Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Just got my non-fixable flat tire replaced OUCH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got my non-fixable flat tire replaced OUCH!!!

Couldn't of come at a worse time on Saturday. The wife and I were leaving a wedding going to the reception. I hear my rear right tire kick something up. About a minute later my TPMS goes off, AARRRGGHHHH. Didn't want to change a tire in my suit so I called roadside, they said I was looking at at least an hour wait. Didn't want to be late for the reception, so I just said screw it, I'll change it. The moment I step out of the car it starts to rain. Got it changed and back on the road in about 10 minutes so it wasn't too bad. The plastic bag they give you for your flat really does come in handy.

I take it to the tire shop the next day, find out that it is not repairable and will need to replace it. Of course the 20" are specialty tires so I had to get them delivered. $520 later she's back to normal. Moral of the story, get the wheel and tire protection, it will save you $$$ in the long run.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Noooooooooo, I just turned down the tire and wheel policy tonite.... :-(
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackz06
Couldn't of come at a worse time on Saturday. The wife and I were leaving a wedding going to the reception. I hear my rear right tire kick something up. About a minute later my TPMS goes off, AARRRGGHHHH. Didn't want to change a tire in my suit so I called roadside, they said I was looking at at least an hour wait. Didn't want to be late for the reception, so I just said screw it, I'll change it. The moment I step out of the car it starts to rain. Got it changed and back on the road in about 10 minutes so it wasn't too bad. The plastic bag they give you for your flat really does come in handy.

I take it to the tire shop the next day, find out that it is not repairable and will need to replace it. Of course the 20" are specialty tires so I had to get them delivered. $520 later she's back to normal. Moral of the story, get the wheel and tire protection, it will save you $$$ in the long run.
Wow..$520? Yeah, I'd imagine most tire shops don't carry the tire. How much was the Wheel and tire protection? didn't even look at it since the 19" are a little (ok, a lot) more reasonable to replace.

As a side note, the spare/jack is fairly easy to access and use. Any damage to your rim?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure how much the protection is, even if it is 1k, you are already out ahead if you get 2 tires replaced. I have to agree abou the jack, one of the easiest to use out there. Just put the plastic cylinder in its place and crank it up. Took me about 2 minutes to get it lifted. 1 minute was spent looking for the reccessed housing to put the jack in.

Fotunately no damage to the wheel itself. The damage was on the tread, not the sidewalls. I still want to know what I ran over; there was about a square inch of the tread that looked mangled.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got quoted $800 for the wheel and tire protection. I wanted to buy it but the dealership did not have any spare contracts. I think I will ask them again...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default America's Tire $64 dollars a tire

is what I was quoted for the same thing. It good until the treadwear indicators which will be about 12-14K miles
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default New tire on AWD cars

I was informed that on AWD cars, you can't change just one tire, as that would place an imbalance on the transmission which could cause issues.

Perhaps this is so only on my AWD car (Lexus).....

I'm looking to purchase an A6 next year....

HBH
Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the heads up Helmar. Pretty sure it should be ok, as I only have about 1k miles on them
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I was informed that on AWD cars, you can't change just one tire, as that would place an imbalance on the transmission which could cause issues.

Perhaps this is so only on my AWD car (Lexus).....

I'm looking to purchase an A6 next year....

HBH
You can on any car so long as it's the same tire and the tread wear is under a certain amount (I believe it was 2/16" or something close to that).
Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Black Z and fellow Z owner, the costs of fancy tires is always astonishing. My 09 Z06 had new tires in the $2,400 range after 16,000 on the OEM tires, ridiculous! So I am not surprised at the cost but I figure I will take the chance. And if I replace it I will replace it at Discount Tire and get their road hazard policy. I too was quoted $800 plus and decided to pass.