Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Letter extending warranty for 2009-2013 3.0T engines? Not exactly..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Has anyone here received this letter? If true, it's disconcerting on the one hand and reassuring on the other. A bad news, good news kind of thing.
Received my letter today. Has anyone asked Audi what driving conditions are most likely to cause this issue?

"Audi has determined that, under certain driving conditions, carbon buildup can occur on the engine cylinder head secondary air ports."

Old 08-17-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Would there be any proactive steps we could take to prevent this carbon buildup?

i.e. using a fuel system additive?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I received my letter Friday and it mentions that the warranty extension is for the Emissions Control Systems and specifically for the engine cylinder head secondary air ports. I really have very little concern for this issue but if the problem should arise within this extended warranty period all the better.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received my letter yesterday.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, they will cover the ports but nothing else that may carbon up after the reg wty.
So, I'll exercise my right to remain concerned, if that's ok.
For the life of me I don't know why unless you have enough good fortune to have nothing else to expend energy on.

"If" your car has a problem, it's covered. Not much to worry about. How about the 4000 other things that could fail that wont be covered? :-)

Sorry , but life's too short
Old 08-17-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Satch0922
For the life of me I don't know why unless you have enough good fortune to have nothing else to expend energy on.

"If" your car has a problem, it's covered. Not much to worry about. How about the 4000 other things that could fail that wont be covered? :-)

Sorry , but life's too short
You have a PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Would there be any proactive steps we could take to prevent this carbon buildup?

i.e. using a fuel system additive?
Read this thread. I have an 08 A6 3.2 and it suffers from the carbon build up issue. There does not appear to be a way to prevent it. There are a few myths out there though that I personally don't believe at all: Myth 1: Drive it like you stole it will help. Myth 2: Using top tier gas and only audi approved oil will help.

Several RS4 DIY'er have done both of the above with NO affect on the carbon build up as it still happened. A fuel system additive won't do anything as our engines are direct injection therefore fuel never hits the intake area like it did/does on port injection engines.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...gathread/page3

Last edited by Midwestuser1; 08-18-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Read this thread. I have an 08 A6 3.2 and it suffers from the carbon build up issue. There does not appear to be a way to prevent it.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...gathread/page3
that thread does not give one a warm and fuzzy feeling
Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
that thread does not give one a warm and fuzzy feeling
I did a lot of reading on this issue prior to purchasing my A6 used. You could ignore it until it gets to the point of triggering a CEL for a poor cold startup. Then get the manual carbon cleaning done. It also seems that the other manufactures that utilize direct injection that don't have this issue also added a secondary port injector that still washes the valves.

What doesn't make sense though is how this issue still cannot be designed around 8+ years after direct injection has been around with a better designed crank case ventilation system.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received my letter today.

Since my intent has always been to keep this car for a long time, carbon build up is a concern for me. Glad Audi is stepping up to cover it (whether forced or not), but appears this could be a big ticket item if it manifests after the 100K miles. I really wish we knew definitively what the "conditions" are that precipitate the problem, or what can be done to help prevent it.

This is a reason why I don't regret buying the Audi Care - glad it will be serviced by Audi for a while yet. Ill plan on taking the letter with me for the 15K service (imminent) and see if service has any ideas for mitigation.

Quick Reply: Letter extending warranty for 2009-2013 3.0T engines? Not exactly..