Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED or HID Headlights????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
...I feel the bi-xenon lights in my M37S threw a far longer light than my A6 does, problems is that due to LED or just poor design a direct A6 comparison would help that argument.
The problem is that they're aimed too low from the factory. The LED lights throw out a lot of lumens and, if you get the dealer to adjust them up a smidge, it will change your whole outlook on their effectiveness.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
The problem is that they're aimed too low from the factory. The LED lights throw out a lot of lumens and, if you get the dealer to adjust them up a smidge, it will change your whole outlook on their effectiveness.
I adjusted mine with a screwdriver (one side was higher than the other) it is is so easy.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

FWIW, I just compared my LEDs side by side with the HIDs on my allroad (fortunately I live on a dark street with no street lamps). The LEDs throw whiter light, longer and wider. The high beams on the A6 in particular, are considerably brighter and and throw a beam much farther. The height adjustment on both cars is similar and seem fine. Any higher on the low beams would dazzle oncoming drivers. (I actually had the allroad lights adjusted some time ago as I was getting flashing headlights from others).
Old 09-16-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Any higher on the low beams would dazzle oncoming drivers. (I actually had the allroad lights adjusted some time ago as I was getting flashing headlights from others).
Perhaps there's some variation between cars. If, like mine, the light peters out before it should, then it's likely aimed too low. An adjustment is a cheap and easy fix before writing-off the LEDs as "meh". With them aimed a little higher, I no longer need to use the high beams at city speeds (in dark areas) just to get the throw I need. No-one has flashed me thus far, so I don't think they're high enough to dazzle oncoming drivers. The cut-off is very precise with the LEDs, so they will have to be really out of whack to affect other traffic.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Perhaps there's some variation between cars. If, like mine, the light peters out before it should, then it's likely aimed too low. An adjustment is a cheap and easy fix before writing-off the LEDs as "meh". With them aimed a little higher, I no longer need to use the high beams at city speeds (in dark areas) just to get the throw I need. No-one has flashed me thus far, so I don't think they're high enough to dazzle oncoming drivers. The cut-off is very precise with the LEDs, so they will have to be really out of whack to affect other traffic.
It does sound like they weren't calibrated properly. I had to have a headlight adjusted on my then new '09 A4 after a few weeks of being flashed at. Turns out, one of them was aimed too high at the factory. When you get behind a standard sized vehicle a few car lengths back, the lights should cut off just below the top of their trunk.
A thought: do you see your lights go through the self leveling process as you start the car at night or in the garage?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had both-- HID and now LED. I do most of my driving on interstates at night.

For me personally, it's no contest. I believe the LEDs are far superior to the HID, the lighting is brighter, the area illuminated is really ideal, the brights are impressive. The fog lights and cornering function illumination is fine.

The comment about signage at night looking as though it is almost electrified is spot on.

Yes, they do look cool, but they also have the performance to back that up, IMHO. I would not go back to HID.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamoleddisplays
Indeed, I still can't seem to see photographs of next to each other examinations of genuine light yield. Shading temperature could influence the "splendor" between the two, so I'm searching for genuine photographic verification that LED's toss light more remote and more extensive. Notwithstanding, since LED lights are not versatile and self-leveling, I think paying the additional cash for them invalidates the point.
Every time I start my car my LED lights self-level up and down.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have LED's on my A6 and on my Acura MDX, I would not buy another car without LED lights as they are so superior to the HID I have on my A4. When I first got my A4 I thought the HID's were beyond great until I get my A6 and now the HID's especially on low beam seem apthetic, high beam is still good but the LED's are superior in brightness, cuttoff, side illumination, in all ways.