Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Looking for black emblems

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably. Goo gone worked fine for me. Used it on my last BMW too. I wash it off right after I'm done. I'd post a pic from my iPhone but no idea how to do it from the phone
Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjc1083
Please post pics, I think I'm going to take my rear badges off on the first hot day. Wd40 is supposed to be good, goo gone ate the hood of my e39 540i so I'm a bit scared of it. I asked the local detailing shop but they won't do it. Do you think the dealer would for a half hour of labor or what not?
Check this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2813752

It was started by '3PedalMINI' who removed his badges and has pics in the post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WannaS6
True. I could try that. But I don't want them matte. Anyway, just removed all of them today. What a pain in the ****! Lots of goo gone used! Ordered the shiny black rings yesterday and a black/red Quattro badge for the front. Should look good. I'd love to get rid of the chrome surround on the front grill but that ain't gonna happen.
Please post pics!!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
Please post pics!!
Check the post I referenced, there are Pics in there
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

found a problem, the badges I've seen, and unfortunately purchased, will NOT fit our cars. The rear emblem isn't as big a deal, it's a little smaller than the current rear badge. I COULD use that one, but I like it a little bigger.

The real problem is the FRONT emblems for sale are 10.75" inches wide. I, of course, did not measure my emblem first because I'm just way too smart for that, and it's about 1/2 an inch to narrow.

argh!!!!! anyone have any ideas? Yes, I guess I could just buy another chrome badge and spray paint it glossy black, but I bet I screw it up and the paint doesn't look right.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to purchase the emblems you bought, now I will not be.....thanks for letting us know. Not sure what color your car but my car is brilliant black and I think matte would look odd with it.

I removed the engine badging on my car today, it was a pain in the *** like you said. Luckily I had goo gone to help me. I am weary of using this stuff, i always wash it off, I don't use my hose as water spots form but I have distilled water in the gallons that I use to wash my cars and it washed off. I tried plasti dipping the grille matte black and it did not turn out good so I had to use a lot of goo gone to get rid of the plastidip.

Unfortunately looks like we are going to have to either spray paint these or wait for a company to release black badges that will fit our C7.

Have you thought about tinting the taillights? I ordered smoke smoke "vinyl tint" for the rear, my friend who is a pro is goign to apply these on my car, its not the "ghetto black out" look its a nice smoke look and gives the tails a cherry look.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
I was going to purchase the emblems you bought, now I will not be.....thanks for letting us know. Not sure what color your car but my car is brilliant black and I think matte would look odd with it.

I removed the engine badging on my car today, it was a pain in the *** like you said. Luckily I had goo gone to help me. I am weary of using this stuff, i always wash it off, I don't use my hose as water spots form but I have distilled water in the gallons that I use to wash my cars and it washed off. I tried plasti dipping the grille matte black and it did not turn out good so I had to use a lot of goo gone to get rid of the plastidip.

Unfortunately looks like we are going to have to either spray paint these or wait for a company to release black badges that will fit our C7.

Have you thought about tinting the taillights? I ordered smoke smoke "vinyl tint" for the rear, my friend who is a pro is goign to apply these on my car, its not the "ghetto black out" look its a nice smoke look and gives the tails a cherry look.

I'm glad there's finally someone who likes to mod cars like I do. Seems to be a dearth of that for the new A6. When I had my 2005 A6, this board was full of people doing what I do. And I don't mean really mod the car, as in messing with the supercharger or doing a Stasis upgrade. I just mean physically, and I am lowering the car with H&R springs this week and upgrading to 19 inch wheels

not sure what you mean by removing the engine badging, you mean the badges under the hood? Or just the grill. I won't do plasti-dip for exactly the same reason, it'll chip and look matte. I want glossy black. The rear emblem is pretty close that I bought but not quite as big. Only talking about 1/2 inch but still...

I'm nervous to buy the rings again from the dealer (which I just did, $50 each!) and paint them. I don't know if they need to be sanded and primed or just sprayed. Afraid they'll chip too.

I used goo gone with no issues at all btw. As for water spots, I am constantly rinsing the car as I wash it so when I dry it, it's always wet and I try to park it in the shade.

My car is black as well, not sure which black, i just noticed that there're some sparkles in it when the sun hits it, looks great. I need to tint the windows as well. I don't tint the tails on my cars personally. I don't love that look. I am still debating putting the quattro badge back on the grill. I ordered a black/red one and also a black/red S-Line badge that I might use instead.

To get the rings off the grill, I had to drill them out. Yes, drill. I could not fit a screw driver or even a blade in between the rings and the surrounding painted surface with damaging the paint.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

And since I've saved my old rings, even though I broke them, I might just buy a can of black gloss spray paint for plastic and play around and see how well it works without sanding and priming. Can't hurt...
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

bright glossy red might be cool too...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WannaS6
And since I've saved my old rings, even though I broke them, I might just buy a can of black gloss spray paint for plastic and play around and see how well it works without sanding and priming. Can't hurt...
Wash with dish soap to remove wax and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol just before painting. Don't touch them or wear gloves after the alcohol.

Dupli-color has a product out for black chrome look called Shadow. It's two cans - one base and one clear. I bought a kit for a pair of Lexus headlights I was modifying but haven't used it yet.

Quick Reply: Looking for black emblems