Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED or HID Headlights????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand this correctly, it is not just the additional $1,500 but you also need to get the Prestige trim level, which is about $3,500 more than Premium Plus to have the LED option.. too bad, i really cant afford another 5k just to have the LED option
Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I really love the full LED headlights on my 2012 A6, and I'm glad I got them.
Not for their practicality or safety, but just for the looks.
I was driving on the highway at night time the other day and I saw another A6 with full LED headlights approaching from behind.
The LED lights looked very cool, and I was happy that I look like that too on others' back mirrors.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

I am also on the fence about LED lights when I order. The way I see it, Prestige package "unlocks" new options like a video game at level 3. So why go Prestige if you're not going to use it for ordering unlocked options? Well, I have yet to see photos of side-by-side comparisons of actual light output. Color temperature could affect the "brightness" between the two, so I'm looking for actual photographic proof that LED's throw light farther and wider. However, since LED lights are not adaptive and self-leveling, I think paying the extra money for them defeats the purpose.

I did find a video showing functionality of adaptive lights and other items now included in the 2014 driver's assistance package.

After watching the video, I think I'll stick with prestige but pass on LED. I don't think it will affect resale value much.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually every time I start my car with full LEDs it appears to level , as I see the beam rise and lower then settle in.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I am also on the fence about LED lights when I order. The way I see it, Prestige package "unlocks" new options like a video game at level 3. So why go Prestige if you're not going to use it for ordering unlocked options? Well, I have yet to see photos of side-by-side comparisons of actual light output. Color temperature could affect the "brightness" between the two, so I'm looking for actual photographic proof that LED's throw light farther and wider. However, since LED lights are not adaptive and self-leveling, I think paying the extra money for them defeats the purpose.

I did find a video showing functionality of adaptive lights and other items now included in the 2014 driver's assistance package.

After watching the video, I think I'll stick with prestige but pass on LED. I don't think it will affect resale value much.
LED's are self leveling just like pretty much any luxury sedan lights are these days. As have been mentioned in this thread, they are also 'adaptive' from the stand point they can change the widest of throw of light. It is an amazing system and in my opinion way better than turning the light which cast shadows and can affect your vision.

As for the brightness, it isn't even a comparison. I think when I went into the Vag-Com settings last that the LED lights come from the factory set at 11% brightness. That's right, 11% and they are way brighter than any HID. I don't know of any Audi's that I can take a side by side picture of but I can take a picture of my LED's next to my wife's M5's if anyone would be interested.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww

The LED headlights don't need to be "adaptive" as they throw light at much wider angles than HID's are able to do. On each side, there are 6 individual low beam symmetrical, 3 individual low beam asymmetrical and 3 individual high beam (plus separate cornering) LEDs. As a result, they are aimed precisely for all angles full time, including to the sides for curves. And yes, they do self level upon start up to compensate for the car's load angle.

While, based on your last sentence it sounds like you have made up your mind (or are still waffling based on your other comments), you might want to reconsider - the LED headlights are one of the most notable signature features of the A6/S6 C7 and give the car a very distinctive and unique appearance. (And I've had three other Audis with HIDs to reference).

In another few short years, LED headlights will be the standard for all but the lowest end autos.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I doubt LED will be the norm just like HID, despite being available for years, is still not the norm. 3/4 of the cars I see on the road still have good old halogen. I also think that the LED look like a string of christmas lights and that the HID projectors enhance the front end.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

When first introduced, that's what they said about power steering, ABS brakes, auto transmissions, personal navigation, color TVs, tablet computers, smart phones, CDs, on demand movie streaming, etc., etc. (And let's not forget what they said about the horseless carriage).

Technology keeps advancing and gets less expensive over time and LED lighting is no exception; less energy, higher performance and longer life improves every year while costs continue to drop.

LED lighting technology is already popping up everywhere in cars, i.e. driving, interior and brake/signal lights, even in entry level cars. Are LED headlights destined to be as common as power windows or radial tires? We'll see, but I wouldn't bet against it.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven

While, based on your last sentence it sounds like you have made up your mind (or are still waffling based on your other comments), you might want to reconsider - the LED headlights are one of the most notable signature features of the A6/S6 C7 and give the car a very distinctive and unique appearance. (And I've had three other Audis with HIDs to reference).

In another few short years, LED headlights will be the standard for all but the lowest end autos.
This is a great point that I didn't even mention. There is a reason that Audi made a commercial completely revolving around its headlights. Whether the headlights are on or off they really enhance the front end and give it a look like no other car currently. LED's are becoming more and more popular but currently no one does them as good as Audi.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tucker74
I doubt LED will be the norm just like HID, despite being available for years, is still not the norm. 3/4 of the cars I see on the road still have good old halogen. I also think that the LED look like a string of christmas lights and that the HID projectors enhance the front end.
I agree completely. There is a HUGE cost differential between good old halogen bulbs to HID then to LED.

Even if LED technology becomes cheaper, it will be a long, long time til the cost differential disappears, if it ever disappears. So you will not see a majority of manufacturers making LED headlights standard as theres is no incentive to do so. It is not like they improve fuel economy, nor do they improve user experience or safety. So all you are left with is the uniqueness factor. If someone wants to pay for that, then the manufacturer may gladly sell it to you for a very profitable upcharge like Audi does. But they are not going to increase their manufacturing cost in a competitive market when there is no need to

Quick Reply: LED or HID Headlights????