Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Just ordered 2013 S6

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Stay away from San Antonio! I'll get jealous!
Also, good job on the B&O, the Bose Blows hard! New sub here I come!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Congrats! Stay away from San Antonio! I'll get jealous!
Also, good job on the B&O, the Bose Blows hard! New sub here I come!
Is the Bose really that bad? I mean aside from the "its in ear of the beholder" arguments, is the Bos system really substandard? I struggled with the B&O decision for a few weeks, but couldn't get my head wrapped around the $5,900 price. It's practically Six Thousand Dollars! For that money you should at least get a Blu-ray player and maybe built in video screens or a pair of dockable iPads for the passengers. Maybe later I'll regret not getting the B&O, but for right now that money is better kept in my pocket!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For $6K you can have a system put in that would make your ears thing you were at a strip club w/ all the goodies!!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The best thing to do IMHO is to listen to both and then decide if the $6K is worth the difference to you; this is one of those topics that are very subjective.

My take was that the B&O did indeed sound better, and that both systems need a bit more bass. If I sat in my car with the engine off for significant periods listening to music, then it might be worth it for me. At commuter/highway speeds, however, I thought any audible difference was completely masked by road/wind noise. I also felt the Bose had enough oomph to drive the speakers at a reasonable volume even with highway-speed noise in the cabin. Since my typical driving pattern is suburban/freeway driving, most of the time I'm traveling at 30-80MPH with the associated ambient noises. Under these conditions, I couldn't justify the (in my view, huge) price difference.

I also did some listening with an iPod as well as a CD; I did not try BT streaming. I could not tell a dramatic difference with 128KBps AAC; with a CD there was more detail with the B&O, and I thought the treble was a bit more balanced. THe B&O also seemed to push higher volumes before I could hear distortion, but since I did not measure SPL, this is subjective as well.
Again, once driving, the differences became immaterial in my view; noise dominates any subtle differences I could hear when parked.

The way I see it, if I want better sound (mid/high) after driving the car for a bit (I'm still waiting for delivery; my car is somewhere in the Panama Canal right now), I can always replace the speakers on the front doors and the tweeters on the dash for well under $1K and get a dramatic upgrade. I will be upgrading the subwoofer and probably would have done so even with the B&O. In my experience, replacing rear door speakers/tweeters makes virtually no difference to the front seat occupants, and the rear passengers tend to be tethered to ipods.

Good luck with your decision making. I spent weeks trying to pick a color, and I only stopped worrying once my car was built, since I could no longer change my mind....
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scorpiojoe
Is the Bose really that bad?
Yes, at least the way I see.

I think it should have been standard on all the A6 models, or at least starting from the P+.

It delivers decent sound, but it lacks in base quite a-bit. Also, maxing it out isn't hard for me, I see the volume reaching 30(34 is max) when the windows and sunroof are all down. Something I do on a daily basis since I miss having a convertible. It's mostly highways here, so 80mph and over is my usual speeds.

Maybe I should have got a Shelby...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, the "Prestigious" Bose system, isn't very fancy, it's mid-range.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Bose really that bad? I mean aside from the "its in ear of the beholder" arguments, is the Bos system really substandard? I struggled with the B&O decision for a few weeks, but couldn't get my head wrapped around the $5,900 price. It's practically Six Thousand Dollars! For that money you should at least get a Blu-ray player and maybe built in video screens or a pair of dockable iPads for the passengers. Maybe later I'll regret not getting the B&O, but for right now that money is better kept in my pocket!
I think we made the right choice, because for only a fraction of the cost we can have the speakers & sub upgraded, which I think would be a much better value
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think the Bose sounds that bad. Its sufficient for my taste. My A4 with the B&O does however sound better than the Bose in the A6. Can only imagine how good the B&O system is in the A6 but the price is far higher than it was for the A4. $5900 vs $900 (can't recall exact amount).
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dht34
I don't think the Bose sounds that bad. Its sufficient for my taste. My A4 with the B&O does however sound better than the Bose in the A6. Can only imagine how good the B&O system is in the A6 but the price is far higher than it was for the A4. $5900 vs $900 (can't recall exact amount).
Is it a simple matter to swap out the Bose system later for an after-market setup (speakers, sub, amps), or would that interfere with the MMI system?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bump...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bump...
I know you're new, but check out the many many topics regarding the subject you're bumping about.

Quick Reply: Just ordered 2013 S6