, what's missing though is the data control to allow the MMI control of the iOS device.

Likewise you can also convert the Lighting to Analog Audio, power for charging, and data control, but the video is missing.

Someone in the Audi accessory market could technically make something that do it all. However, Apple would unlikely bless it, might shut it down, and even the R&D might not be enough to develop it. Audi (and others) have moved on to updated systems. IE next gen MMI is prob 2015 so why bother with development on something that's already on the way out. Same with 30-pin dock, composite (analog video) it's all on the way out.

We're just kind of stuck.

I still have hope that if someone we're to wire it you could take the lighting to digital adapter, convert to analog A/V then take the USB from the digital adapter and combine both into a new one off hobby AMI cable. At the least you get the power for charging and analog a/v all connected to the AMI. It's "POSSIBLE" Apple passes through the digital control on the USB and not just power so it might be controllable by the Audi AMI. Until someone who understand the AMI pin-out's build the custom adapter with USB AND composite A/V out's into it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For example this was the solution that Pioneer had for their radios. Cable wise it's quite simple. We would need to add in the HDMI to Composite Analog Adapter and someone would need to split that customer AMI cable with USB and Composite Audio Video (with perhaps some tweaking)

Hardware wise it would work. I can't say if some changes to the AMI software or iOS would be required. Pioneer did have to update the firmware in their Radio's so that imply's it's perhaps more than just proper hardware. As long as you're tricking the AMI into thinking it's an iPOD it's got a better chance of working since Pioneer was initally using a different solution with 30-pin that I don't think Audi had to contend with.

If I knew more about the AMI cable wiring and was more capable at wiring I would give it a try.