Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED or HID Headlights????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Why do lemans cars use them now? For worse performance?
Really - you want to compare high performance race cars to passenger sedans? That is a straw man argument

And I never said "worse performance". What I said was the LED lights are significantly overpriced for what you get

But if money is no object, they do have the cool / uniqueness factor factor going for them. Performance wise, not so much
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the LEDs and I like them a bunch! They definitely make the car stand out. I'm not sure if they are worth $1500 but I'm glad I got them.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Really - you want to compare high performance race cars to passenger sedans? That is a straw man argument

And I never said "worse performance". What I said was the LED lights are significantly overpriced for what you get

But if money is no object, they do have the cool / uniqueness factor factor going for them. Performance wise, not so much
You do know that all car manufacturers use their performance cars to develop and innovate products that trickle down to their passenger cars. Right? If they're using it at the top of their line then performance wise it must be better right? I would think they would know what kind of headlights perform better (led vs hid) a little more than you.
1250 for clear visibility adds to safety for you and pedestrians. . That's a cheap price to pay for safety if it means protecting your family.
What is straw man argument? I don't know what that means.
Never mind I looked it up.
You pay to play. Led is better. Anyone knocking it hasn't lived with it. On these forums only hid cars try to downplay them. It works very well at night. It was designed for function, but has the form as well.
Lastly when you paying $55+ for a car 1250 is not a big deal for what it offers.

Last edited by joseaudi; 06-12-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will say that the cut-off is second to none - absolutely no glare in even the worst conditions. Check out this thread for a review of me driving through a blizzard.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CarlMarshall
Hello friends sorry for old thread reply but I am looking to get new led lighting headlights for my car. I am confused in HID or LED. Please tell which one is best.. Money is not a problem so please help me out..
Thanks for reply
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think both lights look great, but I have to say I do prefer the HIDs. I've never missed having the LEDs at all.

I can't speak for the performance of the LEDs, but I can say the HIDs perform better than any other light I've had in any car and are more than ample in any situation I've been in. They're nice lights.

At the end of the day it's really just preference. I know I'm certainly in the minority on this point (both in this thread and in others), so I just wanted to raise my hand from the back of the class and raise a vote for the HIDs.

With this car I think you'll be happy with either one. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snagit hit this on the head, but I think his comment might have been missed. It is great that money is no object. Others might agree that the LED upgrade is not worth it. However to convert your HID over to LED is not the same price as the upgrade from the factory. From what I recall, it is substantially more to do this post production. Someone from Canada did a rebuild of an A6. I think they documented the cost to replace the LED headlights. Thousands was the number I remember.

Do a search and look it up, but it seems to be an extreme waste of money to convert to LED's if you ask me. Should have bought the car with LED's in the first place. My advice is save the money for the next car and don't forget that option.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Deer, I think that poster kind of dropped into the thread with that upgrade question but never said what he was upgrading. All that managed to do was rejuvenate this old thread where we now have the same HID vs. LED back and forth as before.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
You do know that all car manufacturers use their performance cars to develop and innovate products that trickle down to their passenger cars. Right? If they're using it at the top of their line then performance wise it must be better right? I would think they would know what kind of headlights perform better (led vs hid) a little more than you.
1250 for clear visibility adds to safety for you and pedestrians. . That's a cheap price to pay for safety if it means protecting your family.
What is straw man argument? I don't know what that means.
Never mind I looked it up.
You pay to play. Led is better. Anyone knocking it hasn't lived with it. On these forums only hid cars try to downplay them. It works very well at night. It was designed for function, but has the form as well.
Lastly when you paying $55+ for a car 1250 is not a big deal for what it offers.
They also use those technologies to upsell to consumers. And this is not a safety issue. The HID bulbs also provide extremely clear visibility.

You say on these forums, only HID cars try to downplay them. I could turn around and say on these forums, only LED cars try to upplay them to justify their decision

Look, bottom line is Audi provides options. If you want to spend $1,500 on LED lights for the coolness / uniqueness factor, go right ahead, it is your money. Everyone should spend their hard earned dollars how they wish. But please do not deceive others who ask that performance wise they perform $1,500 better or are so much safer. They do not and are not.

This is just like if I go out and drop $1,500 on aftermarket wheels. I would be doing so because IMO they are much more unique and make the car look better, but I would be deceiving folks if I said they performed that much better
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not to throw fuel on the fire...But check out the video of this LED flashlight video...Scroll to the bottom...

For me the comparison was as evident as this when I compared the HID to the LED illumination on the Audi...The HID had this bluish hue and the dispersion was all over the place.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f3b7/?srp=5

Quick Reply: LED or HID Headlights????