Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Massachusetts E-ZPASS .where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massachusetts E-ZPASS .where to put it?

I just got my A6 2 days ago, and love it. Lots to learn, but a big improvement over my much loved 2006 Infiniti 35X. However, with the rear view mirror attachment on the A6 being so large, there is no place to hide(or at least partly hide )the E-ZPass Transmitter from view from inside the car. Where have you placed the device in your car? Does it work if put on the warning sticker on the visor, or even under the visor when it is folded up? For now I just hold it up, but do not want to sit blocking the highway entry to try various positions to see what works. That would require many trips on the highway to find out. Any suggestions? In any case, I am glad that this is the only complaint about the A6 that I have at this time!The car is so quiet I can actually enjoy the classical music I love. Never expected the ambient noise to be so low.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The transmitter has to be in direct line of sight to the toll readers so I'm pretty sure it can't be read from the folded up visor. I have mine just to the right of the mirror housing near the top of and attached to the windshield. While the damn thing is ugly, I have it placed so at least I can't see it from the driver seat as it's hidden behind the housing. Unfortuanately, there's no other better option that I've found where it's not visible in the car to passengers short of attaching it outside to the roof (which of course, is not really a viable option).
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The transmitter has to be in direct line of sight to the toll readers so I'm pretty sure it can't be read from the folded up visor. I have mine just to the right of the mirror housing near the top of and attached to the windshield. While the damn thing is ugly, I have it placed so at least I can't see it from the driver seat as it's hidden behind the housing. Unfortuanately, there's no other better option that I've found where it's not visible in the car to passengers short of attaching it outside to the roof (which of course, is not really a viable option).
I could put it on the exposed warning sticker on the visor, and remember to fold it down when on the highway, but I would have to look at it all the time when it is folded up. I may try it on the visor folded up to see if it works. But you may have found the best place when all is said & done. Wonder if it could be sprayed black without violating a rule?

Last edited by dssdmd; 03-30-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dssdmd
Wonder if it could be sprayed black without violating a rule?
I thought about that but I read somewhere that paint would obstruct the signal and I didn't want to take a chance. After 8000 miles on my A6, it's not really a priority anymore. Lots of other stuff to focus on. Stick it up there where I suggested, faggeddaboutit and enjoy the car.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transponder is an RFID device operating in the 900 MHz band. As such, it is "line of sight" only in the sense that there is no curvature, but that doesn't mean there can't be some non-metallic intervening material between it and the toll booth equipment.

I had the misfortune to be issued a bright orange EZ Pass (then Fast Lane) transponder when MA ran out of the regular ones. For my A6 I put it in a black pouch originally made for a little camera, and velcro'ed the pouch to the windshield, just to the right of the mirror assembly. It works fine.

Paint would work, but unless you have access to a spray booth it's going to look pretty bad. And when the battery dies and you have to turn it in, the authorities won't be happy with you.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 387 Likes on 348 Posts

I wonder if they are still issuing these external-mount transponders?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You could try black plasti dip.. If it doesn't work, peel it off!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sgroer
You could try black plasti dip.. If it doesn't work, peel it off!
The challenge with this is when you're approaching the toll booth, it doesn't work, the traffic is piling up behind you with disgruntled, honking drivers and you're then fumbling with the thing trying to peel off the dip. Or worse, you fly through one of the high speed toll reader lanes and the bells, lights and sirens go off and you're either chased down by a squadron of state police cruisers salivating at your impending incarceration or, at best, you get a bill later with a hefty fine that you now have to fight.

Nice idea, though. Let us know how it works.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Amazon to the rescue

I have just ordered something that apparently works, according to the reviews> Expensive, but more attractive than the uncovered transponder designed by E-Zpass.

T Case - Bold Black I Pass Holder, EZ Pass Holder, I Tag Case, Smart Tag Holder, I Pass Holder, Fastlane Pass Holder : Amazon.com : Automotive T Case - Bold Black I Pass Holder, EZ Pass Holder, I Tag Case, Smart Tag Holder, I Pass Holder, Fastlane Pass Holder : Amazon.com : Automotive

If it doesn't work, Amazon has a great return policy. When I received a counterfeit iPhone Otterbox Defender cell phone case from an Amazon reseller, I got a full credit plus return postage after Amazon sent the seller an e-mail on my behalf. If you read the reviews on Amazon for plastic suction cup E-ZPass holders from various companies, they melt in the hot sun, or drop off from moisture in winter weather. This device uses the original super strong velco that the MA Dept of Transportation sends with the transponder.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dssdmd
I have just ordered something that apparently works, according to the reviews> Expensive, but more attractive than the uncovered transponder designed by E-Zpass.
Expensive for what it is, but interesting. Report back if it works out. Or if you need bail money.

Quick Reply: Massachusetts E-ZPASS .where to put it?